travel on HSS explorer

Started by Robbie74656, July 21, 2013, 08:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSS

Steven

Quote from: HSS on September 16, 2014, 09:26:25 PM
Quote from: KieranR on September 13, 2014, 11:03:00 PM
Hi All,
I am new to this site, but a long time reader and interest in ferries. I am keenly following the explorer and its future fate.

I honestly think the HSS will be in service next year and for the following reasons:

Firstly, I note that Stena have been asked on their Facebook page is the Explorer being cancelled for next year. The person does not want to make a booking and then be placed on a slower service. Stena responded in no uncertain terms, that the HSS is recommencing from the 25th March 2015. Why would Stena have decided on such a date for restarting the HSS if they had no intention to run it?

Secondly, we practically know for definate that Superfast X is coming to the Dublin/Holyhead route next year. Obviously, with the contract for its refit awarded Stena know what they are doing next year. Thus If Superfast X was (indirectly) replacing the HSS, wouldnt you think that the cancellation of the HSS be made known.

Finally, it is known that a deal with DL harbour is there for next year and of course the booking engine taking the bookings.

Of course, the HSS is not profitable and costs a lot. However the reason I imagine its there is to allow Stena keep its market share aganist Irish Ferries. The Nordica is often full so if the HSS didnt run, those passengers would go to IF. While having Superfast X instead of Nordica would remove this problem, Stena are left in the weaker position on the route with 4 daily services with no fastcraft compared to up to 6 with IF including fastcraft.

Thats just my musings on it anyway!

For what its worth, I think the Stena Explorer will still be here next year ;)
She'll possibly make one last trip to Belfast as well if she does indeed need a survey given we have the only yard with the capability (that I am aware of) of handling the HSS.  She may need the survey regardless of wether she operates next year or not.

On a slightly related note, HSS Stena Voyager is no more :(
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Stena explorer

Confirmation from stena  now that the hss explorer is certain to sail on  December 20,21,22,23, and 27,28,29,30 and 2,3,4,and5th of January ,that is of course weather permitting ,hopefully this christmas the weather will be a lot kinder  than last year which was storm after storm . So this does look like the explorers last hurrah ,and all her fans last chance to travel on her .

Davy Jones

Any news whether she will be having a check over at H&W?

Stena explorer

The explorer is due a dry docking in December , but I think they could delay it a few weeks , till January hence she can run in December without it, but if they are going to scrap her next year then will they even bother putting her into dry dock ,.

Davy Jones

That's what I'm thinking. If they do - and the time spent in there - could tell us a lot!

KieranR

Still nothing from Stena Line to indicate that it will not run next year. Bookings still being taken and people being told it will run etc.

HSS

Still waiting for an official announcement but hopefully she will still be here next year.........sure we will know soon.

Stena explorer

The hss has been canned  by stena  today. Not going to run at christmas  ,the end of the line ,should get some announcement later .

Normandy

Sadly it seems so, No ability to book the HSS over Christmas, remains in the Booking system for 2015.
I am surprised about the christmas period being cancelled, i was not expecting a 2015 season though. Seriously Sad!

ferryfan

Such a shame, glad I took the opportunity to make a trip across on her this year. Suppose the end had to come at some point.

Dublinport

seems strange for them to pull xmas and ny 4 weeks beforehand when it's been on sale for so long. unless there are problems with the vessel....

Davy Jones

Doesn't surprise me really, either they run with a limited capacity or pay to have the necessary service to the MES etc done. for a maximum of only 12 trips or so, it would be a very costly exercise, especially when there is not any profit margin to start with.

For the optimists amongst us, this may still not necessarily be the end. Lots of things may happen, particularly with regard to refit schedules and the possibility that Superfast X may not be ready on time. They could choose to run her if necessary at short notice with her limitation of 500 passengers or if the market seems favourable, dry-dock and re-certificate her at any time. As per my previous post Brent Crude is now knocking around the $75-80/barrel - that's 2009 prices so with full capacity it may not look that bad to run her.

ferryfan

It seems from marine traffice that Explorers AIS has been activated at Holyhead tonight?
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/232002562

Steven

Quote from: Davy Jones on November 21, 2014, 05:18:58 PM
Doesn't surprise me really, either they run with a limited capacity or pay to have the necessary service to the MES etc done. for a maximum of only 12 trips or so, it would be a very costly exercise, especially when there is not any profit margin to start with.

For the optimists amongst us, this may still not necessarily be the end. Lots of things may happen, particularly with regard to refit schedules and the possibility that Superfast X may not be ready on time. They could choose to run her if necessary at short notice with her limitation of 500 passengers or if the market seems favourable, dry-dock and re-certificate her at any time. As per my previous post Brent Crude is now knocking around the $75-80/barrel - that's 2009 prices so with full capacity it may not look that bad to run her.

You forget that she must also be dry docked early in the new year, at considerable cost (MES is not the only issue) just to remain in service.  Even at those prices, fuel cost is still an issue as well.  As for teething issues with Superfast X, Stena Nordica is not only available but cheaper to run and without the inconvenience of moving passengers and freight to Dun Laoghaire.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline