Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

Your guide to Ireland's ferry services

News:New Forums - if you experience any problems, please e-mail [email protected]

Cork to Santandar to continue in 2019

(Read 1725 times)

ccs

Was in Brittany Ferries Cork office earlier and was told that the Cork to Santandar service will resume next April.  Online booking will open tomorrow. 
Also the Monday night sailing to Roscoff will resume in April.
Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:27:36 PM by ccs

giftgrub

What are they doing with Connemara for winter ?, was this not supposed to be year round service ? Or have I got this wrong, two year charter to build service etc.

wildmind

The continuation of this Spain route through the winter as well as the continuation of the expanded Roscoff service in 2019 is a big vote of confidence in direct Ireland-continent links.

I still don't understand why one of the weekly trips to Santander involves 2 nights on board; longer than usual crossing for what reason?

But congrats to Port of Cork and to Brittany Ferries

ccs

What are they doing with Connemara for winter ?, was this not supposed to be year round service ? Or have I got this wrong, two year charter to build service etc.

The service is continuing year round. Available to book now. Roscoff Monday ex Cork service recommencing on Monday 4th March   

The continuation of this Spain route through the winter as well as the continuation of the expanded Roscoff service in 2019 is a big vote of confidence in direct Ireland-continent links.

I still don't understand why one of the weekly trips to Santander involves 2 nights on board; longer than usual crossing for what reason?

It's do with arriving in Spain at a civilised hour rather than in the middle of the night.

giftgrub

The service is continuing year round. Available to book now. Roscoff Monday ex Cork service recommencing on Monday 4th March   

It's do with arriving in Spain at a civilised hour rather than in the middle of the night.

Thanks, thought they were going to cancel services for the Winter, good news that everything is as is, people can book in advance and plan holidays for 2019 with the service.

Cladyman

Great to see this.

Also seasonable move to start Rosciff in March as well as Brexit planning will lead to more wanting the direct route option even if it turns out no need.

It highlights importance of the freight element on this route,they must be starting to get some longer term contracts that benefit from year round service.

Froeght must not have been able to keep Roscoff going, highlights tbat route is tourist critical.

IFPete

Cork - Santander is running throughout the winter

Cork - Roscolf finishes 03 November out of Cork and returns next March

If the Santander route attacts loads dont be surprised if Irish Ferries send Oscar or Epsilon to Bilbao in 2020.

Steven

Cork - Santander is running throughout the winter

Cork - Roscolf finishes 03 November out of Cork and returns next March

If the Santander route attacts loads dont be surprised if Irish Ferries send Oscar or Epsilon to Bilbao in 2020.

Good news though I'm told loads have been poor so far.  Freight in particular will take time to build though so good that they are sticking with it.  There were rumours starting to circulate that they could pull the plug on Santander so this will at least have put those to bed (lack of a timetable will always result in such speculation)
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

awaityourreply

Direct ferry route from Ireland to Spain will sail this winter
The twice-weekly route will operate between Cork and Santander until March, Brittany Ferries says

The service departs Cork on Mondays and Fridays at 23.30pm - a timing based on feedback from hauliers, who favour late arrivals and early starts (it arrives into Santander at 08.00am), Brittany says.

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/direct-ferry-route-from-ireland-to-spain-will-sail-this-winter-37611774.html

wildmind

The managing director of Brittany ferries was interviewed in French daily Le monde last week and said that the first six months of the Ireland Spain service had been disappointing.    He said that the company would not allow money to be lost on the service , but he also made a general remark that if Irish hauliers begin to use the direct route over the the Uk land bridge - then there could be interesting business in Ireland - mainland Europe direct links .