Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

Your guide to Ireland's ferry services

News:New Forums - if you experience any problems, please e-mail [email protected]

New boards

(Read 10393 times)

Kieran

• Administrator
After much coffee, editing, coffee, messing with scripts, coffee, calling YABB names, and more coffee (I had a lot of coffee), I've managed to move us to SMF.

A few things:
  • Any issues with passwords or peoples accounts, please e-mail [email protected], and I'll get back to you straight away.
  • This is a temporary template, something shiny and green (with ads) will be added over the next day or two, along with plug ins to make everything run faster
  • I need more coffee...

This is a massive step forward for us, the software is somewhere near modern, and will allow me to make tweeks to improve the sites performance. There are also some really useful features, like the option to report a post or user.

It's also written in php, with a MySQL back end, if something goes wrong, it will be far easier for me to fix.
Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:36:37 AM by Kieran

FerryMan

User might want to review there profile settings, as email addresses are not hidden as standard & can be viewed by other members of the forum.
Ferry Master

Kieran

• Administrator
Also, people that can't log in, YABB had Usernames and Display Names (which had to be different), SMF looks like it only ported the User Names, some people having trouble logging in, looks like SMF only ported the username, if your getting "user does not exist" error, mail me and I'll find it in the database end.

Also, I think I can change the username/display name, but need a guinea pig ;)

maehara

Got caught out by the display name / username change, but all sorted now.  :)

One behaviour change that might take some getting used to: submitting a new post takes me back to the forum index, and not to the thread.  Any chance that could be changed 'back'?

Kieran

• Administrator
Hmm, I'll have a look at that later when I get home from work, should just be a redirect I need to change...

Kieran

• Administrator
Changes made this evening:
  • New Template
  • Ads added back to site
  • Installed Clouldfare and anti-spam plug ins.
  • Users return to thread, not board when posting a reply (edit, maybe not!)
Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:44:49 PM by Kieran

maehara

If it doesn't allow it to be set as a global thing, I've found a user profile setting that can be used to return to the topic rather than the index after posting:
Under Profile -> Modify Profile -> Look and Layout -> Return to tpoics after posting by default.

Has done the trick for me, anyway..!
Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:38:28 AM by maehara

HSS

If it doesn't allow it to be set as a global thing, I've found a user profile setting that can be used to return to the topic rather than the index after posting:
Under Profile -> Modify Profile -> Look and Layout -> Return to tpoics after posting by default.

Has done the trick for me, anyway..!

And me  :)

Steven

FWIW I like the blue.  Its has a slight Oscar Wilde look to it ;)

Good job on the migration Kieran!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Webmaster of www.niferry.co.uk
Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

HSS

Yes, well done :)