Stena Lagan/Mersey - Liverpool to Belfast

Started by LiverpoolIrishLiam, July 10, 2014, 01:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiverpoolIrishLiam

Hi everyone,

I will be travelling on Stena Mersey for the first time next Wednesday evening from Liverpool to Belfast and, I was wondering what is the ship like? Does anybody have any images? I've seen images from the Stena Line website, but i'd like to know if anybody has the same opinion? Also are there sockets in the cabins to charge phones laptop etc?

Any information or images you have would be helpful!

Thank you! :)

ScottMackey

Photos of Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey on my Flickr site at https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/sets/72157625811741177/

And, yes, there are plugs in the cabins.

Steven

Quote from: LiverpoolIrishLiam on July 10, 2014, 01:55:14 AM
Hi everyone,

I will be travelling on Stena Mersey for the first time next Wednesday evening from Liverpool to Belfast and, I was wondering what is the ship like? Does anybody have any images? I've seen images from the Stena Line website, but i'd like to know if anybody has the same opinion? Also are there sockets in the cabins to charge phones laptop etc?

Any information or images you have would be helpful!

Thank you! :)
Hi

I'm just off Mersey this morning believe it or not!  I will be posting pics up at some stage on my site.  From memory there are 2 plugs in the cabins, above the bedside table.  Theres also wifi internet onboard but its not that fast (as you would expect in the middle of the irish sea).  Theres some good offers on food btw, well worth checking out the food offering on board.  Have a look at Scott's pics, they give a good feel of what the ship is like.  If it is this coming Wednesday I will also be on board!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

cosseric.coss

I wonder will the Stena Horizon be painted up in the same livery as Stena Lagan and Mersey?

TC

I would expect that'll be done at the next dry-docking. I expect she will have a refit as well, not sure if H&W or Cammell Laird would be doing it or who, or the extent. I'm not sure but I presume it will either be like the Stena Mersey / Lagan approach (full refurbishment) or like the Stena Nordica's first 5 years with Stena, basically covering up P&O signage on the interior, and just painting the vessel and funnel. (basic rebranding).

Steven

Quote from: TC on July 10, 2014, 08:21:32 PM
I would expect that'll be done at the next dry-docking. I expect she will have a refit as well, not sure if H&W or Cammell Laird would be doing it or who, or the extent. I'm not sure but I presume it will either be like the Stena Mersey / Lagan approach (full refurbishment) or like the Stena Nordica's first 5 years with Stena, basically covering up P&O signage on the interior, and just painting the vessel and funnel. (basic rebranding).

I think the extent of any refit will depend on the terms of her charter as much as anything, as well on if Stena plan to keep her in the longer term or have plans for other tonnage.  Lagan and Mersey had additional work carried out after they where purchased, though the bulk of their transformations where carried out at H&W whilst they where still under charter (though the negotiations where probably underway given that they where purchased shortly afterwards).  Its quite possible Horizon will stay as she is as other Visentini's in the Stena fleet still have the original interior.  There has been a few buts done on Horizon already though.

I have got a lot of pics to sift through (approx 500) before getting them uploaded but expect to do so over the weekend.  I certainly want to do so before Wednesday as I need to see what I have missed or need to get again.  I would like to get the reconfigured Met Bar/Grill again as I suspect my pics don't do the area justice.  Would also like to get a wee 360 or two.  Not much use to the op though, as he will be on the same sailing!

LiverpoolIrishLiam

Thank you everyone for all your help and information. I'm really looking forward to travelling on the Liverpool - Belfast route and, Stena Mersey for the first time on Wednesday evening!

LiverpoolIrishLiam

Hi,
Just one more question before I sail tomorrow evening. Are the shops and restaurants open throughout the sailing or are they open at various times throughout the sailing to Belfast?

Steven

Quote from: LiverpoolIrishLiam on July 15, 2014, 10:15:07 PM
Hi,
Just one more question before I sail tomorrow evening. Are the shops and restaurants open throughout the sailing or are they open at various times throughout the sailing to Belfast?

Hi again Liam

No, the shops do not open throughout.  From memory both the met bar and the shop where open until about 11 last week.  They of course reopen in the morning.  From memory it was 5 or 5:30.  Most people go to the restaurant/bar on boarding and eat then, which is approx 1hr before departure.  I have found the food to be of a high standard and reasonably priced as a Stena ship, and it is even served on plates with real cutlery rather than cardboard and plastic!  Theres a good deal on at the moment where you can have a full cooked breakfast with tea or coffee for a fiver.  Also at night two steak dinners and a bottle of wine is £35.  Menu's are available on the website btw.

As for the shop its the standard small gift shop and essential items type affair.  Don't be expecting a big supermarket type thing.  Board with an open mind and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by her.  Her refurbishment and crew make her a step up from a standard Visentini.  One issue I would have is she can rattle a little (like most modern ferries) so you may want to bring earplugs for using in the cabin.

EDIT:  i have tried to upload some pics of her interior, but my hotel's wifi does not seem to like me uploading jpegs ;).     TBH nothing much different from what Scott has uploaded in the earlier link.

Steven

Some interior pics of Stena Mersey (and exterior shots of Stena Superfast VIII) are on my flickr page at www.flickr.com/tarbyonline if anyone is interested!

TC

Stena Mersey's looking well Steven, you'd hardly think she's a Visentini. Nice pics. I've been meaning to stick the Endeavour's interior up for a while. She's more modern than the Alegra, and has had a fair refit, toilets fully refurbished, new carpets in some areas, but on the note of the food, have to say P&O knocked up a good fry, and evening meal was a substantial fish and chips (ironic being at sea!) and other 2 courses.

As usual i'll be going to the UK for hols, so if any of you guys want pics of the detailed pics of the Endeavour feel free to give me the nod. I have some already, not the most detailed, but it gives you an idea. Got the Endeavours safety announcement as-well, unfortunately missed Capt. Meehan's address.   

Steven

Quote from: TC on July 17, 2014, 10:19:02 PM
Stena Mersey's looking well Steven, you'd hardly think she's a Visentini. Nice pics. I've been meaning to stick the Endeavour's interior up for a while. She's more modern than the Alegra, and has had a fair refit, toilets fully refurbished, new carpets in some areas, but on the note of the food, have to say P&O knocked up a good fry, and evening meal was a substantial fish and chips (ironic being at sea!) and other 2 courses.

As usual i'll be going to the UK for hols, so if any of you guys want pics of the detailed pics of the Endeavour feel free to give me the nod. I have some already, not the most detailed, but it gives you an idea. Got the Endeavours safety announcement as-well, unfortunately missed Capt. Meehan's address.
We passed an inbound Endeavour on the way out last night.  Unfortunately it was a bit dark so my pics of her are a bit (some a lot) blurry.  Would be great to see the inside of her!

Steven

Quote from: Steven on July 18, 2014, 03:03:53 AM
Quote from: TC on July 17, 2014, 10:19:02 PM

We passed an inbound Endeavour on the way out last night.  Unfortunately it was a bit dark so my pics of her are a bit (some a lot) blurry.  Would be great to see the inside of her!

Steven

For anyone interested, I have posted an interior gallery of Stena Mersey on my website

http://www.niferrysite.co.uk/?page_id=412