Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

Your guide to Ireland's ferry services

News:New Forums - if you experience any problems, please e-mail [email protected]

1/500 model making

(Read 2899 times)

Steven

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 250
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried modelling in 1/500 scale and if so what materials etc they used.  I know a few on here have dabbled with smaller scales but haven't seen anything about a model this large.  I have had a long term ambition to build a model of one of the sealink saint class (probably Galloway Princess) and think 1/500 would be a nice size - big enough to work on with my shakey hands but small enough not to take up significant space (about 24cm long give or take).  It would be a waterline model initially though I wouldn't rule out going all the way with a later version (don't fancy trying to make a bulbous bow on my first go!).  At present my idea would be to build a frame out of wood (using matchsticks and coffee stirrers) for the hull then use thin balsa to cover it in.  I would probably prefabricate the superstructure in sections using the same frame and cover constuction then glue them together on the hull before painting.  Not sure whether I would try painting logos on with a stencil and spray paint or use waterslides (have had mixed success with these on the past)  I wouldnt be looking for 100% accuracy, just something recognisable as what it is.  Any thoughts or comments???

If successful next on the list would be Fiesta and Fantasia!

EDIT: 2500 matchsticks (and a safety cutter), 1000 coffee stirrers, and some sheets of 0.8mm balsa ordered from eBay!  Estimate the finished model will be approx 26cm long and 4.5cm wide.  Should be enough to do a few models.  Now I just need to draw some plans, time to put all that maths I've been doing at uni to use!
Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:09:41 AM by Steven
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steven

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 250
So the first 2000 matchsticks arrived today so I have been doing a bit of work on the plans.  Luckily I was able to clean up a copy of the GA plan found on the web enough to be able to print it out actual size which will speed things up massively.  Originally I had planned to put the bulkheads in the original positions but this is going to be massive overkill.  I have attached a pic taken with my phone of the basic layout of the internal frame I intend to build for the first deck.  The different colours are different length matchsticks (to aid me in my plan to build the ship in modules).  Each deck will have a slightly different bow frame due to the change in shape, and whereas the rest of the frame will remain more or less the same the front of the bow will taper so it doesn't come out square when it is planked!  Unlike the real thing the vehicle decks will not be built curved upwards at either end/dip in the middle as this won't be seen anyway and will massively complicate the build!  Any feedback or suggestions would be very welcome!

Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steven

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 250
Quick update.  Very much learning as I go so soon starting the third prototype which will be complete with sloping car decks!  Considering using plasticard for the outer "skin" to get a smoother finish.  Each individual deck has been cut out of balsa, and has suitably sized bulkheads made of coffee stirrers trimmed to size and glued and stacked together which the next deck is placed on.  I will then plate around the outside of this structure to form the shape of the model.  The main sticking point is the lifeboats at the moment.  Im considering using Milliput but they are so small I'm not sure I could make them the correct shape.  Another alternative with be casting them in resin but it seems a lot of expense and complication for 4 small life boats.  Any suggestions?
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steven

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 250
Can you tell what it is yet :D
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hj8nazicsomxzjf/IMG_20140401_200807.jpg

This is the third (and final) hull prototype.  Needs a few bits tidied up and dome detailing added, but will start on the superstructure first.

Does anyone know a good paint match for the Sealink British ferries livery?  Think I have found decent matches in Tamiya acrylics but want to check if anyone knows better.  The white will be courtesy of some auto spray I have!  Still in 2 minds whether to print the logos on adhesive photo paper rather than painting tho

I have decided to do all 4 sisters now, each in a different livery.  After that it'll either be Fantasia/Fiesta or a Visentini!
Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:58:49 PM by Steven
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

larry

  • Global Moderator
  • Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 500
I got an idea but I'm in the know so I wont spoil it mate

Steven

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 250
Progress temporarily halted but the hull is now complete apart from final details to be added ideally when the superstructure is in place and only requires paint, a couple light basecoats have been applied and sanded back already to check everything is even and smooth.  I want to try a few things before proceeding as recently discovered Milliput and DAS clay for example!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline