Strangely Familar

Started by Collision-course, March 11, 2009, 12:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry

whats she up to these days?

Collision-course

Last I heard she is still laid up.

giftgrub

Well spotted, the Stena Baltica is laid up in Lysekil, Sweden and available for charter from Stena Ro Ro.

http://www.stenaroro.com/offering/Pages/Stena-Baltica.aspx

larry

why does nobody want the baltica? it's such an awesome ship, is she bad on fuel or something?

Kieran

Quotewhy does nobody want the baltica? it's such an awesome ship, is she bad on fuel or something?

She's not that bad, 75tons a day at 20kts (or there abouts).

I would have though she would make her way back to Irish shores soon...

Matt73

Oh I hope not. If you're thinking of Fishguard, it's about time they had something a lot newer.  The Seafrance Moliere or Stena Jutlandica would be ideal.  Why does Fishguard get the twenty-five year old second-hand tonnage?

Stena Baltica is an overnight ship really and I have never fully reconciled myself to the butchery done to her original interior by Stena over the years, not to mention the hideous damage to the superstructure by 2005 refit to make her doubledeck loading.  For me she will always be the Koningin Beatrix I first saw in May 1986 with those wonderful crowns on her funnel casing.  She was never the sleekest looking ship, but the original livery showed her off to her best advantage. 

Matt

Collision-course

From what I hear , former Seafrance Moliere is likely to be sold to DFDS/LD Lines for Dover - Calais , Stena Europe will remain on Rosslare - Fishguard for the forseeable future , Stena Baltica is likely to take up service on one of the Scandlines services in the Baltic to replace leased tonnage pending the deal being cleared by the Competition Authority.

Matt73

Thanks.  Good news re the Baltica.  Pity about the Moliere.

M

Dave

The Masarrah (St.Columba) is back on AIS, operating Jeddah - Sawakin. Seems a regular service

giftgrub

from google maps, which former Irish Sea vessel is this

giftgrub

Also from Google Maps, another former Irish Sea Vessel

Collision-course

And both Rosslare - Fishguard ships at that , top one is Stena Baltica , and the funnel on the Stena Felicity is unmistakable.

Collision-course