Dun Laoghaire Not out of the game yet?

Started by ferryfan, March 05, 2015, 12:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on May 15, 2016, 06:09:15 PM
The current set up in Dun Laoire would need a bigger pontoon for the swift,

The pontoon in Holyhead is bigger.

Swift could in fact use a low quayside plinth because Swift has its own ramps unlike the Lynx.
REALLY?  What else would you call those big metal things at the stern of the lynx that they lowered onto the pontoon then?  ::)

Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

DublinPeter

Quote from: IFPete on May 15, 2016, 06:09:15 PM
The current set up in Dun Laoire would need a bigger pontoon for the swift,

The pontoon in Holyhead is bigger.

Swift could in fact use a low quayside plinth because Swift has its own ramps unlike the Lynx.

True indeed IFPete, the small pontoon suited the Lynx with one rear ramp open OK but wouldn't be big enough for either Swifts rear ramp or her bow ramp (which is the one she has but the Lynx doesn't). For any potential centre-door loading fastcraft, the new pontoon will need to be wider and indeed have a bit of a turn "out" to get vehicles down the ramp and across to the centre entrance  of the vessel. There are engineers drawings etc for it in DL as and when it might be required! For now though, it's all about dismantling.  Big job to get the HSS stuff taken away, crane has been very busy the last 2 days unloading the barge of all it's cutting gear.

Pete

IFPete

The two conventional ramps in Dun Laoire are about a third the size of the ramps at Dublin Port,

There is no way swift could use any of these ramps or the current pontoon as described above,

The Lynx installed ramps were more like trays than ramps and were a lot smaller than the express ramp Steven is thinking about.

Regarding the terminal bridge its about 5 metre high, There was never any problem for HGV going under it when St Columba was in operation.

Fast Ferry Fan

Steven

Quote from: Fast Ferry Fan on January 09, 2017, 12:29:55 AM
Quote from: ferryfan on March 05, 2015, 12:22:54 PM
Seven Ferry Operators Express Interest to Run Seasonal Dun Laoghaire Service!
Jehan Ashmore on Afloat.ie
http://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/28010-seven-ferry-operators-express-interest-to-run-seasonal-dun-laoghaire-service

2 years on and they've narrowed down to 4 potential operators according to Saturday's Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/report-raises-issues-about-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-harbour-ownership-1.2928235

Even I gave up hoping for a revival 12 months ago!

Every day that passes it becomes a little less likely we will ever see a ferry service from Dun Laoghaire again.  Surely its been too long?  In any case, there is an assumption here that there may be 4 credible business plans here (after all this time they have only rounded it down to 4?) - assuming we can rule out Stena, who has the resources to not only acquire a suitable craft and operate it but also take on the current operations?  That the harbour company seem set on a central corridor fast-craft service limits things further still - perhaps they could entice the IOMSPCo at the right rates for example?  As for the once rumoured fast-craft to France, who in their right mind is going to run an InCat or Austal Autoexpress to France?  Those things don't do rough seas!

PaddyL

Stuff of dreamers - they have zero future as a ferry port.

DublinPeter

Time will tell chaps!

They have a bizzare way of conducting themselves but I reckon they will get there in the end.

Ruling anybody or anything out would be foolish.  Even Stena ;)

Pete

PaddyL

Quote from: DublinPeter on January 12, 2017, 10:23:24 PM
Time will tell chaps!

They have a bizzare way of conducting themselves but I reckon they will get there in the end.

Ruling anybody or anything out would be foolish.  Even Stena ;)

Pete

What do you think would be viable?

VSFXX

Could Dun Laoghaire re-open whilst Dublin Port is redeveloped?

Steven

Quote from: VSFXX on January 14, 2017, 08:53:38 PM
Could Dun Laoghaire re-open whilst Dublin Port is redeveloped?
Using what vessel.  Unfortunately Dun Laoghaire is severely restricted with regards to the size of the vessel it can accommodate at present.  Swift could work, but thats about it of the current Dublin vessels.  In any case, if freight was to return to the port surely the residents of the town would be  less than happy given how vocal they have been in the past.

Im afraid I'm inclined to agree with Paddy here.  its hard to see what anyone could viably operate and where to!

DublinPeter

Crumbs from the Dublin Port table isn't a million miles short of the mark whether that is Cruise and/or Passenger/Fastcraft traffic.  Thankfully for them, there is not likely to be a shortage of those crumbs going forward and (business arrangements permitting), that is where the Commercial future lies for DL.  Steven is right in that as a port, Dun Laoghaire is quite restricted but it is ideal for certain services but it is perfectly suited for particular types of overflow.

As has been the case for quite a while now, the issue is not with operators (I can vouch for at least 2 as being credible), it is with the political machinations around the Harbours Bill 2015 and who will control the operation of the Harbour.  That's likely to take much of 2017 to resolve which is a great pity because minds have eventually come around to the glaringly obvious (commercially speaking!).  They really struggle to help themselves sometimes and it can make painful watching.

Pete

PaddyL

Quote from: DublinPeter on January 15, 2017, 07:36:34 PM
Crumbs from the Dublin Port table isn't a million miles short of the mark whether that is Cruise and/or Passenger/Fastcraft traffic.  Thankfully for them, there is not likely to be a shortage of those crumbs going forward and (business arrangements permitting), that is where the Commercial future lies for DL.  Steven is right in that as a port, Dun Laoghaire is quite restricted but it is ideal for certain services but it is perfectly suited for particular types of overflow.

As has been the case for quite a while now, the issue is not with operators (I can vouch for at least 2 as being credible), it is with the political machinations around the Harbours Bill 2015 and who will control the operation of the Harbour.  That's likely to take much of 2017 to resolve which is a great pity because minds have eventually come around to the glaringly obvious (commercially speaking!).  They really struggle to help themselves sometimes and it can make painful watching.

Pete

But what sort of service would be viable?  I am struggling to see what would be.

Steven

Quote from: PaddyL on January 16, 2017, 01:31:41 PM

Pete

But what sort of service would be viable?  I am struggling to see what would be.
I just hope my April Fools service to the moon isn't one of the candidates :p.

NathanBrady

Quote from: Steven on January 16, 2017, 10:45:10 PM
Quote from: PaddyL on January 16, 2017, 01:31:41 PM

Pete

I just hope my April Fools service to the moon isn't one of the candidates :p.
Might be de best hope!

HSS

Looks like Dun Laoghaire might be the new home of the Dublin Port Rally this year?