Strangely Familar

Started by Collision-course, March 11, 2009, 12:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collision-course

The Munster pic suggested it was taken in Cork , the embankment behind her does look like the turn in the river between the rowing clubs , however this is past Tivoli and would be heading for the city quays , below are some more shots of the 1948 Innisfallen before and after rebuild , which I now think was done in 1985.
First shot below is before rebuild the rest are after , and I'm looking at information that suggests that the ship was not broken up and is still around Saudi Arabia somewhere.

Collision-course

Another familar vessel , anyone want to have a guess? :-X

Collision-course

The picture above is the Oscar Wilde in its Color Line days for anyone who did'nt guess , now below is another picture from www.shipspotting.com and is another ship with a long Cork history , any guesses?

Kieran

Brittany Ferries M/S Quiberon, first ship I traveled on! :D

Collision-course

Well spotted , here she is in her Brittany Ferries days , also from www.shipspotting.com

Collision-course

Now here's a right gem , guesses anyone?

Drama_king

It's gotta be the Val De Loire, surely?  Please someone tell me, that "thing" they call the Stena Nautica is not in the running to replace the Europe?! Have Stena lost it or something? ::)

Kieran

No, tis what became the Julia and will (hopefully!) become the Innisfallen...  ;D

Drama_king

Oh I see, it's just from that angle it looked like it was the Loire.  :) I think I just paid it a compliment though hehe.

Collision-course

I have come across a few more strangley fimilar ships on www.shipspotting.com.
This first one is a tough one , anyone want to have a crack at the former identity of this former Irish ship?

Collision-course

And to add to the confusion , this would have been its running mate at the time , this picture from www.faktaomfartyg.se

Collision-course

Here is another ship from www.shipspotting.com that would have been a regular in Cork at one time.

Collision-course

I could'nt resist this gem from www.faktaomfartyg.se , your eyes are not playing tricks , this is the Val De Loire as it was aquired from TT line , which as you can see from the livery is the parent company of Olau Line , at this time Val De Loire (formerly Nils Holgersson) would have been a running mate of the then Olau Britannia (currently Fastnet Line's Julia) and as can also be seen from the hull geometry they are also half sisters.

Collision-course

And here's another sister ship making no effort to hide its identity from www.shipspotting.com

Collision-course

This Stena Line ship has two Irish connections , any guesses , bonus points if you can identify its link to Cork , this ship has a very strong link to Cork despite never having operated from there.