Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Welcome to the Irish Ferries Enthusiasts forum.

Stena Line fleet movements(Read 1150397 times)
Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2595 on: August 11, 2019, 11:27:39 AM
Whats up with the Stena Superfast X gone technical? since yesterday.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2596 on: August 11, 2019, 03:43:56 PM
back in action sailed from Dublin this afternoon on time.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2597 on: August 12, 2019, 04:55:04 PM
I thought that the bridge wings were going to be enclosed?  None of the pictures I have seen so far seem to show that this work has been done.

Matt

No, was expected that they might, but not happening this time (though never say never) works were underneath and unseen areas, engines, tanks, hull, funnel, props, shafts,, etc, then replace all windows, some ceilings, barista bar and shopping area upgraded, full paint strip back, remove damage hull sections replace and full repaint, car deck work, removal of remaining half deck 4 to give full height on deck 3, MES installation and exterior decks refurbished,hopefully also bathrooms on deck 8 got some attention, also stairwells were mentioned so hopefully a bit bigger and nicer.

Will attract plenty of attention from the enthusiastic ferry fans when it’s back, spotting the changes, for the general public not too much different.

In case anyone is forgetting what it looked like, plenty of images here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/albums/72157623466806142

Many thanks.  I'm sure I read about the bridge wings being enclosed on here!  I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Matt

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2598 on: August 12, 2019, 09:01:57 PM
I thought that the bridge wings were going to be enclosed?  None of the pictures I have seen so far seem to show that this work has been done.

Matt

No, was expected that they might, but not happening this time (though never say never) works were underneath and unseen areas, engines, tanks, hull, funnel, props, shafts,, etc, then replace all windows, some ceilings, barista bar and shopping area upgraded, full paint strip back, remove damage hull sections replace and full repaint, car deck work, removal of remaining half deck 4 to give full height on deck 3, MES installation and exterior decks refurbished,hopefully also bathrooms on deck 8 got some attention, also stairwells were mentioned so hopefully a bit bigger and nicer.

Will attract plenty of attention from the enthusiastic ferry fans when it’s back, spotting the changes, for the general public not too much different.

In case anyone is forgetting what it looked like, plenty of images here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/albums/72157623466806142

Many thanks.  I'm sure I read about the bridge wings being enclosed on here!  I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Matt

Was expected/ hoped given the large scale of the refit that the bridge wings would see attention, I suppose on a value for money basis better to spend the money downstairs and continue to provide nice warm jackets for the bridge crew to use when docking.

Images on Facebook also show all external deck rails on decks 9 & 10 have been refurbished and new wooden top finishers applied, look really good.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2599 on: August 13, 2019, 02:35:05 PM
I wish they’d taken the opportunity to re-size and position the Stena Line logo and red stripe on the hull. It always looked too low down and too far forward previously, when there is acres of hull space to raise it up and move it back a bit.
I’ve never liked the logo-forward look on Stena ships, seems to curve round the bow on most and looks distorted as a result. It is fine on the Superfasts though, but most other ships it is just a tad too near the bow!
Stena Europe and Stena Nordica are the worst for this though, really needs the blue boot topping raised to at least the top of the belting and the red line applied straight!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:36:54 PM by Stena Fergus »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2600 on: August 14, 2019, 09:43:32 PM
Some images of the Europe during its refit in Turkey.

New MES clearly visible in second image along with MES lines coming down the hull, new windows also clearly visible.

https://foursquare.com/v/gemak-shipyard/4d9b11a2e086a35d6905c8ad
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:45:59 PM by giftgrub »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2601 on: August 18, 2019, 08:21:50 PM

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2602 on: August 20, 2019, 07:22:11 AM
1st September not looking good given no movement, sea trial on 27th July last time.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2603 on: August 20, 2019, 09:14:49 PM
Stena Europe has left drydock in Tuzla this evening, hopefully for the last time on this refit. Given the date, would not expect to see it back in service until end of September at earliest, given the next important date for all living in Ireland and UK, might be prudent for Stena to keep Nordica in Ireland with opportunity to run Irl - France on a daily schedule if required (according to Irish Times today, not impossible).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/call-for-state-to-devise-alternative-ship-routes-to-europe-1.3991248
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:21:19 PM by giftgrub »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2604 on: August 21, 2019, 08:56:46 AM
Ignore my previous post about Europe leaving DryDock last night, it has gone back into drydock last night, was in a wet dock for last few weeks, we await its next move, as when it leaves drydock this time it should be fully fixed and ready for a return to service.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2605 on: August 21, 2019, 03:57:14 PM
they have to take a shaft out to repair it approx 2 weeks, then sea trials, then back to fishguard maybe :-\

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2606 on: August 26, 2019, 09:27:53 AM
Looks like Europe is due back in service from the 16th September

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2607 on: August 26, 2019, 09:50:28 PM
A glimpse of the Europe in drydock , posted on the Facebook by Anil Günes.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2608 on: September 02, 2019, 09:33:53 PM
Stena Europe in Tuzla today.

Crop from image posted by Yalçin Kara on the Facebook today.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #2609 on: September 04, 2019, 08:39:04 PM
Stena Europe has left drydock in Tuzla and now should begin Sea Trials in the next few days, fingers crossed these are successful and the issues which have delayed its departure are resolved, once it leaves Turkey it will require MES testing etc on its return to Fishguard so still at least three weeks before returning to service