Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

Your guide to Ireland's ferry services

News:Welcome to the Irish Ferries Enthusiasts forum.

Irish Ferries Fleet movements

(Read 468956 times)

IFPete

Thats another reason to keep Oscar Wilde.

alfie79

for a while longer anyway
if she was sold you would imagine her new owners would be eager to have her for the summer and the elipson would be on ross-pembroke run

IFPete

I see Epsilon leaving the fleet in early November if Oscor Wilde is retained,

alfie79

ya think they be some form of a announcement

alfie79

just seen new youtube clip irish ferries have out for 2019 of the fleet no sign of the oscar wilde on it, so guess that its for her so

IFPete

WB Yeats Press day,

alfie79

WB Yeats Press day,

They have a clip up showing their fleet for 2019, WB Yeats, Ulysses , Dublin Swift, Epsilon and Isle Of Inishmore
which to me means that the OW will be sold or tied up somewhere

Steven

That's huge if.  She's been reported as sold in the French press, hence the charter to La Méridionale falling through - a sale would always have been favourable to a charter.  There's no reason to keep Oscar over Epsilon from a commercial point of view, to be honest.  It's clear from how Yeats has been fitted out that ICG has moved away from the expensive to run "cruise ferry" style concept towards a more balance sheet friendly Ro-Pax experience.  I wouldn't be surprised if her next dry docking is her last with an announcement to shareholders in the next update.  Its all rather neat from a timing point of view.  If Epsilon is going anywhere it will be after the next new build eventually arrives - they need her freight capacity in reserve until then and given how little disruption cancelling sailings to France caused when ICG where having their fleet availability nightmare, the trade obviously hasn't built up there yet any way to need Yeats year round.

Irish Ferries are also replying to queries on Facebook stating there will be NO Rosslare to France service this year.  Why would they be doing that if there was any chance of the service happening?  As for Roscoff, as already mentioned on here somewhere ICG has terminated the port agreement.  That's how the story about Roscoff being axed broke after all!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steven

Results

As expected not a good year.  Nothing on Oscar but they have reiterated that Epsilon is staying until Nov 2020.  Still trying to suggest the Rosslare withdrawal is the NTA’s fault, despite the fact that they cut back the route long before there was any issue with Yeats never mind cancelled bookings!

https://otp.investis.com/clients/uk/icg2/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=500&newsid=1238292
Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:30:05 AM by Steven
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

"The Group is exploring other opportunities for deployment of the Oscar Wilde".

"The Epsilon remains on charter with the Group until November 2020 with a further option period of one year. This vessel alternates seasonally on routes between Dublin/ Holyhead and Dublin/ France. It is intended to return this vessel to owners on delivery of the second new vessel."

ferryfan

The Group is exploring other opportunities for deployment of the Oscar Wilde

She could be made available for external charter and given the shortage of such tonnage which they say existed last summer she should be snapped up.
Legal Challenge to the National Transport Authority interpretation of the EU Regulation no 1177/2010

While I firmly believe that IF have nothing but contempt for passengers, I have read their argument and the NTA's decision and think that IF have a good argument which could be successful in a court. However I think that using the NTA's ruling to justify the cessation of services from Rosslare is strange given that they appeared to have cancelled the service before the decision was at least made public.

The report suggests that the Swift will be around for some time as they will seek continue to grow the passenger figures that the Swift's more convenient sailing times offer to passengers.

alfie79

Results

As expected not a good year.  Nothing on Oscar but they have reiterated that Epsilon is staying until Nov 2020.  Still trying to suggest the Rosslare withdrawal is the NTA’s fault, despite the fact that they cut back the route long before there was any issue with Yeats never mind cancelled bookings!

https://otp.investis.com/clients/uk/icg2/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=500&newsid=1238292

Yes i agree very cheap and cheeky effort from IF "While the Group had planned continuing an additional summer only service out of Rosslare with the Oscar Wilde, this plan unfortunately had to be cancelled following the National Transport Authority’s interpretation of the EU Regulation covering Sea Passengers discussed below, which is especially penalising for operations out of peripheral ports like Rosslare"

alfie79

"The Group is exploring other opportunities for deployment of the Oscar Wilde".

"The Epsilon remains on charter with the Group until November 2020 with a further option period of one year. This vessel alternates seasonally on routes between Dublin/ Holyhead and Dublin/ France. It is intended to return this vessel to owners on delivery of the second new vessel."

your very upbeat on IF hanging on the OW i wish they would but i fear the bell is ringing for her and she will ploughing a different sea come summer

IFPete

As things stand they did not do badly with Euro 60 Milliom in profit. A lot companies would love to be in their situation.

It seams however strange to kill the cash cow that summer traffic on Oscar Wilde would generate.

The court case could be over in May in any case and people tend to book closer to the time nowadays.   
Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:31:50 PM by IFPete

LongTimeReader

Legal Challenge to the National Transport Authority interpretation of the EU Regulation no 1177/2010

While I firmly believe that IF have nothing but contempt for passengers, I have read their argument and the NTA's decision and think that IF have a good argument which could be successful in a court.

It isnt a good argument. It just sounds convincing. The NTA are seeking payment of compensation to passengers who could not travel from, or to, the port of their original booking. EU law for sea or air passenger transport looks at this the same way.

Regardless of when the cancellation occurred you're still entitled to the price of switching terminals. For example, if your flight to Edinburgh is cancelled and the airline offers you a ticket to Glasgow, they also must pay for you to get to Edinburgh. Doesnt matter if your flight is cancelled two years in advance or two days.

THIS IS A TEST CASE.

It would mean anytime a technical problem arises and some traffic was diverted to Rosslare or Dublin instead of loading them onto the Stena ferry, compenstation will be due. Think of all the Ulysses cancellations this year alone.