Julia lays down the law

Started by larry, September 12, 2011, 04:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry

just came across this pic thought i may as well share it, think it was taken in 84 after she collided with a frieghter

Collision-course

I read the details of that accident , cause of the collission was put down to dense fog , while the Olau Britannia (now Julia) spent 6 weeks in drydock being repaired , the Mont Louis sank not long after that picture was taken , over the summer I had the oppourtuntiy to talk with one of Juila's original crew from the ship's Olau days , this very accident was one of the things we talked about and in his opinion the Olau Britannia survived the accident because of "superior German engineering" , while my own opinion of Julia would'nt be so blunt , as someone very fimilar with ships of several types and classes , over the last 2 years I have come to know the MV Julia quite well (I am still holding out for a change of name) and in my opinion Julia is a well built , well engineered , well thought out design with excellent build quality and design stability , she is an all round superb vessel with the extra added bonus of having been owned by Color Line for many years and all the high grade maintainance and upkeep that goes with that fleet.
Whilst I like many of the current Irish Sea ships , I must confess to having developed a soft spot for Julia , she is definatly a ship with a distinctive character , I just hope going forward that the ships difficulties with the Port of Swansea can be overcome as I would like Julia to operate from Cork for many years to come , either way Julia has now joined a long list of historic ships to have operated from Cork and certainly the story of how the ship came to be in Cork is a unique one , as I said above I have never been too happy with the name Julia , personally I would love to see it as either the MV Innisfallen or the MV Munster , anyone else have a preferance for the name?

larry

i quite like the name julia, it's grown on me i must say, when i first heard it i thought to myself it really didnt suit a ferry with standard crossings and conditions, i thought it would be more suited to a cruise ship or something but over time ive really come to like it as a name, it gives the ship a bit of character and personality rather than stena europe or isle of innishmore or something

Kieran

Quotein his opinion the Olau Britannia survived the accident because of "superior German engineering" , while my own opinion of Julia would'nt be so blunt , as someone very fimilar with ships of several types and classes , over the last 2 years I have come to know the MV Julia quite well (I am still holding out for a change of name) and in my opinion Julia is a well built , well engineered , well thought out design with excellent build quality and design stability , she is an all round superb vessel with the extra added bonus of having been owned by Color Line for many years and all the high grade maintainance and upkeep that goes with that fleet.

Her hull being Ice Class A1 might also have helped  ;)