Swansea-Cork

Started by Kieran, February 10, 2008, 05:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kieran

Looks like Cork will only have the Pont-Aven this year. Two weeks ago the sale of Christian IV (for €16 million) fell through following the a delay in the deliver of her replacement to Colour Line.

So, any suggestions for a sutible replacement (aside from chartering back the Superferry!)???

memorykarl

QuoteLooks like Cork will only have the Pont-Aven this year. Two weeks ago the sale of Christian IV (for €16 million) fell through following the a delay in the deliver of her replacement to Colour Line.

So, any suggestions for a sutible replacement (aside from chartering back the Superferry!)???

A Possibility for next year could be the Pont-L'Abbe From Brittany Ferries, she should be a useless asset from October This year, decent berths and vehicle capacity for the route i would have thought.

Collision-course

How long has the Christian IV's replacement been delayed by?

Kieran

QuoteHow long has the Christian IV's replacement been delayed by?

Superspeed 2 is supposed to replace her in the "second half of June" according to the latest Colour Line press release, but I am open to correction. She is still a possibility from what I understand...

PS
Welcome to you both!

Collision-course

HHHmmm if she could be overhauled inside of 2 weeks it would be a contender for a july relaunch date , a little late in the season , but could forego overhaul until say next november (09) then it could possibly catch the full Christmas rush and I imagine the freight market the company is trying to break into would'nt be overly seasonal

Kieran

She could, but if her replacement is delayed further the cancelled bookings would probably put who ever buys her under. In reality you would want to be taking bookings now for a summer service...

Collision-course

Indeed , it is very late in the year to still not have a ship confirmed , looking more and more like a 2009 return to service , at this point in the game they would be better off buying the ship when it becomes available anyway and perhaps laying it up somewhere for a few months and possibly go for a Christmas relaunch

Kieran

Bad news for the route... Christian IV, according to FoNE to have been sold (Euro 13m) for service between Helsinki and St Petersburg starting THIS summer.

Collision-course

Hhhhmmmm , not looking good at all

Kieran

Just in case anyone was wondering, there is life in the Port of Cork, Captain Michael McCarthy said the following last week: "I am very frustrated - we have spent a considerable amount of time and money assisting with the negotiations on this vessel - and to have them fail at this late stage is very annoying. Unless the Cork-Kerry region really gets its act together suitable vessels like the Christian IV will again be lost to the region. It is imperative that a focus is established to re-establish the route."

Also, this site has been set up to campagin for the reestablishment of the service.

Kieran

The news on C103 yesterday morning mentioned that Cork County Council have placed aside a large amount of funding to help advertise any new operator.
They also said that the Council will not set up or buy any ship, like they did after the B&I pulled out of Cork, and apparently there are negotiations "ongoing" about another vessel (no mention of who is involved though).

Kieran

There were talks yesterday between the mayors of Cork city and county and the mayor of Kerry will hold roundtable talks with high ranking city and county officials from both counties, and with representatives of the South West Regional Authority, at Cork County Hall. No word yet on if any progress was made...

Kieran

Following the talks yesterday, the local authorities mentioned above have agreed to "have agreed to work together to restore the Cork to Swansea ferry link."

Kieran

Swansea-Cork was back in the news yesterday with a meeting between the Port of Cork and ABP Swansea. There are a number of people willing to invest in a ship (which the Port of Cork claims to have found) for the route...

Kieran

It has hit the examiner again

QuotePort chiefs to discuss ferry route re-opening
27 August 2008, Sean O'Riordan, Irish Examiner

AN important meeting is set to take place next month between the Port of  Cork and Associated British Ports aimed at getting the Swansea-Cork ferry up and running again.

Representatives from Associated British Ports, which has responsibility for Swansea port, are to visit Cork on September 8.

Captain Michael McCarthy, commercial manager for the Port of Cork, said both authorities would discuss providing a list of incentives for would-be operators on the Swansea-Cork route.

He also revealed that the parties were already in discussion with two Irish operators who have expressed interest in re-establishing the service.

The loss of the ferry is believed to have cost the south-west region an estimated €38 million in tourist revenue last year.

Cork County Council, Cork City Council and Kerry County Council have set up a working group, primarily aimed at galvanising political support for the reinstatement.

Captain McCarthy said work was already going on behind the scenes to source a second-hand vessel which would be capable of plying the route.

"Swansea Port has some limitations in regard to length and draught of a ship. A suitable vessel would also have to have the necessary stability to withstand weather in the Atlantic," he said.

Capt McCarthy said the reopening of the route should have happened last season, but was lost at the last minute.

He and his counterparts in Swansea are determined that this won't happen for the summer of 2009.

"I'm reasonably confident that we will have the route reopened for next season.

"Re-establishing a Cork- Swansea ferry link is one of the main priorities of the Port of Cork and we have been spending a considerable amount of time on this project," Capt McCarthy said.

Discussions are now entering a critical stage, as any operator would have to start marketing the route shortly.

"Potential customers would have to be informed in November or December, so they could make plans for their summer holidays," Capt McCarthy said.

He believes the time is right for the re-establishment of the route, as airline fares begin to rise.

"Airline travel is going to become more and more expensive. There has been an increase of between 10% and 15% in passengers using ferries on the Irish Sea in the past year. So I'm confident that the Swansea-Cork route is economically viable," the Port of Cork commercial manager said.

He added that the route would also prove very attractive to road hauliers, who are presently having to divert their cargoes through Rosslare and Dublin.

The talk of the Ports being involved in securing a ship is interesting, I have no idea what they have their eyes on...