All change with Ferry & Cruise Review

Started by giftgrub, May 14, 2013, 09:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

All New website now online at ferrypubs.co.uk, next issue of magazine due soon.

ccs

Quote from: giftgrub on July 28, 2015, 09:58:05 PM
All New website now online at ferrypubs.co.uk, next issue of magazine due soon.

Looks well and a lot easier to navigate than before. Ferry pubs do great books but their delivery to Ireland is very slow. I usually order from someone like Bernard McCalls Coastal Shipping who have a same day despatch of items that are in stock.

Steven

My copy should hopefully be here today, courtesy of Bernard and Doreen at Coastal Shipping.  TBH, not sure why I keep buying this as sloppy mistakes continue to plague the publication.

On a related note, apparently this issue is a limited print run.  I think (personally) they have taken this limited print run thing a bit far now!!!!!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

PaddyL

Is limited print run another way of saying "not as popular as it used to be"!

Steven

Quote from: PaddyL on August 06, 2015, 11:35:28 PM
Is limited print run another way of saying "not as popular as it used to be"!
Quite possibly. Seems to have disappeared from Eason's as well.  I wonder what the circulation/readership figures are like these days, and whether a significant number of magazines have been unsold in the past.

Seems all of the "limited print run" books published over the past year are still available as well.  Perhaps it would help if they actually published on time instead of letting publication dates lapse constantly (in some cases by over a year so far!)

giftgrub

New Issue out this week, includes feature on Dun Laoghaire

ccs

Got it ion the post the other day. Good article and pics in the Dun Laoghaire feature.

giftgrub

Just got my copy today, also nice review of Malo Seaways and a former Pride of Winchester, as usual a few errors but they make it more interesting these days.

giftgrub

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on January 26, 2016, 09:27:20 PM
Latest issue posted today, includes feature on Stena's Rosslare -France operations

http://www.ferrypubs.co.uk/product-category/ferry-cruise-review-magazine/latest-edition/
Impeccable timing, given she is currently in a 2 week long dry-dock/refit in Belfast!

giftgrub

All change again with Ferry & Cruise Review, new look, new editor Richard Kirkman replacing the now retired John Henry, new Dover port based reporter.

https://www.ferrypubs.co.uk/product/issue-115-winter-2018/

This is the first edition of Ferry & Cruise Review under new editorship and this issue features a number of design changes.
Last of the Line – Stena Line's Sassnitz.
Azamara Expands – Adonia to join the fleet.
Caribbean Cat and Funky Ferry – Algeciras-Ceuta services.
Cruising on Braemar – The Lochs, castles and coasts of the British Isles.
Jadrolinija's Sis – Still in service.
Plus all the news from the UK, Europe and beyond.

Best of luck to all involved, still great to get a printed magazine in the post.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on January 23, 2018, 10:21:24 PM
All change again with Ferry & Cruise Review, new look, new editor Richard Kirkman replacing the now retired John Henry, new Dover port based reporter.

https://www.ferrypubs.co.uk/product/issue-115-winter-2018/

This is the first edition of Ferry & Cruise Review under new editorship and this issue features a number of design changes.
Last of the Line – Stena Line's Sassnitz.
Azamara Expands – Adonia to join the fleet.
Caribbean Cat and Funky Ferry – Algeciras-Ceuta services.
Cruising on Braemar – The Lochs, castles and coasts of the British Isles.
Jadrolinija's Sis – Still in service.
Plus all the news from the UK, Europe and beyond.

Best of luck to all involved, still great to get a printed magazine in the post.
John Hendy.  That was a ferrypubs like typo GG 😉

giftgrub

So So Wish the typo was intentional, could have claimed some F&CR related influence, purely down to using ipad.

New issue is certainly different and with a new editor taking charge will take a few issues to settle in.

After my first read would comment, images seem to be less, much more use of Bold print for vessel names, big reduction on images to illustrate articles, full page on Ulysses with not one image, surely same text over two pages with images would have worked.

I do still get enjoyment of having a magazine delivered and sitting down to read it, so love the fact that they are still in business, bought my first copy issue 2 on board the Felicity many years ago and have managed to read nearly every issue since, purchasing in Marty Barrett's shop in the Rosslare terminal four times a year and then on subscription when funds allowed commitment to the three year sub.

Well aware they have annoyed some of the contributors on this forum but it is the only dedicated ferry magazine we have in Ireland and UK and I hope they build on the foundations that they have and develop the magazine further

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on February 06, 2018, 11:16:20 PM
So So Wish the typo was intentional, could have claimed some F&CR related influence, purely down to using ipad.

New issue is certainly different and with a new editor taking charge will take a few issues to settle in.

After my first read would comment, images seem to be less, much more use of Bold print for vessel names, big reduction on images to illustrate articles, full page on Ulysses with not one image, surely same text over two pages with images would have worked.

I do still get enjoyment of having a magazine delivered and sitting down to read it, so love the fact that they are still in business, bought my first copy issue 2 on board the Felicity many years ago and have managed to read nearly every issue since, purchasing in Marty Barrett's shop in the Rosslare terminal four times a year and then on subscription when funds allowed commitment to the three year sub.

Well aware they have annoyed some of the contributors on this forum but it is the only dedicated ferry magazine we have in Ireland and UK and I hope they build on the foundations that they have and develop the magazine further
I wonder if the reduction in images is to get the page count down?  Can't see any other reason as AFAIK they don't pay for their use!

giftgrub

Just got my copy of the Autumn 2018 magazine and has a great feature on Dublin Swift, amongst all the usual articles also a large feature on New York ferry services.

Plenty of good stuff as always and the usual odd typo, Stena Forerunner marked as Stena Forwarder on a photo caption (not a problem easy to spot when not rushing to check before print deadlines).

Also https://www.niferry.co.uk/ got a mention as the most comprehensive source of info on the Stena E-Flexer series, credit to both author Matt Davies for the mention and the team behind niferry for the info.

In this digital first age, still great to arrive home and see the magazine in the post ( I know it only comes out four times a year but still great to have a physical product).