Your favourite ferry

Started by HSS, November 13, 2014, 11:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TC

Lots too choose from. As many will probably guess its going to be a P&O vessel. Norbank would be quite high on my list, I think the crew are very good. Many of the pursers previously worked on vessels like 'KB' and Norsun (P&O and Stena), and the Filipino crew are A1. The catering team are very, very good. I was quite impressed with the food, very North Sea Ferries style, i.e. decent portions, and quality and selection was good.

I tend to quite like the European Highlander, to be honest I think she has aged far better internally and externally than Stena Nordica. She is always clean, and the crew keep her very smart (Very few - if any, rust streaks), and the decks are in great condition, no flaking paint.

A rather odd choice, one that amused me a little was the Pride of Rathlin. Her boxy, stacked up, 'ugly duckling' appearance is somewhat striking, and a little unusual. Putting this aside she served the route well, and is still in service in Indonesia at 43 years old!!!!

What would be my favourite Stena vessel? Stena HSS Explorer would be probably number 1. Followed by Koningin Beatrix (KB). Her predecessor, Felicity was a very interesting, and quite futuristic super ferry, so she is definitely worth a mention.

Last but not least Irish Ferries - I quite liked the Isle of Inishfree, she shares a lot of her design with Norbank and Norbay, particularly the stern, and she was quite a simple and sturdy vessel. Like a comfortable Visentini. To be honest when I looked at restaurant on Epsilon I shuddered when I saw those really cheap and nasty plastic chairs, like something you would have on a garden patio. However they could be considered an improvement on the European Endeavours metal ones!

Steven

At present, probably Stena Mersey.  Im willing to have my mind changed if anyone fancies paying for tickets though ;)
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

kai

On the Irish seas been only on the Stena Felicity, Koningin Beatrix, Stena LynxIII and Stena Europe. As I child I had fond memories of the Felicity. But then again my childhood memories see her as a big cruise ferry while she was smaller than Koningin Beatrix. Loved the Lynx. Could still walk on real bumpy storm crossings when conditions worsened on the way without getting seasick. Loved it that I was still able to walk without problems as a teenager while others needed the railings to hold onto  ;D :o
And on the Lynx you could see onto the bridge as a passenger if the screenings weren't put down.

HSS

What about Stena Adventurer?

PaddyL

Quote from: HSS on January 25, 2016, 08:30:04 PM
What about Stena Adventurer?

Something about that ship I have never warmed to.

Never find service quite as good as the other Stena ships on Irish Sea and her accommodation is odd.

visentini 345

Stena Lagan
Stena Mersey
European Causeway
European Highlander
Stena Europe
Isle of Innishmore
Stena Superfast VII , VIII
Manannan
Stena Horizon
Norbay Norbank

PaddyL

Quote from: luke wilson on January 28, 2016, 07:46:57 PM
Stena Lagan
Stena Mersey
European Causeway
European Highlander
Stena Europe
Isle of Innishmore
Stena Superfast VII , VIII
Manannan
Stena Horizon
Norbay Norbank

Is that not almost every ship on the Irish Sea?

awaityourreply

Some happy memories travelling on various ferries during past Summer times growing up

Innisfallen vessel in 1984 on Rosslare to Pembroke Dock (B+I Line)
St. Killian II vessel in 1985 on Rosslare-Cherbourg/Le Havre-Rosslare (Irish Continental Line)
Saint Brendan vessel in 1986 on Rosslare-Fishguard (Sealink British Ferries)
Earl Harold vessel in 1989 on Rosslare to Pembroke Dock (joint Sealink and B+I Line operated service)
Celtic Pride vessel in 1992 on Cork to Swansea route (Swansea Cork Car Ferries Ltd.)
Duchess Anne vessel in 1994 on Cork to St. Malo route (Brittany Ferries) Formerly B+I Line ship "Connacht" built @Verolme Dockyard Cork
Koningin Beatrix in 1996 on Rosslare to Fishguard (Stena Line)

NathanBrady

Collision-course

Fastnet Lines MV Julia ............................ but then I am biased lol.

seaman

1. Stena Europe
2. Stena Spirit/Stena Vision
3. Stena Danica
4. Stena Hollandica/Stena Britannica

Steven

Quote from: seaman on February 12, 2016, 08:34:08 PM
1. Stena Europe
2. Stena Spirit/Stena Vision
3. Stena Danica
4. Stena Hollandica/Stena Britannica
Bit of a Stena fan then!

RorieLen

Galloway Princess. I also had a soft spot for Darnia, but the Galloway has yet to be bettered for me.

Stena Fergus

Galloway Princess was the best looking of the Saint class, then St Anselm, the St Christopher didn't look as good due to the railings instead of plated passenger decks and the permanently squinty Sealink British Ferries blue line, which was still squinty when it became the red Stena Line, and don't even get me started on the St David with its lopsided stern bridge then the horror of the duck tail sponson!

Antrim Princess was always my favourite, looked better than near sister Ailsa Princess, which, although the extended white stripes on the funnel were cool, had that weird "stick for a mast" thing going on, both on the mast and the funnel!

Steven

Quote from: Stena Fergus on February 19, 2016, 04:51:05 PM
Galloway Princess was the best looking of the Saint class, then St Anselm, the St Christopher didn't look as good due to the railings instead of plated passenger decks and the permanently squinty Sealink British Ferries blue line, which was still squinty when it became the red Stena Line, and don't even get me started on the St David with its lopsided stern bridge then the horror of the duck tail sponson!

Antrim Princess was always my favourite, looked better than near sister Ailsa Princess, which, although the extended white stripes on the funnel were cool, had that weird "stick for a mast" thing going on, both on the mast and the funnel!
I preferred the railings myself - more traditional I suppose.  Wouldn't fancy reverse parking with a duck-tail sponson myself ;).