Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

Stena Line fleet movements(Read 1260490 times)
Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1335 on: March 09, 2014, 03:07:24 pm
Getting this forum back on track .... With regards to Superfast VII and VIII, In addition to the maintenance already undertaken on VII a couple of weekends ago and her second upcoming weekend off (below) 22-25 March, Stena Superfast VIII will be off service at the layover berth at Loch Ryan Port from 0200-1500hrs on Sunday 30th March. Her final trip will be the 2330 ex Belfast on Saturday 29th until she resumes with the 1530 ex Cairnryan on Sunday.

And the former Superfast X will be joining the Irish Sea Stena Line Fleet before the end of 2014.

The topic only drifted off track because of your post that the IOI and Epsilon are changing over positions. The next few posts were discussing the pro's / cons of such a move.
As with all forums the topics do tend to drift, it happens live with it or don't post things that will cause the topic to drift.

Also you haven't answered the question about the IOI and Epsilon being rumour or fact.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:09:05 pm by MAKman »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1336 on: March 09, 2014, 04:55:11 pm
Sorry did not realise the words forum back on track were so offensive my bad ( intention was to post fleet info thats all)

Of course inishmore / Epsilon switch is a rumour but if the Superfast X is going to Dublin and the Swift is liklely to be withdrawn then it makes sense to switch them to maximise capacity in Dublin I dont expect IF to do nothing about Stenas increase in capacity and service quality.

Untill Stena and Irish Ferries confirm their intentions its all just rumours.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1337 on: March 09, 2014, 10:31:56 pm
Whilst the withdrawal of the Explorer has been well-flagged and expected for a long time, replacing it and the Nordica with a Superfast and focusing solely on Dublin Port is risky unless the Superfast can match or come close to the Explorer's current journey time.

IF were very quick to ensure their Swift was only performing one round trip for a very limited time back in 2009/10 when oil prices peaked, so I'd be very surprised if their response to the withdrawal of the Explorer was a total withdrawal of the Swift too.

If both fast ferries disappeared next year it would do nothing to enhance the ferry tourist trade.  Two pairs of slow ferries following each other across the central channel to the same destination is not offering much choice for the consumer.   

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1338 on: March 09, 2014, 11:28:20 pm
Fast Ferrry Fan (and others!),

I think Giftgrub is right in what he says "Until Stena and Irish Ferries confirm their intentions its all just rumours."

We've all made assumptions based on a possible sequence of events that may take place later in the year/early 2015.  Some are very likely and others are pure conjecture on our part.  I would venture to say that only the likely arrival of Dieppe Seaways would be worth taking to the bank at this stage.  Anything else (ship or port related), even stuff being posted as "very likely" is pure (educated!) speculation.  I include myself in this too by the way!

For now (remembering the title of the thread!), it's as you were until further notice :)

Pete

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1339 on: March 12, 2014, 10:16:04 pm
Some cool images of the Stena Scandinavica in drydock alongside the Victoria Seaways, I know the Scandinavica is big, but it looks huge alongside the DFDS vessel.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=834776759882532&set=pcb.834777919882416&type=1&theater

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1340 on: March 13, 2014, 08:34:39 pm
Looking forward to seeing the mighty Stena Explorer back on the Irish Sea in four weeks time, 9th April.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:48:07 pm by HSS »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1341 on: March 14, 2014, 12:58:01 am
Does anybody know why Stena are introducing an earlier departure time from Dublin from March 30th? The Adventurer currently departs at 21:15, but from March 30th she will depart 45 mins earlier at 20:30 and take an extra 15 mins to sail to Holyhead.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the Stena HSS back in service from 9th April, but with all the talk about this being her last year in service? I do believe this is true, judging by the Facebook posts Stena keep posting.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1342 on: March 17, 2014, 01:01:45 pm
Stena are tweaking the Stena Hibernia schedule with it now expected to remain in Belfast from Friday afternoon until Monday. Her first sailing of the week will be 1500 ex Belfast on a Monday instead of 0300 from Birkenhead

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1343 on: March 17, 2014, 04:05:03 pm
For those that missed it in the other thread, Stena have stopped offering non-landing trips on all services.  It is still possible to do a day return at a reduced rate but you have to disembark when the ship reaches port (and remember to get back on again).

Should also mention I am having to access the site from my phone again due to technical issues so won't be much from me for a while.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:30:58 pm by Steven »
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1344 on: March 17, 2014, 07:05:46 pm
thats a drag, i hate having to get off, why have they done this?

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1345 on: March 17, 2014, 09:32:26 pm

Officially I haven't a clue, but I'm sure its a right PITA having to do a turnaround with all the cleaning etc that goes with it and having people getting in the way/making more mess!

Edit: there used to be a documentary on YouTube which showed the crew during turnaround on one of the cross channel ferries but can find it.  Think it was P&O as pretty sure it was in English (there are seafrance ones in French which are good apart from the French)

Looks like the technical problem is fixed!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:55:05 pm by Steven »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1346 on: March 19, 2014, 06:19:49 pm

Edit: there used to be a documentary on YouTube which showed the crew during turnaround on one of the cross channel ferries but can find it.  Think it was P&O as pretty sure it was in English (there are seafrance ones in French which are good apart from the French)

Here you go!  Bit shorter than the French one, but much more understandable

P&O Ferries Spirit of Britain on Channel 5's Supeā€¦: http://youtu.be/FxjCZfPjzKA

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1347 on: March 22, 2014, 10:50:06 pm
Both European Highlander and Stena Superfast VII where off service today at Harland and Wolff shipyard.  Whilst the Stena maintenance had been planned, European Highlander suffered serious technical problems towards the end of last week and so was drydocked this morning.  This has meant North Channel services to both Cairnryan ports have operated at half capacity.  P&O's Express Catermaran is also at Harland and Wolff being readied for her planned return to service At the end of the month.

Stena Hibernia left Belfast laden this evening just after 7:30pm bound for Cairnryan in order to move trailer traffic across the channel and I assume she will also return laden.  At present European Highlander is still in drydock, and Superfast VII is scheduled to be off service tomorrow as well, so all sailings are expected to be very busy again tomorrow.

At present the active fleet is as follows:

P&O Larne - Cairnryan:

European Causeway

Stena Line Belfast - Cairnryan:

Stena Superfast VIII

Stena Hibernia (unaccompanied freight relief)

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1348 on: March 23, 2014, 04:22:03 pm
As expected Stena Hibernia returned back to Belfast and discharged at Victoria Terminal 1 (the Heysham berth), according to her AIS track.  Stena Precision is currently on the VT1 berth, but Hibernia is scheduled to sail to Cairnryan again this evening returning at 07:30.   Yesterday's sailing was unscheduled. 

Although Hibernia is scheduled to run again tomorrow night, I believe Superfast VII is to return tomorrow evening instead of Tuesday morning as scheduled.  Obviously this will relieve the pressure on VII massively as she is currently 75% of the passenger capacity on the North Channel!  The decision to switch Hibernia's layover to Belfast is certainly paying dividends though!   European Highlander remains in drydock though Express has moved to Larne (see P&O thread). 

Edit: further info added
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:52:00 pm by Steven »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1349 on: March 24, 2014, 04:36:37 pm
Following SF VIII's departure, Stena Superfast VII has made her way to the Belfast berth at VT4.  Looks like she will be running this evening.