Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

Your guide to Ireland's ferry services

News:New Forums - if you experience any problems, please e-mail [email protected]

2015 Emissions regulations

(Read 14210 times)

Steam Packet

Do Irish Ferries have any plans out yet about what they plan to do?

They don't need any, the Irish Sea is not a SECA.

Oscar Wilde

Will the Irish Sea ever be a SECA?

Steam Packet

Will the Irish Sea ever be a SECA?

I'm not entirely sure to be honest if the IMO intends to make the Irish Sea a SECA. What is certain is, it wont be in the immediate future, especially with the government now debating the delayed introduction of the Emission Control Regs and or financial support for the operators.

The Steam Packet has, however, outlined provisional options should the Irish Sea become a SECA. 

Oscar Wilde

I am just trying to imagaine the Inishmore with one of those big ugly things on her!

bfm003

As I understand it, the Emission regulations should come into force for the Irish Sea in 2020.
However this will be reviewed in 2018 and the availability of low sulphur fuel will be considered. If it's thought there may be supply issues it will be pushed back until 2025.

Collision-course

Makman is correct , currently 2020 is the target for SECA on the Irish Sea , however there is a good chance of it being pushed back.
There may be a case made to exempt North channel operators as routes into Northern Ireland are considered British internal shipping and not international ferry routes.
Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:41:25 PM by Collision-course

Oscar Wilde

But seriously, those big yolks look fairly ungly now.

Would like to see them on ships in Rosslare as they would destroy the view!

Steven

Apart from the routes to France which enter the zone.  IF say on their website they will comply with Marpol so I assume they are going to use the more expensive fuel to France?
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

NI Ferry Site

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

TC

• WHEN IT MATTERS
I expect I.F. will follow P&O's approach of passing on the extra cost to the passenger. I think I.F. are lucky enough on the French route, as if the going gets too tough with the low sulphur fuel, they can always charter or sell Oscar.

At 27 she's no spring chicken, though she has been very well looked after, especially by CL. I'd say Oscar has a good few years ahead of her, but if these will be in Irish waters is debatable.

Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:35:19 PM by TC

Collision-course

Indeed I really dont see Oscar Wilde lasting too long past 2015 , next year will be make or break year for her I'd say , if it can operate viable under the new conditions she may stay for a while , but if it will be hit the way I think it will it will be replaced sooner rather than later. Unlike the ropax's in the fleet Oscar Wilde is not very interchangable and is not cut out for either Rosslare - Pembroke or Dublin - Holyhead due to her low vehicle capacity.
Long term what I think might happen is that we will see a newbuild for Dublin to partner Ulysses , a reconfigured Isle of Innishmore could operate the Rosslare - France services , but this would mean that Isle of Innishfree would have to come back from New Zealand or something new would have to be built for Rosslare - Pembroke (which I really dont see happening)

Oscar Wilde

Irish sea ferries,

Stena Horizon
Epsilon
Oscar Wilde
Cobelfret Ferries

These will have to do something as they enter the zones.

Also all the container ships operating in and out of Rotterdam would need to do something as welland cruise ships into sSouthampton, Dover, etc;

jonno

For completeness, heres Stena's take on it all (with an even clearer but very small map)

http://www.stenalinefreight.com/~/media/Files/Freight/Broschure/Sulphur%20Brochure%202014%20-%20Final%20online%20version.ashx

EDIT: Posted this in the fleet movements thread but probably more appropriate in here:

Basically, they are waiting until the technologies are more developed before throwing a load of cash at it (and perhaps having to upgrade at a later date).  Personally I think the methanol trial is an indication of how things may go in the longer term - like ethanol (bio-ethanaol) methanol can also be produced from waste products.  For example the ethanol added to all maxol E5 (sold as standard unleaded)/E85 fuel in the Republic of Ireland is/was produced from a byproduct of cheese production.  With more commercial incentive to produce bio fuels the production cost is also bound to come down, and unlike other fuels (including LNG) there isn't a finite supply.

Steve they may have to get their skates on... I assume they wont want to incur the financial penalties for Brittanica Hollandia and Horizon. Regarding the latter, I wonder if they may switch destination port to Brest or St Naz...?

Collision-course

Dont forget Brittany Ferries Cork - Roscoff service will be effected by SECA also , however Pont Aven is booked in for a rebuild to LNG powered engines. Also worth considering is that Pont Aven will be displaced from the Cork service when the newbuild comes on stream in late 2016 / early 2017.
Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:45:17 PM by Collision-course

jonno

Yep, Bretagne is covering for her when she leaves for STX, October I think.

jonno

The three which serve France will require scrubbers, Cherbourg and Roscoff are within the SECA zone as will Stena Horizon.