All change with Ferry & Cruise Review

Started by giftgrub, May 14, 2013, 09:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

Interesting reports, the fact that information is out of date, is fine for me as I would only follow Irish Sea stuff normally and the publication does provide plenty of info on other areas, I always find the Isle of Wight stuff interesting, given the many vessels that sail in those waters. While the web can give instant info I still enjoy a good read of Ferry & Cruise when it arrives. The review of the Viking Grace in the current issue is very good and provides plenty of info on the next generation car ferry.

Personally I could do without the cruise ship stuff and have more articles from the main contributors but I presume the Cruise stuff is of interest to a lot of people and widens the consumer base.

The first copy I ever purchased was also an A5 edition with the Felicity on the cover, I think it was one of the first editions and I have purchased every copy since, for a long time in the late Marty Barrett's shop in the Rosslare Terminal and for the last number of years on subscription.

I do not like the new paper they are printing the magazine on and would love them to offer a better quality print, but the forces of economics as work are obviously behind this change and  I would prefer the magazine to still publish like this rather than switch to Ipad only or similar.

Matt73

QuoteInteresting reports, the fact that information is out of date, is fine for me as I would only follow Irish Sea stuff normally and the publication does provide plenty of info on other areas, I always find the Isle of Wight stuff interesting, given the many vessels that sail in those waters. While the web can give instant info I still enjoy a good read of Ferry & Cruise when it arrives. The review of the Viking Grace in the current issue is very good and provides plenty of info on the next generation car ferry.

Personally I could do without the cruise ship stuff and have more articles from the main contributors but I presume the Cruise stuff is of interest to a lot of people and widens the consumer base.

The first copy I ever purchased was also an A5 edition with the Felicity on the cover, I think it was one of the first editions and I have purchased every copy since, for a long time in the late Marty Barrett's shop in the Rosslare Terminal and for the last number of years on subscription.

I do not like the new paper they are printing the magazine on and would love them to offer a better quality print, but the forces of economics as work are obviously behind this change and  I would prefer the magazine to still publish like this rather than switch to Ipad only or similar.

The issue with the Felicity on the cover was the third!  I have just checked on my book shelf!

Matt

giftgrub

Thanks Matt, the Third Edition, Not bad, knew it was an early one.

giftgrub

Next issue coming soon: and available in digital dowload format as well !!!! feature on the current Stena Nordica in this issue.

The new edition of Ferry & Cruise Review will be published in the week commencing 28th October and includes features on the history of Irish Ferries on their 40th anniversary. The magazine also includes features on Stena Line's Stena Nordica, Eckero Line's new Finlandia and the demise of Newhaven as a ferry port. As from the autumn issue of Ferry & Cruise Review, the magazine will be available as a digital download. Those people wishing to download the magazine by this method should visit our site as from 28th October 2013.

Leading up to Christmas we have a number of new books which are due for publication, including the following:
Free Enterprise I This limited edition book follows the history of this pioneering vessel on the English Channel and in Greece. Published early November 2013.
Dover-Calais This updated edition of the history of the Dover-Calais service, written by John Hendy, brings the history of this famous route up-to-date, including establishment of DFDS and MyFerry Link's operations on this famous service. Published late November 2013.
Silja Line – From De Samseglande to Tallink This new book gathers together for the first time the entire histories of Silja line and Tallink. Written by Kalle Id. Partly bilingual text in Finnish. Published early December 2013.
Ferry & Cruise 2014 This review book replaces our annual which we have produced since 2009. The publication has a wide variety of articles to interest both ferry and cruiseship interests. Published early December 2013.
For 2014 we have various new titles which will be published over the year, including the Ostend Ferry, TransEuropa Years, Folkestone for the Continent 1843-2001, and the SB Ferries. One of the major highlights for 2014 will be the publication of our book on the history of Sealink, written by Matthew Murtland and Richard Seville. The book not only covers the history of this famous ferry company but also looks at where the vessels operated after their careers with Sealink. Advance orders are being taken for this book at a special discounted price.

http://www.ferrypubs.co.uk/news.asp?

and also on their website

We have taken the step to change the grammage and paper quality of the magazine in the light of continued postal increases - we have absorbed the last three postal increases without increasing the cost to our readers. In the light of this we have written to all our regular subscribers explaining the situation, the majority of which have accepted the situation. Obviously there have been some who have been disappointed with the change and are concerned that the quality of the magazine will not be the same in the future. FCR is being printed on standard accepted European quality paper and there is no reason for the quality or production of the magazine to differ from that of its previous editions. Whilst the publishers accept that we did have some photographic issues with the last edition these are being addressed for the summer edition, which should contain high quality pictures as our readers would expect.

Steven

QuoteNext issue coming soon: and available in digital dowload format as well !!!! feature on the current Stena Nordica in this issue.

The new edition of Ferry & Cruise Review will be published in the week commencing 28th October and includes features on the history of Irish Ferries on their 40th anniversary. The magazine also includes features on Stena Line's Stena Nordica, Eckero Line's new Finlandia and the demise of Newhaven as a ferry port. As from the autumn issue of Ferry & Cruise Review, the magazine will be available as a digital download. Those people wishing to download the magazine by this method should visit our site as from 28th October 2013.

Leading up to Christmas we have a number of new books which are due for publication, including the following:
Free Enterprise I This limited edition book follows the history of this pioneering vessel on the English Channel and in Greece. Published early November 2013.
Dover-Calais This updated edition of the history of the Dover-Calais service, written by John Hendy, brings the history of this famous route up-to-date, including establishment of DFDS and MyFerry Link's operations on this famous service. Published late November 2013.
Silja Line – From De Samseglande to Tallink This new book gathers together for the first time the entire histories of Silja line and Tallink. Written by Kalle Id. Partly bilingual text in Finnish. Published early December 2013.
Ferry & Cruise 2014 This review book replaces our annual which we have produced since 2009. The publication has a wide variety of articles to interest both ferry and cruiseship interests. Published early December 2013.
For 2014 we have various new titles which will be published over the year, including the Ostend Ferry, TransEuropa Years, Folkestone for the Continent 1843-2001, and the SB Ferries. One of the major highlights for 2014 will be the publication of our book on the history of Sealink, written by Matthew Murtland and Richard Seville. The book not only covers the history of this famous ferry company but also looks at where the vessels operated after their careers with Sealink. Advance orders are being taken for this book at a special discounted price.

and also on their website

We have taken the step to change the grammage and paper quality of the magazine in the light of continued postal increases - we have absorbed the last three postal increases without increasing the cost to our readers. In the light of this we have written to all our regular subscribers explaining the situation, the majority of which have accepted the situation. Obviously there have been some who have been disappointed with the change and are concerned that the quality of the magazine will not be the same in the future. FCR is being printed on standard accepted European quality paper and there is no reason for the quality or production of the magazine to differ from that of its previous editions. Whilst the publishers accept that we did have some photographic issues with the last edition these are being addressed for the summer edition, which should contain high quality pictures as our readers would expect.
Interesting that they are making it available digitally - I wonder if it will be cheaper?  Another thing is how is photographers work going to be protected as obviously printing/screen grabbing from a file on a computer has better quality than scanning of a magazine.  I have toyed with the idea of sending some pics in previously but to date haven't sent anything in (I sent an email about acceptable formats and got 2 totally different answers) but given the problems some are having with flickr some might be interested to know what ferry pubs are doing to protect their work (which isn't paid for either from what I understand).

The message at the bottom has been on the site for the past couple of issues IIRC.  The Sealink book sounds interesting!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steven

The latest issue arrived with me via the postman this morning from Coastal Shipping.  I would say it is one of the best issues in a long time.  I haven't "proof read" the issue for mistakes, but the print quality issues seem to have been addressed.  The Irish Ferries feature runs to some 8 pages including photographs.  For those of you looking to order a copy online I recommend Coastal Shipping as it is cheaper to get it delivered from them both to the UK and Ireland than it is from the publisher.  Cant find any trace of a digital edition either btw so cant comment on pricing.

The next issue looks promising with features listed as being:7
Impressions of the Normandie and Bretagne
Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey Upgrades
Stena Line 20 Years of Fast Craft
and Southern Baltic Sojourn - A visit to Poland

I hope this is the start of a turnaround for the publication

giftgrub

Just got my copy this evening, looks good so far, only gripe is one single page for Irish Sea news, just one page !

However pages of detail on Irish Ferries and the Stena Nordica nearly make up for this, also a very interesting photo of the Norwegian Epic docked next to a ferry in the med, and a great shot of the Normandy just after Irish Ferries purchased it, all debranded.

Steven

QuoteJust got my copy this evening, looks good so far, only gripe is one single page for Irish Sea news, just one page !

However pages of detail on Irish Ferries and the Stena Nordica nearly make up for this, also a very interesting photo of the Norwegian Epic docked next to a ferry in the med, and a great shot of the Normandy just after Irish Ferries purchased it, all debranded.

It looks to me like the list of contributors to the ferry pubs material has been increased as well - just looking at the forthcoming (and recent) publications would indicate this.  Its good to see more variety in the photographers used as well in this issue.  I'm also loving the shot of Normandy in white and red.  Hopefully the Irish Sea news being so brief is a one off (and lets face it there's already the arrival of Epsilon and Stena Hibernia for starters as well as all the fleet shuffling for Christmas to be covered in the next issue which should take up more space than this months whole Irish sea section to be discussed next time around).  Its actually less than half a page as half a page is an advert for Sealink and Beyond and almost a third of the remaining space is taken up by a picture of Celtic Horizon with a generously spaced caption.  Very poor in comparison to the last issues 3 pages including photographs!  However, as the news is generally way out of date by the time of publication its not as big a deal for me than non-existent special feature articles.

Steven

Has anyone managed to get hold of the latest winter 2014 issue yet?  Is it worth me seeking out (strangely nowhere seems to have it apart from Ferry Publications themselves and their shipping costs take the p a bit!), specifically whats the Stena Visentini and fast craft articles like?

Cheers

Steven

P.S. this is my first post on the shiny new board

giftgrub

Just got the Winter 2014 issue with the Daniya formerly the Stena Navigator on the cover.

Features the now usual typos and incorrect picture explanations but does have a good feature on the Stena Fast Craft developments, plenty of very nice images of the Stena Lagan/Mersey and also a preview of the 100th issue which is published on the 28th April.

From Ferrypubs.co.uk

The new edition of Ferry & Cruise Review has just been published and includes features on Stena Line's fast craft operations, Brittany Ferries' Normandie and Bretagne, and the upgrades of the Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey. The magazine celebrates its 100th edition with the Spring edition, which will include a wide variety of articles from those working in the industry today. For the 100th edition of the magazine, we hope to make the magazine available as an App download.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on February 07, 2014, 11:15:18 PM
Just got the Winter 2014 issue with the Daniya formerly the Stena Navigator on the cover.

Features the now usual typos and incorrect picture explanations but does have a good feature on the Stena Fast Craft developments, plenty of very nice images of the Stena Lagan/Mersey and also a preview of the 100th issue which is published on the 28th April.

From Ferrypubs.co.uk

The new edition of Ferry & Cruise Review has just been published and includes features on Stena Line's fast craft operations, Brittany Ferries' Normandie and Bretagne, and the upgrades of the Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey. The magazine celebrates its 100th edition with the Spring edition, which will include a wide variety of articles from those working in the industry today. For the 100th edition of the magazine, we hope to make the magazine available as an App download.

Cheers Giftgrub, will continue in my search for a copy then!

giftgrub

Coming soon to a postbox near you:

ISSUE 100 !

The new edition of Ferry & Cruise Review has just been published and includes features from the industry on 25 Years in the Ferry Industry from P&O Ferries, Some views from Roscoff, Ireland's Ferry Market by Irish Ferries, Stena Line - A bigger and Bolder Business and Rolling Back the Years by Matthew Punter.

Steven

Latest book publication dates now updated on my website.  Might be worth having a look on this if you have anything pre-ordered from Ferry Publications, it may be a bit later than you thought!  I try to update this at least once a month.

http://www.niferrysite.co.uk/?p=240

Personally I am currently waiting on Sealink and Beyond, The Transeuropa Years, and The Ostend Ferry.  Very disappointed in the Transeuropa title being pushed back!

giftgrub

Issue 101 of Ferry & Cruise has been published and contains the usual plus a feature on the Irish Ferries latest vessel Epsilon and a great feature on Fjord Line ferry Bergensfjord becoming Oslofjord.

giftgrub

Latest issue of Ferry & Cruise Review issue 104, has arrived and features the usual updates and now customary spelling and typo errors, however also has a very nice article on Brittany Ferries "four ferries in four days", DFDS Dover/Dunkerque review and plenty of Superfast X images and Newhaven Dieppe feature, well worth a read. ( also a recent image of the Stena Alegra moored off Batum Island)