Swansea-Cork

Started by Kieran, February 10, 2008, 05:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derekchoochoo

Anyone know yet when she is coming back over - I guess it will be as late as possible, to give max dockyard time - Sunday night or even Monday daytime perhaps, although she will need time to store presumably?

Kieran

As far as I know she is departing Swansea late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

derekchoochoo

Sods law says the weather forecast is horrible for Sunday! 40 knot easterly gale expected on the Welsh side of S Irish Sea/St Georges Channel - still, I suppose at least that will be on her stern s'bord quarter - so not as bad as tramping into it - or they might choose to run for it tomorrow pm or after it's due to die down in early hours of Monday am??

Kieran

Looks like there has been a massive change of plan:

From Visit Swansea
QuoteThe first sailing of the new Swansea to Cork ferry service has been delayed slightly, due to technical difficulties
Fastnetline, operators of the new Swansea-Cork ferry service, have today released the following statement:

"We regret to advise that Fastnet Line's MV Julia sailings scheduled for Monday 1st, Wednesday 3rd and Thursday 4th March have been cancelled.

This delay in starting our service has been caused by technical difficulties in completing the refit works that have been taking place in Swansea Docks for the month of February."

All passengers who are booked on the cancelled sailings will be contacted by Fastnet Line today Friday February 26th and offered the option to book alternative dates of their choice.

Should they not wish to travel on alternative dates, passengers will receive a full refund of their fare.

Passengers impacted by this delay will be offered a 50% discount off their fare when they next book Fastnet Line."

As soon as I have more info, I will post it...

Higgins

derekchoochoo

Oh well, waited 3.5 years, so I guess a few more days won't matter too much! Rather half expected that announcement. That means 'maiden voyage' will be from the Swansea side then - next Friday night - so that sort of makes sense, saving the empty trip across.

Kieran

Local radio in Cork is claiming it is a licensing issue....not sure how true that is yet.

Collision-course

Well there had to be a glitch somewhere I suppose , things were running too smoothly ::)
I am told its nothing serious but the delay is a little dissappointing , but as Pugwash said after waiting this long another week wont hurt too much , just a pitty the first commercial sailing wont be from the Cork side.

a2engineers

Instead of a Celebration of a departure, we can have a double celebration of arrival and departure. The best place to be will be St. Colemans Cathedral in Cobh with eyes cast to Roches Point and beyond, such a sign of hope and joy, "the peoples ferry comming back".

What the guys behind this campgain have achieved in these very difficult times for business is nothing short of amazing. Well done to all and god bless all who sail on Julia!!

I note the competition adverts accross the bottom of the front page of the Examiner last Saturday!! Other operators are aware of the potential of this great service.

a2engineers

What a day, What a Saint, Born Cape Clear, West Cork!!!

Julia Sails St. Ciarans Day!!!

Ta Julia ag teacht abhaile La Naomh Ciaran!!

Collision-course

I note the competition adverts accross the bottom of the front page of the Examiner last Saturday!! Other operators are aware of the potential of this great service.

Yes I have noticed that Cork is awash with Stena Line adverts , but with the strong local support behind Fastnet Line they only amount to little more than extra revenue for the advertisers (besides most people hate the drive from Cork to Rosslare to boot)
The competition look worried  ;D

Kieran

QuoteFastnet Statement

CANCELLED SAILINGS

STATEMENT 26th February 2010

We regret to advise that Fastnet Line's MV Julia sailings scheduled for Monday 1st, Wednesday 3rd and Thursday 4th March have been cancelled. This delay in starting our service has been caused by technical difficulties in completing the refit works that have been taking place in Swansea during the month of February. These refit works are not connected in any way with the work carried out by Harris Pye in the dry dock.

All passengers who are booked on the cancelled sailings will be contacted by Fastnet Line today Friday February 26th and offered the option to book alternative dates of their choice. Should they not wish to travel on alternatives dates, passengers will receive a full refund of their fare.
Passengers impacted by this delay will be offered a 50% discount off their fare when they next book Fastnet Line.

Elsewhere Fastnet have said  "certification by the regulatory authorities" of certain "necessary works" was needed.

ccs

Good decision i think. Would have been worse to have started the service and then had to curtial or stop it next week.

a2engineers

Roll on St Ciarans Day!!!!

derekchoochoo

I see Harris Pye drydock have today, in the S Wales paper, washed their hands of the delay, so I guess the glitch must be in connection with recertification....the slightly worrying bit is it goes on to say "Friday is being looked at as an alternative for the maiden voyage"....not very positive sounding, but hey ho, who believes what local rag journalists write anyway? Lets hope we see her sailing in past Cobh early next Saturday morning!