Stena Superfast X (image heavy)

Started by Steven, February 02, 2015, 11:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Regarding the facebook comments, it is a fact that the people who have a negative opinion/complain are always more vocal than those who have a positive experience or attitude.  As with any change in a business, this is a gamble, but the writing has been on he wall for years.  I agree that Stena should be applauded in investing in a proper passenger vessel rather than a glorified freighter - she's certainly more geared towards te route than something like Epsilon!  As for her age, that's totally irrelevant if the rebuild and maintenance has been done right.  I believe a significant sum was spent on getting her technical condition to Stena standards.  Time will tell, but given te HSS service was not that fast anyways and only seasonal (and a single daily round trip), I dibt think Stena will be loosing too much sleep over the facebook comments!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Stena explorer

Superfast X will deffo be a big upgrade on the Nordica , but she ain't no Ulysses who without a doubt is the king  on the Irish Sea ,  a absolute legend of a ship .there is no doubt about it . Also interesting to see Irish ferries advertising that now they are the only fast ferry on the route now. But I must say the nordica is a great workhorse and was a very reliable warrior on the route.

Ajmadden123

Quote from: ste898 on February 22, 2015, 05:14:33 PM
Quote from: giftgrub on February 22, 2015, 01:21:07 PM
Would not pay to much interest in Facebook comments as on average, a lot of the comments are beyond strange in context and meaning.

How can the introduction of a luxury passenger ferry replacing a smaller vessel be negative, if the HSS was so popular why was it running over half empty on most crossings last year, Stena have got to promote this massive investment and it has got to work, it is no longer an inferior product to the Adventurer and they need both ferries sailing at max passenger capacity. I think the finish and fit out to the Superfast X will be a big update for the route and only once people get a chance to sail on the ferry will its success be gauged.

The fact that the Superfast X has been through a few owners is irrelevant as the vessel is 12/13 years old, has just been rebuilt for the route and has a good 20+ years of full working life left, yes it's sad that the HSS is gone, but that was hardly a surprise and I think the introduction of the Superfast X is very positive, they could have put a glorified freighter on the route but took the decision to make a major investment in a proper passenger vessel, offering an upgraded passenger experience.

Oh dear I just have to comment on this

1st the having travrlled on the fantastic HSS on the Stranraer Belfast route and then s couple of times on the slow 'superfast' ferries

I felt stena had gone back 30 years in the Super fast (what a stupid name for a slow boat)

Now again the same is happening on the southern route

The 21st century HSS is off and 20th century slow boat on

Oh and I think you need to get real as those people on Facebook are probably mostly customers yes people that travel on the route and certainly won't be happy being ridiculed by a no all giftgrub

Stena line have never meant the ferries being "superfast", the name comes from the original owners, Superfast Ferries. This has nothing to do with the fact that she's slower than the HSS, even though there called that. Its just a name.

ferryfan

The ship is looking fantastic, I have just booked a trip on her for the middle of march looking forward to having a good look round.

DublinPeter

That's a great set of shots - she really does look well.  Looking forward to getting a trip on her and seeing the job they have done on the interior.

I'm with Giftgrub on this one - I was a massive fan of both the concept and the HSS Ferries themselves and it's a real pity they won't be around anymore but the economics speak for themselves sadly.  Makes me even sadder given that I'm from Dun Laoghaire and the port has lost it's fast ferry service (hopefully temporarily but that's a discussion for another thread!). 

For now, lets see what impact Superfast X has on the route (and yes, expect Stena to make great capital of the name "Superfast" - It means a brand of ship to us as enthusiasts but something else entirely to Joe Punter!).  Importantly, its good too that she should secure the jobs of UK/Irish Stena seafarers too and that has to be welcomed.

Pete

IFPete

The fact is Irish Ferries took a lot of freight business from  Stena by taking in a charter vessel at low risk and operating it on Dubin - Holyhead five days a week. The charter has paid off and the bonus of bringing cars in from France at the weekends has made the discision to bring her to Ireland a good business decision.

We will see in the coming weeks if Irish Ferries go to the well and purchase a modern high capacity vessel to work permanently on the route Dublin Holyhead route allowing Epsilon to develop new markets to the continent for the Irish Economy. 

Superfast X will not increase freight capacity which was in itself not a good business decision although it will allow foot passengers more travel options which is a good thing.

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on February 24, 2015, 12:41:59 AM
The fact is Irish Ferries took a lot of freight business from  Stena by taking in a charter vessel at low risk and operating it on Dubin - Holyhead five days a week. The charter has paid off and the bonus of bringing cars in from France at the weekends has made the discision to bring her to Ireland a good business decision.

We will see in the coming weeks if Irish Ferries go to the well and purchase a modern high capacity vessel to work permanently on the route Dublin Holyhead route allowing Epsilon to develop new markets to the continent for the Irish Economy. 

Superfast X will not increase freight capacity which was in itself not a good business decision although it will allow foot passengers more travel options which is a good thing.

Why add more freight capacity - theres already too much on the central corridor!  Stena have simply consolidated their peak passenger and freight capacity using 3 ships into 2 ships, with the resulting reduction in costs.  Much of the business Epsilon has taken is the growth in the market from the economy improving rather than taken directly from competitors - Stena's numbers while slightly down haven't exactly collapsed, plus there has also been a significant increase on Liverpool-Belfast freight traffic.  Time will tell what the next development will be of course, but Stena rarely make poor judgements in these matters.  All that is certain is that there will be changes in the future, and not necessarily just amongst IF and Stena. It is often overlooked, but Seatruck and in particular P&O carry large volumes of unaccompanied traffic out of Liverpool.

mrwt.nsf

Really great photos of the Superfast X, she looks splendid and thanks for posting them. I'm sure it's been said before, but it's good that we've got the lack of funnel fin tips to tell her a part from her North Channel Sisters. It's great to see she's on her way to Holyhead now, ETA 26th.  Now is the plan to replace the Nordica, who will then cover for the Adventurer, or will the Nordica go North and cover there?
Also does anybody here think Stena will contemplate using the Superfast X to cover for her sisters in future years, which will risk dropping Holyhead route to one ship against Irish Ferries? I personally think yes as they are sister ships, but I am curious for other opinions.

Steven

Quote from: mrwtho07 on February 24, 2015, 09:35:24 AM
Really great photos of the Superfast X, she looks splendid and thanks for posting them. I'm sure it's been said before, but it's good that we've got the lack of funnel fin tips to tell her a part from her North Channel Sisters. It's great to see she's on her way to Holyhead now, ETA 26th.  Now is the plan to replace the Nordica, who will then cover for the Adventurer, or will the Nordica go North and cover there?
Also does anybody here think Stena will contemplate using the Superfast X to cover for her sisters in future years, which will risk dropping Holyhead route to one ship against Irish Ferries? I personally think yes as they are sister ships, but I am curious for other opinions.

Stena Superfast X would be unsuitable as cover for VII and VIII and she has not had her deck height raised.  Stena Nordica is expected up here some time next week I am told.

HSS

Quote from: giftgrub on February 18, 2015, 09:34:28 PM
Some more behind the scenes images of the Superfast X rebuild here

http://www.sealink-holyhead.net/#!stena-superfast-x-refit/c1i6h

After reading this, I wonder if it is indeed Captain Richard Davies who is currently enroute with the Superfast X to Holyhead?

IFPete

Stena Superfast X is approaching Larne, Due in Holyhead 0530 AM.

Steven

Just crossed the path of her sisters run, and nearly met VII.  They'd have been visible from each other at this distance

Something not to be repeated for a while at least - all 3 Superfast sisters within a few miles of each other.