Two former Irish Sea Ferries facing the end

Started by giftgrub, February 16, 2014, 09:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Ibn Batouta is currently under the tow of the tug Brucoli, with a picture posted to Facebook posted earlier today.  The tugs destination is Durres in Albania.  It has been said that she is going there for scrapping, however, I believe she has been purchased by the owner of Red Star 1, so personally I think there is some hope she could be fixed up and put back in to service.

Le Rif has also recently been pictured under tow, however, her destination is unknown at present.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Would be amazing if it sailed again, interesting times ahead

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on August 11, 2015, 10:24:35 PM
Would be amazing if it sailed again, interesting times ahead
Let's hope so.  The ships monthly article suggests that her main problems are damp, mould, and cosmetic issues.  She was overhauled shortly before her layup and upgraded for Stockholm agreement compliance as well.  It's been a while since those engines were turned over though :s

Steven

Al Mansour (ex Stena Nordica, Reine Astrid) BEACHED at Alaiga.

giftgrub

Steven

NIFerrySite updated with more images and information about both Ibn Batouta and Le Rif.  http://www.niferrysite.co.uk/former-stena-antrim-towed-to-albania-unknown-destination-for-former-galloway-princess/

It appears that the dockyard at Durres has started to dismantle ships, however, the relatively high price and nature of the buyer of the former Stena Antrim suggests she may see further service.

There have been internals from a year or two ago posted on dfe.boards.net, showing that Ibn Batouta is in worse condition that the pictures in ships monthly would suggest.

Le Rif (ex Galloway Princess, Stena Galloway) was towed  over a month ago, but her destination and current whereabouts is unknown.

UPDATE:  Le Rif is still in Morocco.  It appears she was simply being moved within Tangier Med II.  All four saint class ships still afloat!

Stena Fergus

The tug Brucoli towing the former Stena Antrim arrived in Durres yesterday.....

giftgrub

The blowtorches have reached the Al Mansour

https://instagram.com/p/636Ck9LkDd/?taken-by=captainselim

images of better times for the Al Mansour

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/StenaNordica1975.html

Steven

Shippax have confirmed that Ibn Batouta has arrived in Durres.  Still nothing definite on her future though.

Steven

According to a comment left on niferrysite by someone in Albania,  Ibn Batouta WILL enter service from Albania, but will take a while to sort out.

Ainos

Hello,

I can confirm that the Bari is still very active! I travelled on her this summer from Bari to Sami (Kefalonia) and I found her to be in excellent condition :)
She is in fact, according to statements from Ventouris Ferries, the most reliable ferry they have.

In the winter months, she will be used again on the route between Bari and Durres (Albania).

Below is a picture taken in August in Sami: