2014 - 2015 Central and Southern Corridor

Started by giftgrub, March 10, 2014, 12:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFPete

Here are the traffic figures for Irish Ferries for First half 2014 Versus 2013.

Operational Highlights Six months to 30 June
                     2014                2013    Change % Volumes

Cars            150'000            142'000    +5.9%
Passengers  683'000            678'000    +0.8%
RoRo Freight 118'000            99'000    +18.5%
Container Freight (teu.***)
                   142'700          140'600     +1.5%
Port Lifts        92'700            86'000     +7.3%
***teu.: twenty foot equivalent units

If the 18.5 % increase in Irish Ferries freight traffic continues i could see Epsilon going full time on Ireland - France Route in 2015 running opposite Stena Horizon and IOI moving to Dublin to run opposite Ulysses.

This then raises the question as to what IF will bring on to Pembroke Rosslare service.

I see Oscar Wilde running a seasonal service to Roscoff and Cherbourg and taking over Pembroke during refit periods. 

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on October 02, 2014, 05:27:34 PM
Here are the traffic figures for Irish Ferries for First half 2014 Versus 2013.

Operational Highlights Six months to 30 June
                     2014                2013    Change % Volumes

Cars            150'000            142'000    +5.9%
Passengers  683'000            678'000    +0.8%
RoRo Freight 118'000            99'000    +18.5%
Container Freight (teu.***)
                   142'700          140'600     +1.5%
Port Lifts        92'700            86'000     +7.3%
***teu.: twenty foot equivalent units

If the 18.5 % increase in Irish Ferries freight traffic continues i could see Epsilon going full time on Ireland - France Route in 2015 running opposite Stena Horizon and IOI moving to Dublin to run opposite Ulysses.

This then raises the question as to what IF will bring on to Pembroke Rosslare service.

I see Oscar Wilde running a seasonal service to Roscoff and Cherbourg and taking over Pembroke during refit periods.

Hmmm, it's unfortunate we don't know the breakdown of where the increased traffic is coming from.  There's no guarantee that it's on Ireland-France.  There's bound to have been some uplift in figures on the Holyhead route, especially considering Epsilon only operates Ireland-France at weekends.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

20knots

In a similar vein from the Dept of Transport website:

QuoteMinister Donohoe welcomes Dublin Port's strong growth figures in the first nine months of 2014

09 October 2014

Imports and exports up 7.3%, ferry passengers rise 5.5%

Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Paschal Donohoe today (Thursday) welcomed Dublin Port Company's strong throughput statistics which were published for the third quarter of 2014. The figures for this period show a 7.3% increase in export and import trade, as well as a 5.5% rise in ferry passenger numbers moving through Ireland's largest and busiest port.

Speaking today Minister Donohoe said: 'Dublin Port has an important role to play at the heart of the national and local economy, facilitating the effective movement of goods to and from the island. Today's trading figures show the resilience of the Irish economy and I commend Dublin Port Company on its strong trading performance in the third quarter and year to date. As a barometer of economic growth, the figures point to a very promising year for 2014 with strong increases in both throughput and ferry passenger numbers already evident. This is very welcome news indeed.'

Summary of Q3 Trade Statistics

(Full post at link below; I tried to post the statistics but they were going to be all over the place and not in line):
http://transport.ie/press-releases/2014/minister-donohoe-welcomes-dublin-port%E2%80%99s-strong-growth-figures-first-nine-month-0

giftgrub

Posted on Facebook Rosslare maritime enthusiasts today, here is one  reason why the Stena Nordica won't replace the Stena Europe in its current configuration. Not enough space at peak travel time.

https://www.facebook.com/rosslaremaritime.enthusiasts?fref=ts

"Darren Milward Having across from fishguard last night as booked. Chaos started and the 02.45 pembroke sailing was cancelled and some irish ferries passenger were transferred to stena and had a race to get from.pembroke to fishguard. Stena Europe was bumper to bumper with cars last.night on all.decks and.many people were left sitting/lying on the floors as there was not enough seating and.all cabins were in use. Made it even more lovely on a rough crossing that docks at 7.45 this morning instead of the.expected 06.15. Am happy tho as I am in Eire. Merry Christmas all!"

HSS

Wow that's interesting, sounds like the MV Connacht on a night sailing to Liverpool many moons ago  ;)

Davy Jones

Anybody know how Stena are coping on the central corridor without the HSS to help out? I ask as I notice the Adventurer left Dublin slightly early this evening, I assume she was full so able to get underway.

HSS

Good question, I was wondering the same thing, busy but coping maybe?

Steven

On the Irish Ferries Fleet Movements topic it has been suggested that Irish Ferries may make a move for Stena Jutlandica.  As we where moving off topic I have suggested the discussion continues here.

Personally I don't see this happening as Stena won't sell to a rival, and if Jutlandica had been available it would have been much cheaper to move her to Dublin than acquire and convert Dieppe Seaways.  Contrary to speculation, Stena DONT need the cash and aren't under pressure to raise revenue.  One of the benefits of not being publicly traded is the ability to take a long term view.

Speaking of used tonnage, it has been suggested elsewhere that SNCM may be open to selling some of their fleet with Brittany Ferries said to be interested.  Whatever happens at Calais may have a direct or indirect bearing on available tonnage as well I guess (I've always said Calais Seaways wouldn't be a bad fit on the Southern Corridor for example), the Dover strait is operating over capacity and so whatever happens tonnage is likely to be displaced. 

Its been a badly kept secret for the best part of a year now that Dieppe Seaways was going to end up at Dublin, so you'd think ICG would have some sort of plan.  Epsilon whilst filling a role is perhaps not the answer in the longer term, or is the plan for the Swift to handle the tourist and passenger traffic on her behalf?

IFPete

Epsilon is a great ship in terms of freight capacity but not an ideal cover in event of bad weather,

The only blessing is that the Swifts early sailings which are normally busy are in tandum with the Ulysses so at least there overflow solution except in high summer,

The afternoon is where the problem is. This is Stena Nordica's busiest sailing.

Lets see how ICG responds after Stena bring in the new ship.

I doubt Calais Seaways would survive a winter on Georges Channel.

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on January 03, 2015, 01:27:00 PM
I doubt Calais Seaways would survive a winter on Georges Channel.
Perhaps, though many a smaller and more fragile ship has managed it in the past.  IIRC she isn't the most manoeuvrable ship in the world though, and being designed for the Sover strait conversion could be costly.  There's always the chance she could end up elsewhere and displace something else.  IF DFDS do get their hands on the myferrylink twins she's gonna not only be te weak link but also probably surplus to requirements.

Speaking of Rodin and Berlioz, I wouldn't mind seeing them on the Irish sea at some point though much work word need to be done to make them suitable.  Which reminds me, in terms of purchasing tonnage outright ICG are probably going to be up against Stena in the bidding.  They too have tonnage which needs replaced.

DublinPeter

Quote from: Davy Jones on December 22, 2014, 10:01:48 PM
Anybody know how Stena are coping on the central corridor without the HSS to help out? I ask as I notice the Adventurer left Dublin slightly early this evening, I assume she was full so able to get underway.

Very busy on the (funnily enough) very busy days ex Holyhead about 20-22 December and from both sides 27-29 Dec and the last few days.  Nordica in particular, given her limited capacity, was sold out on most days and passengers were being offered passage on Adventurer sailings.  Given the fact that Adventurers timings wouldn't suit a lot of people, others would have gone to IF and travelled via IOI or Swift (when she ran).  Obviously the loss of revenue from the passengers who went to IF was considered cheaper than running Explorer.  A mistake in terms of share I reckon, but we never know what's going on at board level where these things are ultimately decided!

Pete

giftgrub

Quote from: DublinPeter on January 03, 2015, 06:55:57 PM

Very busy on the (funnily enough) very busy days ex Holyhead about 20-22 December and from both sides 27-29 Dec and the last few days.  Nordica in particular, given her limited capacity, was sold out on most days and passengers were being offered passage on Adventurer sailings.  Given the fact that Adventurers timings wouldn't suit a lot of people, others would have gone to IF and travelled via IOI or Swift (when she ran).  Obviously the loss of revenue from the passengers who went to IF was considered cheaper than running Explorer.  A mistake in terms of share I reckon, but we never know what's going on at board level where these things are ultimately decided!

Pete

Problem of capacity will be solved once Superfast X arrives to replace Nordica, plenty of passenger space, HSS dry docking will cost many millions, short term loss of passengers,  long term gain for the business profitability.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on January 03, 2015, 09:42:43 PM
Quote from: DublinPeter on January 03, 2015, 06:55:57 PM

Pete

Problem of capacity will be solved once Superfast X arrives to replace Nordica, plenty of passenger space, HSS dry docking will cost many millions, short term loss of passengers,  long term gain for the business profitability.

Yup, it's a case of Stena taking a longer-term view on this one.  I'm sure they won't be too long tempting those passengers back with special offers, etc if required - particularly given the business will not have the drain of the HSS's running costs affecting profitability.  Regarding Stena Superfast X she will be similar to her sisters internally but far from identical I believe.

IFPete

Another ship with too many owners and hence in need of a lot of care and attention.

I hope they get to the bottom of all those technical problems that plaged her on  Dover - Calais.

20knots

Presumably Stena Superfast X, being true to her appellation, will offer at least some crossings of around 2 h 45 minutes?