Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

Your guide to Ireland's ferry services

News:New Forums - if you experience any problems, please e-mail [email protected]

W.B.YEATS DELIVERY IS DELAYED

(Read 43195 times)

ferryfan

When she does arrive a planned protest will take place ...British and Irish unions will be present...Irish Ferries still pay terrible wages to mostly eastern european crews ...and the prospect of employing local crews is a million miles away..shame on them.....lets hope there is a big turn out

Why would the Irish and British trade Unions not "organise" the present crews and encourage them to joint a Trade Union for better conditions / pay? Surely this would be better than expecting to replace the current crews (regardless of where they are from) with people who may not want to work anyway.

A good question!  I don't know anything about Irish TU law, but in Britain you can be recognised by a union if more than 50% of the workforce vote to be so.  The question is: would the current IF employees vote in this way? Ryanair have recently had to recongise and pay more to staff they employ outside Ireland.

Matt

It's a long story but basically in about 2004 ICG threatened to withdraw services they sacked almost their entire workforce and outsourced their jobs they re-registered their vessels to the Bahamas in order to avoid being bound to local labour laws. As it was put at the time they chose to fly the Flag of Greed. Minimum wages statutory workers rights entitlement to leave were all done away with and the new workers brought in were working for about 1/3 of the former Irish workforce.
So as they staff are outsourced and the ships registered outside the EU there is no  chance of any union  recognition for the workers.

Steven

When she does arrive a planned protest will take place ...British and Irish unions will be present...Irish Ferries still pay terrible wages to mostly eastern european crews ...and the prospect of employing local crews is a million miles away..shame on them.....lets hope there is a big turn out
I doubt ICG management are trembling at the prospect tbh.  They've faced down the unions before and I don't see them changing their stance.  In any case Irish Ferries don't employ the crews!  Its not like they even care about bad publicity (just look at how much of that they've shrugged off this year alone).

Why would the Irish and British trade Unions not "organise" the present crews and encourage them to joint a Trade Union for better conditions / pay? Surely this would be better than expecting to replace the current crews (regardless of where they are from) with people who may not want to work anyway.

A good question!  I don't know anything about Irish TU law, but in Britain you can be recognised by a union if more than 50% of the workforce vote to be so.  The question is: would the current IF employees vote in this way? Ryanair have recently had to recongise and pay more to staff they employ outside Ireland.

Matt
Would it not be a question of Cypriot law anyway given the crews are employed by a Cyprus based company?  If the crews are happy enough with their T's & C's (and it seems they are) what incentive is there for them to join any union?  In context the wages they are paid are good compared to what they could get back home.  The maritime labour market is very international - what's to stop Irish Ferries/Matrix replacing them with even cheaper crews from the Far East for example should they decide to cause "trouble" (and its not unusual for Philippines nationals to work on ships based in the EU)?  I wouldn't be surprised if there are people queuing up for a job on a modern EU short-sea  passenger vessel despite the wages - better than working on an antiquated tanker or cargo vessel sailing long distances for even less money!

Getting 50% of any company to vote to join a union can be a big ask these days in any case, you only have to look at ballot participation to see how many people actively engage in TU's these days.  Union membership in the UK at least (I can't speak for ROI  as I honestly don't know) is quite low (especially in the private sector) despite some very public walkouts in recent years.  Just look at the issues around unionising at Ryan Air, and we are talking about well paid highly educated people (pilots).
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Chef

Ther's a reason the ships are registered in Cyprus .

brainferry

Any news of when Dublin / Cherbourg sailings will commence ?

Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:10:46 AM by brainferry

IFPete

Dublin - Cherbourg is operating three times per week with Oscar Wilde X1 and Epsilon X 1.

I see WB Yeats is doing circuits outside Flemburg Fjiord with Detination little belt 7 Nov 2018,

brainferry

Thanks Pete

I meant when will summer sailing schedule resume WB Yeats or Oscar Wilde ?

Camp sites and villas bookings are filling up and there will be little choice left soon.

We would have had our summer accommodation booked long ago at this stage in previous years.

ferryfan

According to today's Irish Times ICG have made a design change to the WB setting aside space on one of the upper decks as a "contingency" duty-free shop, should the brexit fiasco result in the return of cheap fags and booze sales.

jgf

Thanks Pete

I meant when will summer sailing schedule resume WB Yeats or Oscar Wilde ?

Camp sites and villas bookings are filling up and there will be little choice left soon.

We would have had our summer accommodation booked long ago at this stage in previous years.

I presume they will stick with what they originally advised with WB starting on Dublin Holyhead and moving to the Dublin Cherbourg around Easter until to September. 

IFPete

We have to wait and see. Anything is possible.

Steven

According to today's Irish Times ICG have made a design change to the WB setting aside space on one of the upper decks as a "contingency" duty-free shop, should the brexit fiasco result in the return of cheap fags and booze sales.
Interesting they don’t actually say what the source of this information is and whether it is just speculation or not.  To be honest “setting aside space” could be as simple as having a plan to condense other displays in response in the same way as supermarkets often do to incorporate seasonal events such as Xmas and Easter. 

Of course for duty free to return it would probably need the agreement of the EU so it could be incorporated into the relevant customs and trade deals anyway (an issue somewhat complicated by the border in Ireland).  Else you could have the scenario that the appropriate duty is slapped on at arrival in any EU port!  That also then raises the question of who pays for the infrastructure to impose those tariffs - there could be a strong argument that as the ferry companies are making a killing on duty free it should be them (perhaps an increase in passenger fees would be the mechanism?).  As I’ve said before I doubt it’s at the top of the negotiating agenda of either the EU27 or the UK.  Good potential to boost revenue though, but I wouldn’t be planning any booze cruises just yet.  It might be different for airports as most of them already have the spaces and infrastructure there anyway meaning it could be as simple as changing a flag in the EPOS software to charge whatever the agreed amount is at the point of sale, as is already the case.  What I’m trying to say is any deviation in tariffs between IE and UK could end up having a cost for ferry operators that would need to be passed on to passengers who might still be subject to tariffs in the end but, not so much airlines.  If duty has to be paid entering the EU but not the UK it could be a bit of a nightmare!   It a a matter of wait and see as IF Pete says I suppose!

Here’s the link to the story anyway https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/icg-makes-space-on-new-ferry-for-post-brexit-duty-free-sales-1.3686027?mode=amp
Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:08:05 PM by Steven

CH1

WB Yeats is confirmed on the 15th of March in Cherbourg, according to Harbour Masters.

She will finish her summer season sailings around the 10th of September.

giftgrub

Irish Times article is for them very strange, referencing no sources and saying WB arrived last month which we all know is horse sh1t.

From the article

Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesselschaft blamed one of its own suppliers for the delays. The ship arrived here last month and is undergoing sea trials.”

Would make one think story placed to generate some good PR in the absence of good news.

ferryfan

WB is heading back to FSG tonight.

IFPete

They have moved the Freighter being fitted out to the other side of the pier.

Steven

Irish Times article is for them very strange, referencing no sources and saying WB arrived last month which we all know is horse sh1t.

From the article

Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesselschaft blamed one of its own suppliers for the delays. The ship arrived here last month and is undergoing sea trials.”

Would make one think story placed to generate some good PR in the absence of good news.
It is very strange for the IT, even the style of it.  As you say possibly placed to generate a bit of good PR