Stena Superfast X (image heavy)

Started by Steven, February 02, 2015, 11:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFPete

nice picture.

I see the nordic Spa is still installed just like her northern sisters.

Ajmadden123

Quote from: IFPete on February 20, 2015, 03:10:37 PM
nice picture.

I see the nordic Spa is still installed just like her northern sisters.

She's practically identical to her sisters, if not more original to the design she was built in as her sisters in 2001.
Superfast x is more original, in the way that she still has about a quarter of her cabins on deck 8. Seafrance didn't have time to finish the conversion due to the ship being needed in service.
Another originality, which only the x and ix has, are the two former aircraft seat areas aft of deck 8, which are just open deck on the vii and viii.

giftgrub

there are going to be a total of 39 cabins on deck 8 and six luxury cabins on deck 10 which will be available, decks 7 & 8 have been totally rebuilt while in Gdynia with all previous Seafrance work removed and replaced, this is going to be a major upgrade on the Nordica experience and indeed a different experience from the Superfast VII and VIII. Won't be long till it leaves Poland now

HSS

Quote from: ferryfan on February 20, 2015, 12:18:09 PM
Apparently greatness awaits?

Greatness awaits indeed, would much rather the Stena Explorer any day.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on February 20, 2015, 10:44:09 PM
indeed a different experience from the Superfast VII and VIII. Won't be long till it leaves Poland now
Yup, no taste restaurant for a start and a very different floor plan.  I wouldn't be planing any spa cruises yet guys btw ;).  At least deck 10 is being made re-accessible!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Stena explorer

From stenaline website. (Momentous Occasion   Greatness Awaits ,A great change is coming. The Irish Sea as we know it will never be the same again).wow I don't know what to expect now, either someone in stena advertising has got a bit carried away with themselves ,or they are slashing fares by 50%(which would be a momentous occasion.  If this is only about the arrival of a 14 year old refurbished ship on the route ,then I will be disappointed.

Steven

Quote from: Stena explorer on February 21, 2015, 08:47:46 AM
From stenaline website. (Momentous Occasion   Greatness Awaits ,A great change is coming. The Irish Sea as we know it will never be the same again).wow I don't know what to expect now, either someone in stena advertising has got a bit carried away with themselves ,or they are slashing fares by 50%(which would be a momentous occasion.  If this is only about the arrival of a 14 year old refurbished ship on the route ,then I will be disappointed.
She's 13 next week if you go by delivery date.  Somewhat better than the arrival of a utilitarian chartered ropax which is billed as a budget option on one route and a full price offering in the other IMO...  At least she's being 'designed' with the route she is serving in mind!  Won't be long now until we see if she lives up to her billing!!!  Given she's been pretty much gutted inside and rebuilt does it really matter when the hull was launched?  There's a good 20 years life left in her anyway!  Someone at Stena marketing seems to be enjoying themselves anyway :p.

Ajmadden123

I'm quite curious to see if she'll be as stylish as her sisters, or maybe more modern than the other 2. They seem to be making everybody curious on Facebook and their website, so we'll see what the big surprise is.

Fast Ferry Fan

;D

I'm definitely no longer part of their target market.  My first reaction on seeing their new slogan was, "No it doesn't".  It was always rather easier to agree with "The best is back".

I'm sure those who use the Nordica regularly anyway will be happy with the change but the proof will be in the change in passenger numbers of both the main ferry companies and airlines.

ferryfan

Superfast X AIS showing Destination Holyhead. Must be making a stop for berthing trials before taking up her new schedule starting in Dublin on 9th March. Plenty of negative comments on their facebook page seems not too many people are excited about the arrival of a 5th hand ferry.

giftgrub

Would not pay to much interest in Facebook comments as on average, a lot of the comments are beyond strange in context and meaning.

How can the introduction of a luxury passenger ferry replacing a smaller vessel be negative, if the HSS was so popular why was it running over half empty on most crossings last year, Stena have got to promote this massive investment and it has got to work, it is no longer an inferior product to the Adventurer and they need both ferries sailing at max passenger capacity. I think the finish and fit out to the Superfast X will be a big update for the route and only once people get a chance to sail on the ferry will its success be gauged.

The fact that the Superfast X has been through a few owners is irrelevant as the vessel is 12/13 years old, has just been rebuilt for the route and has a good 20+ years of full working life left, yes it's sad that the HSS is gone, but that was hardly a surprise and I think the introduction of the Superfast X is very positive, they could have put a glorified freighter on the route but took the decision to make a major investment in a proper passenger vessel, offering an upgraded passenger experience.

steven_shaw

Quote from: giftgrub on February 22, 2015, 01:21:07 PM
Would not pay to much interest in Facebook comments as on average, a lot of the comments are beyond strange in context and meaning.

How can the introduction of a luxury passenger ferry replacing a smaller vessel be negative, if the HSS was so popular why was it running over half empty on most crossings last year, Stena have got to promote this massive investment and it has got to work, it is no longer an inferior product to the Adventurer and they need both ferries sailing at max passenger capacity. I think the finish and fit out to the Superfast X will be a big update for the route and only once people get a chance to sail on the ferry will its success be gauged.

The fact that the Superfast X has been through a few owners is irrelevant as the vessel is 12/13 years old, has just been rebuilt for the route and has a good 20+ years of full working life left, yes it's sad that the HSS is gone, but that was hardly a surprise and I think the introduction of the Superfast X is very positive, they could have put a glorified freighter on the route but took the decision to make a major investment in a proper passenger vessel, offering an upgraded passenger experience.

Oh dear I just have to comment on this

1st the having travrlled on the fantastic HSS on the Stranraer Belfast route and then s couple of times on the slow 'superfast' ferries

I felt stena had gone back 30 years in the Super fast (what a stupid name for a slow boat)

Now again the same is happening on the southern route

The 21st century HSS is off and 20th century slow boat on

Oh and I think you need to get real as those people on Facebook are probably mostly customers yes people that travel on the route and certainly won't be happy being ridiculed by a no all giftgrub

Steven

Quote from: Fast Ferry Fan on February 22, 2015, 08:29:00 AM

;D

I'm definitely no longer part of their target market.  My first reaction on seeing their new slogan was, "No it doesn't".  It was always rather easier to agree with "The best is back".

I'm sure those who use the Nordica regularly anyway will be happy with the change but the proof will be in the change in passenger numbers of both the main ferry companies and airlines.

Looking at the numbers the HSS has been carrying, the number of people actually put out by the ending of the HSS service is a very small proportion of Stenas totals - and that's not even accounting for those who where doing the non-landers or travelling more than once.  The HSS has left Belfast a few years now - apart from enthusiasts nobody seems that bothered.  The craft wasn't making money and was going to cost a significant 7 figure sum just to keep going - money stena would never see back. 

Back to Stena Superfast X - she is currently making about 22kts en route to the Irish sea.

giftgrub

No Ridiculing anyone, just basing reactions from Facebook comments is not a system I personally place too much faith in.

All academic now, it's on the way to Ireland leaving Gydnia and change is happening regardless of what we think, the paying public will decide if it's a success or not, I think it's an improvement to have two very nice vessels sailing all year round and the investment is a vote of confidence in the Holyhead service.

Unfortunately the HSS project has ended I was also a big fan of these magnificent futuristic ferries, but they just did not pay their way and like Concorde they have been pulled from service.