Mercy Ships order massive hospital ship ?

Started by giftgrub, January 06, 2014, 09:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Interesting that Stena Ro-Ro is involved as well as deltamarin.  She's very ropax like in her lines (hardly surprising given that Africa Mercy is a converted rail ferry), it wouldn't surprise me if the yard go for some ropax work on the back of this project.  I think any organisation which can afford to give out free medical care must have serious financial backing - according too their website "Mercy Ships is funded by an increasing number of committed supporters, including Individuals, Rotary Clubs, Trusts, Schools, Churches, and Companies".  AFAIK the purchase of Africa Mercy was funded (or mostly funded):by a single donation!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

smallboatowner

QuoteInteresting that Stena Ro-Ro is involved as well as deltamarin.  She's very ropax like in her lines (hardly surprising given that Africa Mercy is a converted rail ferry), it wouldn't surprise me if the yard go for some ropax work on the back of this project.  I think any organisation which can afford to give out free medical care must have serious financial backing - according too their website "Mercy Ships is funded by an increasing number of committed supporters, including Individuals, Rotary Clubs, Trusts, Schools, Churches, and Companies".  AFAIK the purchase of Africa Mercy was funded (or mostly funded):by a single donation!

I believe that person was Ann Gloag who established the Stagecoach Transport Group

Collision-course

QuoteInteresting that Stena Ro-Ro is involved as well as deltamarin.  She's very ropax like in her lines (hardly surprising given that Africa Mercy is a converted rail ferry), it wouldn't surprise me if the yard go for some ropax work on the back of this project.  I think any organisation which can afford to give out free medical care must have serious financial backing - according too their website "Mercy Ships is funded by an increasing number of committed supporters, including Individuals, Rotary Clubs, Trusts, Schools, Churches, and Companies".  AFAIK the purchase of Africa Mercy was funded (or mostly funded):by a single donation!

I believe that person was Ann Gloag who established the Stagecoach Transport Group

Wonderful person Ann Gloag , among the wealthiest women in the UK (I think she was second only to the Queen at one stage) but never forgot her humble beginings , almost never see her in the media spotlight either.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on March 17, 2014, 12:56:49 PM
More info on this major project:

http://www.stenaroro.com/activities/Pages/Atlantic-Mercy.aspx

I knew I had seen Stena Seabird somewhere before!  Just discovered the seabird concept was mentioned back in the 2011 Stena annual review.  I wonder is this related to that one size fits all ferry Stena where talking about for the past few years they can only buy so many visentinis as they only built 24!  Certainly the blurb below (taken from the aforementioned report) would seem to indicate it's a very flexible design, and it would appear it has been further customised for Mercy Ships.

QuoteThe design of a new, state-of-the-art RoPax project, the Stena Seabird class, was completed during the year. This in-house designed project focuses on low environmental impact and cost effective transportation of both cargo and passengers and is well suited for both internal and external customers. The design is flexible so that both day and night versions can be accommodated, as well as changes in the mix between cargo and passenger areas. New alternative fuels such as LNG and methanol have been considered in the design

Collision-course

I suspect that the images we are seeing of the mercy ship are also our first look at Stena Line's new generation hull form.

Steven

Quote from: Collision-course on March 18, 2014, 03:46:05 PM
I suspect that the images we are seeing of the mercy ship are also our first look at Stena Line's new generation hull form.

There are certainly similarities with previous designs as well in the shape.  If nothing else they will be able to evaluate and overcome the engineering challenges during the build which they could then carry over to the ropax series.  Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time Stena have come up with a design only to pull the plug at a later date

Collision-course

Indeed if you look at the images of the forward sections of the ship its not a million miles away from Stena Hollandica and Stena Britannica  , I suspect the Stena Seabird class will be scaled down versions of those with more up to date propulsion systems , I suspect another feature will be that everything above the hull car decks will be modular and may be interchangable between ships by way of modular blocks mounted between the funnel and main bridge.
I suspect though we are some way off being able to inspect a Seabird class for ourselves.

Steven

Quote from: Collision-course on March 19, 2014, 02:03:42 AM
Indeed if you look at the images of the forward sections of the ship its not a million miles away from Stena Hollandica and Stena Britannica  , I suspect the Stena Seabird class will be scaled down versions of those with more up to date propulsion systems , I suspect another feature will be that everything above the hull car decks will be modular and may be interchangable between ships by way of modular blocks mounted between the funnel and main bridge.
I suspect though we are some way off being able to inspect a Seabird class for ourselves.

Transit and Transporter instantly sprung to my mind from the rear view.  For all we know they could have replaced the class in their plans with a new design by now - seapacer was meant to be the future, yet was quickly superseded.  Definitely agree that modular blocks is the way forward though, given cabin block modules have been in use for years I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a shift - especially given how ships are built in prefabricated sections anyway these days.

Steven

Another article on this, this time with a nice rendering showing the ship from the bow end along with the hull.  No mention of the Seabird (shpould have called it Stena Seagull IMHO, much catchier ;) ), and I notice no fin stabilisers.
http://maritimematters.com/2014/03/new-vessel-for-mercy-ships/

giftgrub

Would imagine it will have stabilisers fitted, they are not in the renderings but you can be sure it will need them for onboard comfort, a flume tank on a vessel that size would be a huge risk.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on March 25, 2014, 06:37:39 PM
Would imagine it will have stabilisers fitted, they are not in the renderings but you can be sure it will need them for onboard comfort, a flume tank on a vessel that size would be a huge risk.

Exactly what I was thinking.  With a 12kt service speed she's a bit of a plodder.  Pity she isn't being built in Europe though, the yards could do with the work, but alas they probably couldn't compete on price especially given the cost of producing her in China.

bfm003

Possibly not - these hospital ships spend months in the same place and do not spend much time at sea so perhaps imagined that stabilizers are not worth the cost.

Steven

Quote from: MAKman on March 25, 2014, 07:38:02 PM

Possibly not - these hospital ships spend months in the same place and do not spend much time at sea so perhaps imagined that stabilizers are not worth the cost.

Likewise on the low service speed.  Think I'm right in saying these ships treat people whilst in port not at sea, with sometimes the medical staff joining the ship at the port rather than travelling onboard as they are often volunteers who take a break from their jobs in wealthier countries to help out.