EC ban on Filipino seafarers remains in force

Started by Steven, May 11, 2014, 10:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

This could get interesting!

QuoteEC ban on Filipino seafarers remains in force
Friday, 09 May 2014 15:20

The European Commission (EC) is continuing to uphold a ban on Filipino seafarers working on EU-registered vessels, despite the "substantial efforts" from the Philippine authorities to reform its maritime education, training and certification system.

Making the announcement via an EU delegation in Manila, the EC acknowledged the efforts of the Philippines authorities, but still expressed concern that the audits and reforms were "actually being carried out" in line with the requirements of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW).
"Furthermore, competent staff must be available to monitor the numerous maritime education and training institutions operating in the country," noted the EC, giving the Philippines a July deadline to provide necessary evidence that all issues had been addressed.

"Failure to do so may still result in the loss of EU recognition," concluded the EC.

Approximately 15,000 Filipino masters and officers are believed to be working on board ships registered in the EU.
http://www.bairdmaritime.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15371:ec-ban-on-filipino-seafarers-remains-in-force&catid=111:general-shipping-news&Itemid=205
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Collision-course

Could get very interesting , but not before time either , given the spate of accidents in recent years , and some horrific stories emerging about lack of competence of crews , questions needed to be asked around weather training standards had fallen as more and more crews are provided by international agencies.
The sinking of the MV Sewol is a classic example , ship overloaded to triple its allowed cargo weight , unrecorded design alterations , dubious certification of its recorded design alterations , crew abandons ship after telling passengers to stay in cabins on a sinking ship , no order to abandon ship given and no lifeboats launched , only one crew member tried to evacuate passengers (over 100 lives saved) and lost her own life doing so.
Questions need to be asked and finally someone is asking them , while this is a step in the right direction it by no means solves the problem.
Life at sea is difficult , and competent operation of a modern ship is a difficult task , not everyone is up to it , it used to be that there were efficient systems for weeding out those who were not up to the job , however in recent decades focus has been on payroll cost and tax liabilities rather than competency of crew and quality of employees.

Steven

Quote from: Collision-course on May 11, 2014, 11:36:01 PM
Could get very interesting , but not before time either , given the spate of accidents in recent years , and some horrific stories emerging about lack of competence of crews , questions needed to be asked around weather training standards had fallen as more and more crews are provided by international agencies.
The sinking of the MV Sewol is a classic example , ship overloaded to triple its allowed cargo weight , unrecorded design alterations , dubious certification of its recorded design alterations , crew abandons ship after telling passengers to stay in cabins on a sinking ship , no order to abandon ship given and no lifeboats launched , only one crew member tried to evacuate passengers (over 100 lives saved) and lost her own life doing so.
Questions need to be asked and finally someone is asking them , while this is a step in the right direction it by no means solves the problem.
Life at sea is difficult , and competent operation of a modern ship is a difficult task , not everyone is up to it , it used to be that there were efficient systems for weeding out those who were not up to the job , however in recent decades focus has been on payroll cost and tax liabilities rather than competency of crew and quality of employees.

As in any business though, company culture can also play a big role.  You can have competent, well trained people but if those people are conditioned to be otherwise through the actions of those in responsibility then its just as bad as having people with poor training.  Unfortunately audits and the like are often not a true reflection of the day to day business.  Wouldn't be the first time there has been a whiff of "fresh paint" when an audit was due.

As I'm not in the maritime sector I can't comment on the way things are done in that arena, but an example of falling standards I think is in food safety.  In the old days you had to go too a proper classroom and do a food safety course with an instructor then take a closed book exam under the supervision of that instructor - the papers came in sealed bags so no one knew what the questions where.  Nowadays its all done on a computer at the lower levels (that is the tests for those actaully handling the food, as opposed to those working in management) with no way of knowing whether its that actual person taking the test or someone else using their ID, let alone knowing if they have all the answers written down in front of them.  My last Level 2 test was taken at home whilst enjoying a few beers!  For the record I got 100% as usual (and no I didn't cheat either!), I find it worrying myself thougj that the pass mark isn't 100% either and there is no additional followup for those that don't get the 100% score.  Of course we are constantly told that food safety standards are improving (no doubt due to the number of people getting food safety certificates) but I wonder how some less honourable businesses are treating this easily exploited system.  Makes you wonder how many other things have been watered down over the years!

I should add that I am not saying that any of this dishonesty has happened at my current or previous employers.

EDIT: Getting back on topic, I wonder how all this applies to EU equal opportunities and anti discrimination law.  Would banning all people of a certain nationality not be possibly construed as racism/discrimination (whether it is or isn't).  Part of me thinks we could see a MyFerryLink length legal battle!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline