Swansea-Cork

Started by Kieran, February 10, 2008, 05:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derekchoochoo

Looks daft at present, but possibly we are judging an unfinished item - perhaps the logo is going to be circled or something?

Is there some reason the funnel had to be repainted in white - a positive 'brand' colour looks far more striking (with logo colour coded to match)?

giftgrub

Given the condition of the paintwork on the funnel with the Stella Lines logo painted out, i suppose repainting the funnel bright white was a simple and effective solution and the ship does look a lot better for it.

As for the logo application, hopefully work in progress.

derekchoochoo

I see on BBC News online, Phil Jones (CEO) has said that Fastnet will operate 11 months of the year (refit January), as opposed to Superferry that only ran from March to October. Surely that's wrong....Superferry ran 10 months of the year, with no service in January or February...unless he is confusing 2006, when it packed up for good in October?

Slightly 'bending' facts me thinks?

He also says it has already carried double the original estimate - obviously helped by the airport closures. He wants to build up freight traffic for the winter months - difficult to get regular customers, I'd have thought, with only 3 weekly departures from each end, and a complete gap in January? Although the 10 hour trip is a great advantage for tachograph breaks.

ccs

took these shots earlier today. better than nothing i suppose and hopefully only a temporary measure.

t

QuoteHas anyone any idea when the New Swansea Illfracombe Ferry is due to commence operations.

I see no date on the website (severnlink) but I note that sea trials were carried out last week.

Severnlink have now announced the name for one of the ferries, "Rapparee"

facet58

TheJULIA was off Mumbles head today at 04.26. Low tide was around 08.00 why not dock?

Kieran

QuoteTheJULIA was off Mumbles head today at 04.26. Low tide was around 08.00 why not dock?

Ships usually do a lot of the crossing at a high-ish speed that is efficient, then cut power if they are very early.

facet58

Sorry did not explain myself.JULIA was still wandering around Swansea bay at 09.30 after leaving very early from cork.

Collision-course

The presence of a tug to assist Julia with docking in Ringaskiddy this morning hints that she may be having technical difficulties again.
I have heard through variuos sources that Julia's bow thrusters may be acting up , but this is unconfirmed , however the presence of tugs while docking do point to this.

derekchoochoo

I feel sorry for the passengers - off Mumbles Head at 0426 & still stooging around Swansea Bay 5 hours later at 0930, having left Ringaskiddy at 1930!

Julia had probs - and a delay in disembarkation - at Ringaskiddy last Thursday morning also. Shame just when things seemed to be settling down quite nicely.

I do hope Fastnet readress the fares structure shortly - we have various family groups visiting from the UK this summer - and they have all opted for Rosslare or fly/drive - giving the high Swansea/Cork fare+cabins as the reason.

facet58

I had family over to Swansea last week from Kilkee,Clare.
Was shocked to find out they also took the Rosslare option,saying it was cost driven. Do hope someone from Fastnet picks this up.

Collision-course

The numbers of Cork and Kerry based people opting to travel via Rosslare because Fastnet Line fare is very high when accomadation is factored in is quite alarming given that Fastnet Line needs all the buisness it can get.

a2engineers

We are travelling via the UK to France and Spain
(Near Girona) again this year.

Ex Cork 31 July 2100, Arr Swansea 0700
Ex Dover 1st August 1420 Arr Calais 1635
Arr Meaux (Not far Euro Disney) 2000

Cost (Irish Sea) Ex-Cork 576 Euro (Car 2 Ad & 2 Ch & 4 Berth Inside Cabin) and these are the most expensive crossings of the year.

To do the same via Rosslare requires the addition of the following,

a.
Drive to Rosslare early morning Departure 0530 to catch 0900 stena or 0845 IF Sailings and arr lunchtime, by the time I would be in Camarthen I would be relaxing on the Sea France Moliere.

Estimate time iof arrival Dover 1930, 2000 Sea France Berloiz (a little tight) arrive Calais 2215 arrive Meaux  0145.

Cost return 320 to 340 Euro Plus additional  Fuel and wear and tear.

b.
Drive to catch the evening sailings ex-Rosslare 2100
or 2045 arriving at 0030 or 0045.

With 2 Childern an overnight in a Hotel is now essential!! and is the additional fuel.

On our return journey once again its a choice of an easy overnight cruise or early departure from France to catch the afternoon ferries in West Wales or an overnight vigil.

That is why this family has chosen to travel with Fastnet Lines.

Why do posters in this forum NOT question the Belfast Liverpool Prices and the Dublin Liverpool and Birkenhead prices !!!!!!

Well done Fastnet Lines for giving us the choice.

derekchoochoo

I agree it is the MUCH nicer option - every time I personally would opt, out of choice, for the meal, drink, cabin, leisurely option.

But we all (or most of us) have to - at times at least - factor in the cost. And there is no getting away from the hard facts that Swansea/Cork is generally an expensive option. Especially for a large family who have to pay for seats or cabin berths for all their 'free fare' children.

It's not picking on Fastnet, honestly. It's a desperate hope that they will introduce some sensible special offers, before it's too late. As other posters have said there are an awful amount of people from the Cork/Kerry etc area (& vice versa) still travelling via Rosslare and (mostly) giving the seat/cabin 'surcharge' as the reason.