Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosseric.coss

I also thought that the Epsilon was suppose to do some runs between Rosslare and UK but that seems to have changed now???

IFPete

Any further rumours on the Superfast Ferries being checked out by irish ferries.

I had a look on Youtube and there are a good few videos on Superfast II and Superfast III.

Ger Tigchelaar

Epsilon seems to be delayed at Rosslare this evening due a technical issue. Tomorrow mornings Dublin - Holyhead sailing @0155 hrs and 
Holyhead - Dublin sailing @0800 hrs are cancelled.

Collision-course

Quote from: IFPete on January 22, 2015, 11:01:43 AM
Any further rumours on the Superfast Ferries being checked out by irish ferries.

I had a look on Youtube and there are a good few videos on Superfast II and Superfast III.

None , but Irish Ferries are expected to announce something before the end of Q2 , so I'd say whatever they are going to do is at final consideration stage.

Ger Tigchelaar

Epsilon finally departed Rosslare at 7 am this morning with an ETA into Dublin @11.30 am

ferryfan

Swift is on her way back from Cammell Lairds resumes sailing on Friday, Epsilon is next for annual inspection (not sure where though) with Inishmore heading back south and Oscar Wilde taking up Epsilons duties for the duration. 

IFPete

Epsilon needs a plate replaced due to collision with Mooring in Dublin last Summer.

The owners and i assume Insurance company gave the green light for this work before Christmas,

Steven

Quote from: Collision-course on January 27, 2015, 01:00:50 AM
Quote from: IFPete on January 22, 2015, 11:01:43 AM

None , but Irish Ferries are expected to announce something before the end of Q2 , so I'd say whatever they are going to do is at final consideration stage.

As I said to Niall on Facebook either,  I'm not sure why ICG would be interested in what are essentially a variation on the Visentini theme with less freight capacity than Epsilon (SF I and II). Yes they have a higher pax certificate but are still a very poor relation to the big U and the upcoming Stena Superfast X.  They ARE sisters to the former Coraggio which operated for Stena and GNV (Now with DFDS as Athena Seaways), and Regina Seaways/Victoria Seaways amongst others (a total of 8 where built in the series), and a different breed to the original Superfast series.  I understand they DO have more in the way of passenger facilities than Epsilon, but still don't seem a great fit to me given they are designed for overnight service and would surely require a lot of work (as Stena have with their "true" Superfasts) to convert for day operations in the longer term.  Of course, I could be proved completely wrong!  It will be interesting to see how ICG react regardless.

There is no current Superfast III.  The last ship to carry that name has sailed for TT-Line Tasmania since 2002.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

Superfast I and II are quoted as having the following specs.

Passenger Capacity   Trailers  Speed (kn)  Length (m)  Breadth (m)  Decks
950                           170          24            199             25                8
                                2295 Lane Metres

But looking at the videos and photos they look considerably smaller freightwise to Epsilon 2860 lane metres and underpowered for North Atlantic operation on Rosslare Pembroke and Rosslare Cherbourg.

I guess if they were purchased they would need to be rebuilt to increase freight capacity and add additional passenger comfort.

I wonder were Superfast XI and XII the real point of the visit. They have twice the power of Superfast I and II and considerably more overround capacity. They would make a mean pair on a Rosslare - Cherbourg Daily Shuttle Route.

Passenger Capacity   Trailers      Speed (kn)  Length (m)  Breadth (m)  Decks
1640                           120 Plus    31.25            199.9             25        10
                                  100 cars

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on January 30, 2015, 10:18:08 AM
Superfast I and II are quoted as having the following specs.

Passenger Capacity   Trailers  Speed (kn)  Length (m)  Breadth (m)  Decks
950                           170          24            199             25                8
                                2295 Lane Metres

But looking at the videos and photos they look considerably smaller freightwise to Epsilon 2860 lane metres and underpowered for North Atlantic operation on Rosslare Pembroke and Rosslare Cherbourg.

I guess if they were purchased they would need to be rebuilt to increase freight capacity and add additional passenger comfort.

I wonder were Superfast XI and XII the real point of the visit. They have twice the power of Superfast I and II and considerably more overround capacity. They would make a mean pair on a Rosslare - Cherbourg Daily Shuttle Route.

Passenger Capacity   Trailers      Speed (kn)  Length (m)  Breadth (m)  Decks
1640                           120 Plus    31.25            199.9             25        10
                                  100 cars
I'd love to know where the traffic was coming from for that one!

One of Superfast I or II might work well on the France route and would overcome the pax capacity issue with running Epsilon on that link.  Likewise at Pembroke I suppose, freeing up IoI.  Wouldn't exactly be a luxurious passenger experience but probably sufficient.

Collision-course

When I first heard the Superfast rumor I did wonder if it was Superfast XI and XII they were referring to as these would be a better fit on Irish Ferries services , Personally I think unless there is a spectacularly good deal out there on something fairly young that Irish Ferries will go for a new build for Dublin - Holyhead, even if for no other reason than to have a high value asset on its books for accounting reasons , I'd say this season is make or break for Oscar Wilde , while I'd say its likely something secondhand could appear to replace OW , they may yet stun us all with a new build there also , a lot will rest on how much of the ECB's QE credit goes into industrial capital investment.

IFPete

The issue they face with new builds is a two to three year time lage.

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on February 03, 2015, 07:29:41 PM
The issue they face with new builds in a two to three year time lage.
That and the price of a new build, as well as  the lack of capacity at yards capable of building large vessels.  Loch Seaforth, which is tiny by central corridor standards (less than 9000 gt) cost £42m and was based on an existing design.  For that type of money in the current market you could have a good second hand Visentini for example, or even a decent sized ex Baltic ferry.  At present (in Europe at least) an order today would not be delivered until 2018 or after, and thats if the design is complete.  Even the far east yards are very busy, with container ship orders - container ships from the 90's are already hitting the beach and need to be replaced by something after all.  The problem is that the current owners are holding on to the good ships as replacing them with new is just too costly.

Normandy

Is the Isle of Inishmore delayed coming back from dry dock i thought it was due back end of January for Oscar Wilde to cover Epsilon for refit and then her own and be back on Ireland -France for end of February seems impossible in this time frame. Any info?