Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Trouble logging in? Click here

Stena Line fleet movements(Read 1281533 times)
Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1305 on: February 23, 2014, 06:28:59 pm
Having seen Fishguard's figures for the past few months its hard to see how Stena could justify any significant investment in Nordica.  She has more than enough Freight capacity and from a business point of view is it really worth increased year round costs to satisfy seasonal peaks of passengers who are going to pay the lowest fare possible anyway?  More passenger facilities = more crew and remember there will be more capacity at Holyhead to soak up any overspill.  There's a bigger picture to think of as well and without giving anything away this could be more viable than initially meets the eye.  Running Nordica at higher speed however is likely to eliminate any cost savings gained in the first place though.

Regarding Stena's crewing nothing has happened yet but the company know their local crews are an asset but like any business manpower is a major cost.  HR costs can make or break any company (unless you are subsidised by the French state ;) )

IF explorer does operate next year I'm pretty sure it will be her last.  Her costs are still quite eye watering especially given her lack of flexibility.  She's also nearing her 20th birthday so costs are only going to climb now.The costs required for any conversion would be very hard to justify given her age, particularly for a company striving to become more efficient.  The superfasts are highly marketable and the HSS is all but forgotten in Belfast by Joe public.

EDIT: Should also add that Fishguard - Rosslare figures for both December and January show passenger numbers are down on last year.  Explorers figures yoy can only be described as awful!

The Rosslare - Fishguard/Pembroke stats have been pretty scary for a few years now.  Looked at coldly, there is realistically no business case for two operators on pretty similar routes there particularly in the off season where both are almost totally reliant on freight traffic.  Nordica is a good compromise solution though if Rosslare-Fishguard is to be maintained for market share purposes.

I'm not too sure about the Explorer figures you quote Steven - the DOT figures for throughput at Dun Laoghaire are pretty similar for 2012 and 2013 from what I can see. Obviously way down on past years though, the seasonal single tripping and uncertainty going back to 2009 has really hurt the route and damaged it's viability.  I tend to agree that Explorer is in her final days (a great shame IMHO) but I'm not sure the same goes for the route.  Remember, that even with the extra capacity IF still run (occasionally!) Swift twice a day all year round for the tourist market and as I mention so often, to maintain market share!  I know the operator and the harbour company have been talking here - hope something comes of it!

OK, so these are the figures from Shippax which come from Stena themselves for Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead

Last year Dec 2012-Jan 2013 (24 trips) - average per crossing:

Pax = 576
Cars = 171
Coaches = 0
Trucks = 0.38

This year per trip - Dec-Jan (18 crossings)

Pax = 462
Cars = 135
Coaches = 0.88
Trucks = 0.33

So you have an average of less than 500 passengers per crossing and a decrease of around 40% (total figures) in both passengers and cars.  Any company that can sustain those sort of figures has bottomless pockets or headed the same way as TransEuropa, etc.

Rosslare - Fishguard figures are not much better tbh, last summer the average load was 430 pax in July and 560 in August so there isn't the need for a 1400 pax vessel (or the associated costs) .  At the moment Nordica has only space for 400 passengers, but it wouldn't take a lot from what I understand to find the space to expand that number.  In the process she could be freshened up inside a little and you have a decent wee economical workhorse of a ship which could serve the link for many years to come (and take over Europe's refit relief duties when required as well).  With numbers like those its hard to see why any company would want to run her at max speed (and take a big hit in costs as a result, remember the increase in fuel used as opposed speed gained is far from linear).

Regarding Dun Laoghaire I think its time is up.  There wouldn't be much point in Stena paying to maintain and man 2 facilities so close to each other to serve similar ferries to the same destination.  The only reason Stena are still there is that the infrastructure for Explorer is already in place. However if Nordica where replaced with Dieppe Seaways or similar the extra capacity would more than cover Explorers poor carrying's when she does run and still cost less to run.  With the current cost cutting going on, this is exactly the type of "luxury" operation which is under threat.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1306 on: February 23, 2014, 07:10:58 pm
If the Superfast goes to Dublin the Explorer will be finished, there is no business case for running the HSS if they have two large conventional ferries.

What the Nordica would allow in Rosslare is the chance of an extra round trip if the bookings justify it, it has the speed and on busy summer weekends, it may be justifiable, they will need to increase passenger capacity though before it transfers or they will be running Sold Out on quite a few days, last September there were 8 or 9 coaches on a crossing along with about 100 cars, can the Nordica take this much at the moment ?, would need to be able to carry around 700/800 to cater with max demand.

Here is an image of the Dieppe Seaways in Gdasnk for refit with DFDS for the last time ? (not looking its best)

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1307 on: February 23, 2014, 07:44:01 pm
Have had a chance to look at the figures for Rosslare - Fishguard in December and they make interesting reading when compared to Dublin- Holyhead

On passengers carried

Rosslare - 16,228 on 67 crossings av pass per trip - 242

Dublin - 57,033 on 222 crossings av pas per trip - 256

On Cars Carried

Rosslare - 4,953 on 67 crossings av cars per trip - 74

Dublin - 14,560 on 222 crossings av cars per trip - 66

On Freight

Rosslare - 1,194 on 67 crossings av freight per trip - 18

Dublin - 14,447 on 222 crossings av freight per trip - 65

Obviously freight is where the money is made and the figures ex Rosslare for freight are appalling, however when you look at the self loading freight (passengers and cars) its not as big a difference as one would first think.

For January 2014 however

Passengers

Rosslare - 12,960 - 112 trips - avg 116 per trip

Dublin - 44,077 - 246 trips - avg 179 per trip

Cars

Rosslare - 3,802 - 112 trips - avg 34

Dublin - 11,716 - 246 trips - avg 48

Freight

Rosslare - 2,784 - 112 - avg 25

Dublin - 16,123 - 246 - avg 66

and as a comparison with the North Channel Superfast operation for Jan

Pass 53,985 - trips 348 - Avg - 155

Cars 13,295 - trips 348 - Avg - 38

Freight 16,166 - trips 348 - Avg - 46

While the average figure is not 100% as it excludes peak operations the obvious area in need of work is freight for the Rosslare service and as the only port with a direct rail connection it should be able to get a greater % of passengers.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1308 on: February 23, 2014, 09:22:42 pm
Some more images of the Stena RoRo owned Dieppe Seaways undergoing refit in Gdansk.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1980822

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1979147

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1309 on: February 23, 2014, 10:33:16 pm
Some more images of the Stena RoRo owned Dieppe Seaways undergoing refit in Gdansk.

Thanks giftgrub.  Perhaps her last as a Dover-Calais ship by the sounds of things!

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1310 on: February 25, 2014, 09:26:53 pm
The Dieppe Seaways has received a full hull repaint in Gdansk.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1982686

Came across this interesting little tribute to the Stena Nordica's time on the Rosslare - Fishguard service in 2008, according to rumours it won't be long before if becomes a permanent fixture in Rosslare.

http://stenanordica.rosslare-europort.com/

Also great image of the Europe and Nordica together on this link, very well taken by Ronnie Roberts.

http://www.sealink-holyhead.net/#!stena-nordica/cddf

http://www.sealink-holyhead.net/#!Stena-Europe-Stena-Nordica/zoom/cb3g/image21xp

Some brilliant images of the Stena Lagans MES system being tested on Scott Mackeys excellent Flickr Site,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/sets/72157625811741177/

and plenty of images of the Stena Nordica here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/sets/72157623457104848/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:38:09 pm by giftgrub »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1311 on: February 26, 2014, 04:14:28 am
Didnt aee this on here yet
Stena Europe delayed by storm
25 FEBRUARY 2014
THE Stena Europe cruise ferry operating between Fishguard and Rosslare was delayed by around three hours as yet another storm lashed the Wexford coast on Sunday.

However, port captain Aedan Jameson said Sunday's weather was nothing like the fierce gales experienced the previous week, which forced the harbour to close.

'It was just normal bad weather,' he said.

He said the stronng winds on Sunday meant the Stena Europe had trouble berthing at the Europort on Sunday morning which had a knock on effect on later services.

The Irish Ferries' ship, the more powerful Isle of Innishmore, was not as badly affected.

'They both made up time and were back on schedule this morning (Monday),' said Captain Jameson.

He said another 'blow' was expected later on Monday night.

'It will be a short, sharp one and could last between 12 and 15 hours.' he said
http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexfordpeople/news/ferry-was-delayed-by-storm-30039821.html
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:16:18 am by Steven »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1312 on: February 26, 2014, 01:34:02 pm

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1313 on: February 26, 2014, 06:25:49 pm

I would have pulled the plug on Fishguard-Rosslare a long time ago and moved south.  I am sure there is a market for a Bristol to Cork service, both are large population centres with good road and rail infrastructure.  I was looking at the Port of Bristol's website recently and there is more than adequate space to build a ferry terminal on the Avon, and the Severn Bridge is close enough to pull the traffic in from South Wales.  Cork has just been awarded the EU grant to rebuild the port, so why waste time with Fishguard, where there is never going to be the kind of road upgrade they need to bring in the freight needed to keep it going? Reading the Stena Line book, it was amazing how Pim de Lange (Hook of Holland supremo) had to persuade the main Stena board to open the Killingholme route.  They all thought that it would rob customers from Harwich, but he proved that there was a market in place in the North of England for a new service. Fourteen years on they are on the third generation of new ships.  I'm sure the same would apply around Bristol and the south-west. 

As for acquiring Celtic Link, there is already a market there which is why they have bought it and it's good to see Stena with a foothold back in France. The existence of the service to Fishguard was, I'm sure, entirely coincidental to the acquisiton.

Great news about the Dieppe Seaways at Holyhead too; I have had a gut feeling since the demise of SeaFrance that Stena would acquire it sooner or later, it's too good a proposition to ignore.

Having been out of the country for a week, it's great to come back and read some good news.

Matt

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1314 on: February 26, 2014, 10:36:32 pm
As posted in the Celtic Link takeover thread,  I have heard Superfast X/Dieppe Seaways is confirmed internally in Stena for Dublin - Holyhead in lieu of both Nordica and Explorer.  Stena will pull out of Dun Laoghaire altogether and Europe will move on (not confirmed as such but hard to see anything else happening now!).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:40:36 pm by Steven »

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1315 on: February 26, 2014, 11:00:20 pm
Any word on when she'd move, especially given that DFDS have given  her a repaint and look set to operate her until about October.

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1316 on: February 26, 2014, 11:27:42 pm
Any word on when she'd move, especially given that DFDS have given  her a repaint and look set to operate her until about October.
She would need to be refurbished obviously so will probably be 2015 given the time taken for the other pair to be converted at Remontowa.  Someone on facebook said Stena's engineers have had a look over her while she is in drydock ATM but cannot verify this myself.  However if she is to be converted like VII/VIII she's in the right yard at the moment so they could do a lot of the planning work now.  The repaint would have been booked months ago so not an indicator of anything long term as some seem to think it may be.  Are double deck trailers allowed in Ireland btw?  A lot of the complexity around VII/VIII's conversion was releasing enough free height on the upper vehicle deck to allow these to be carried, though regardless I think they would probably do this anyway in order to make her as flexible as possible.

Its good to see a company investing in services rather than cutting though!

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1317 on: February 27, 2014, 01:08:26 am
i think rosslare has plenty of potential for both cargo and passenger routes but this would require certain investment and most importantly the people in control of the harbour now would need to be sacked, theyve sabotaged the place for long enough

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1318 on: February 27, 2014, 08:16:40 pm
Interesting images of the newest addition to the Stena RoRo fleet and one of the oldest member of the Stena Fleet in Gdansk today. Obviously the Dieppe Seaways and Stena Vision.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1984869

Re: Stena Line fleet movements Reply #1319 on: February 27, 2014, 08:17:31 pm