What ship will eventually replace the Stena Europe

Started by Stena_Rosslare, December 18, 2009, 05:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stena_Rosslare

An interesting replacement could soon be on the sales list.
Brittany Ferries are to withdraw the Barfleur from the Poole-Cherbourg route in Febuary the route becoming freight only with the seasonal fast ferry service continuing.

The Barfleur has a PC of about 1,200 and can carry around 100 trucks. Could be a good move by Stena Line.

Collision-course

I have heard somewhere that there are concerns that the Stana Britanica may be too long to berth in Dublin port.

ScottMackey

The Stena Nordica did not have the planned refit which would have seen cabins removed and her PC extended. I was on her twice last week and only a little work has been done inside - mainly refurbishing the Stena Plus lounge. The PC remains 410. Crew onboard said that the planned refit didn't take place and there are rumours that Stena have something else planned for the ship - she is too small in terms of PC for Rosslare and her lower capacity with narrow staircases and few toilet facilities was said to cause problems when sailings are busy.

On www.figura.com (Stena's design company), they state that they are designing a refurbishment for the Stena Europe and the Stena Lynx III to be done in early 2010. Presumably, the Europe will have this work done during her time off in January and would, probably, be staying at Rosslare this year anyway.(?)

Kieran

QuoteI have heard somewhere that there are concerns that the Stana Britanica may be too long to berth in Dublin port.

Is there space for Stena's pier to be extended?

On www.figura.com (Stena's design company), they state that they are designing a refurbishment for the Stena Europe and the Stena Lynx III to be done in early 2010. Presumably, the Europe will have this work done during her time off in January and would, probably, be staying at Rosslare this year anyway.(?)
That, or she is to be prepared for a new route. Sounds like there is a big redeployment from Stena on the Irish Sea...

Collision-course

There has been rumours circulating that suggest that Stena Line will operate a conventional ferry alongside the Stena Lynx III on the Dun Loaghaire - Holyhead service , the Stena Europe would certainly fit that job.

Hagar

Stena Baltica !
And why,  just because what she is today -after rebuild !
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/koningin_beatrix_1986.htm
take a look and think and count   ;)

Drama_king

Bring the Koningan back to the Irish waters say I! she is incredible.
I traveled on the Europe in Sept and have to say she is tired and not worth the re-fit but if they are going to get a good sale on her one day I suppose it's necessary.  In comparison to the Inishmore which of course I know is a younger and larger vessel, the Inishmore is still in my opinion the best- spacious and airy. I always enjoy the on board experience more, you can't beat the varanda decks at the stern and of course the sky lounge is stunning for the views.  ;)   I had a horrendous force 7-8 going over to Rossalre on the Europe and even I quite enjoy a swell on the sea but felt ill. Still,the Barfleur would be an ideal replacement, let's keep our fingers crossed people.  :)

giftgrub

As the Stena Europe has now returned from its annual refit, does anyone know what updates/changes were made to the ship, has it adopted the new Stena Line exterior grapics (ie the huge Stena Line lettering) or any major updates to the interior, did the C View bar get the overhaul it needed etc..

Stena_Rosslare

Stena Europe has received the large STENA LINE lettering which I think suits the ship.

giftgrub

If the link does not work, you can see a new picture of the Stena Europe on Marine Traffic.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?mmsi=235004539

A big thank you to John Boyce for posting the picture in the web

Collision-course

She looks well after a lick of paint , anyone know if much was done internally?

giftgrub

according to figura.com there was some internal refit work done, but no details

http://www.figura.com/Figura/news.html

New year and new expectations. 2010 has started as last year ended with a lot of work.

The refurbishment of Partille Local governement building phasae 2 is finished, see photos, and we are in the proicess of next phase.

Stena Hollandivca and Britannica will undergo major conversions and we are now following up Stena Hollandica with meetings with the yard.

For Stena Line UK have gotten new refit dwesign from us regarding Stena Lynx III and Stena Europe. Stena Navigator will be completed with decorations. Navigator has gotten fine press and has made impression with the "Scandinavian Design" theme onboard. Photos will follow.

The Stena Ropax newbuild in Wismar will soon be delivered, end of April.

Stena_Rosslare

I have yet to go onto Stena Europe since its return from dry dock but from what I have being told they done a good job on her in Belfast.

giftgrub

Another very good picture of the new look Stena Europe taken by Gordon Hislip. http://www.gordonhislip.com/pages/photo.html

Just booked a trip on this great ferry, though not travelling until the end of September 2010.