Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cullyburn

Maybe I've missed something, but the 'Ferry Site' shows that ('Cartour') Epsilon is owned and operated by IF. ???

giftgrub

Quote from: cullyburn on February 25, 2014, 07:56:06 PM
Maybe I've missed something, but the 'Ferry Site' shows that ('Cartour') Epsilon is owned and operated by IF. ???

There has been no announcement that they have purchased the Epsilon from Cartour, would have thought as a PLC this would be essential, possibly a mistake. AIS is now Epsilon as well.

Collision-course

Indeed as a PLC they would have to formally announce a purchase that big , no mention of it in ICG's corporate announcements .

Steven

Quote from: cullyburn on February 25, 2014, 07:56:06 PM
Wouldn't be the first time ferry site got something slightly wrong though.  For example they still list Stena Mersey as being owned by Epic shipping, they have the passenger capacity at the pre refit levels and the vehicle deck lm is wrong as well.  Its one of the reasons research for my website is taking so long as I want to make sure I get the correct information which relies on waiting for replies or searching through publications rather than taking other websites at face value. 

I agree that ICG would have to announce it, as they did here with Oscar Wilde http://otp.investis.com/clients/uk/icg/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=500&newsid=317259

Didnt realise she cost THAT much!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Collision-course

When Irish Ferries bought Oscar Wilde the ferry market was very different , there were waiting lists at yards for new tonnage and in the secondhand market you all but had to take whatever was available , and as very few ships were available prices even on older tonnage was quite high , secondhand ships are selling at a fraction of 2007 prices at the moment.

Steven

Quote from: Collision-course on February 26, 2014, 06:17:51 AM
When Irish Ferries bought Oscar Wilde the ferry market was very different , there were waiting lists at yards for new tonnage and in the secondhand market you all but had to take whatever was available , and as very few ships were available prices even on older tonnage was quite high , secondhand ships are selling at a fraction of 2007 prices at the moment.

It was 7 years ago as well I suppose.  Just seems such a large figure these days! Konigin Beatrix/Stena Baltica went for a fraction of that figure for example.   Mind you, its still significantly less than Pegasus, or spirit of Britain, etc!

giftgrub

Some nice images of the Epsilon have been posted on Marinetraffic.com

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/photos/of/ships/photo_keywords:9539054/ship_name:EPSILON

Some paintwork damage in the area where the MES system comes down.

cosseric.coss

does anyone on here know where I could see how the MES works on the Vinsentini ships.

P.S. I posted on this before that I am fed up of the visintini ships, well actually to be honest, I'm not anymore, I actually like them now.

giftgrub

Scroll through the pictures on attached link, click right to see MES in action

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/12768492183/

Thanks to Scott Mackey for posting these images on his Flickr site.

cosseric.coss

thanks giftgrub, well spotted.

Can i just ask you what is the thing on the side of these ships thats like a huge door on the hull, as seen in the pic you posted above of  Epsilon and what does it do?

Thanks

FerryMan

Quote from: Oscar Wilde on March 07, 2014, 05:55:13 PM
Can i just ask you what is the thing on the side of these ships thats like a huge door on the hull, as seen in the pic you posted above of  Epsilon and what does it do?
They are retaining lines for the MES rafts, you can see them on the picture of the Stena Lagan.
Ferry Master

Steven

Quote from: Oscar Wilde on March 07, 2014, 05:40:16 PM
does anyone on here know where I could see how the MES works on the Vinsentini ships.

P.S. I posted on this before that I am fed up of the visintini ships, well actually to be honest, I'm not anymore, I actually like them now.

They had that affect on me as well, though in a way it was the only way i travelled by ferry for long enough so I didn't have much choice!

giftgrub

ICG PLC - Irish Ferries results are good.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/rothwell-mulls-icg-sail-away-from-irish-stock-exchange-30075080.html

near the end

Rothwell described ICG's recent investment in an extra ship, Epsilon, as a "major vote of confidence in the Irish economy". "We haven't bought a ship since 2011," he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/irish-ferries-owner-irish-continental-group-steers-route-to-higher-profits-1.1715658

http://otp.investis.com/clients/uk/icg/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=500&newsid=396941

OPERATING REVIEW

FERRIES DIVISION
The Ferries division employs five owned multipurpose ferries, four of which are operating on routes to and from the Republic of Ireland and one chartered out and operating in New Zealand. In addition to the owned fleet the Division also charters in one further vessel as part of its operations. In 2013, 4,381 sailings were operated by Irish Ferries, carrying passengers, passenger vehicles and RoRo freight.

Revenue in the division was 1.1% higher than the previous year at €161.7 million while operating profit (before non-trading items) was €24.9 million compared with €22.4 million in 2012. The increase in profit was due principally to increased freight revenue and lower bunker (fuel) costs partially offset by reduced passenger revenue. Fuel cost in the division was down €3.5 million (8.9%) to €35.8 million. Revenue in the first half of the year was flat at €69.4 million (2012: €69.5 million), while the second half saw an increase of 2.0%, to €92.3 million (2012: €90.5 million).

Passenger
Given the weak economic backdrop in our main markets, which affects consumers' propensity to travel, Irish Ferries' car carryings remained resilient during the year, at 350,900 cars, (2012: 353,800), down slightly (0.8%) on the previous year. This is broadly in line with the overall market performance into and out of the Republic of Ireland, which we estimate to have been flat year on year. Irish Ferries' passenger numbers carried were up 1.6% at 1.568 million (2012: 1.544 million). In the first half of the year, our passenger volumes were up by 0.3% and car volumes were down by 4.2%. In the second half of the year, which is seasonally more significant, the growth in passenger numbers was 2.6% while cars carried were up by 1.6% compared with the same period last year. During 2013 sterling was weaker than in the previous year which provided a headwind in our passenger segment.

Our business benefited from the start of a recovery in demand in the British market for Ireland's Tourism product where overall visitor numbers grew slightly following four years of serious decline. Britain continues to provide the largest proportion of passenger traffic for Irish Ferries amongst all of the countries where we source income and the continuation of Ireland's attractiveness in that market is critical to our future growth.

Freight
The Republic of Ireland's RoRo market returned to growth with a 3% increase in overall market carryings during the first half of the year followed by a 6% increase in the second half, to provide full year growth of 4%. This is a welcome sign of Ireland's return to improved economic health.

Irish Ferries' carryings, at 205,300 freight units (2012: 183,700), were up 11.8% in the year reflecting a strong performance by Irish Ferries relative to the market (volumes were up 7.9% in the first half and 15.7% in the second half).

The improvement in the RoRo markets informed our decision in the final quarter of 2013 to augment our capacity on the Dublin / Holyhead route whilst also commencing a new service between Dublin and Cherbourg. The chartered vessel Epsilon will provide a major improvement in our frequency on Dublin / Holyhead which we believe will restore some lost competitive advantage. With the vessel's superior freight deck and the number of cabins on board (70), we will also provide a once weekly service to France which will provide additional capacity to our customers throughout the year - much of which we are unable to provide because of the freight deck limitations of the cruise ferry Oscar Wilde (which is a more passenger-oriented vessel). It will also broaden our tourist offering by providing an economy style service to France complementing the Oscar Wilde.

This investment in both the Dublin / Holyhead and Dublin / Cherbourg routes will increase the Ferries' Division cost base but the initiative is targeted to become profitable within a short number of years

Charter
The MV Kaitaki remained on charter during the year, trading in New Zealand. The charter to P&O terminated on 30 June 2013 following which a new charter commenced, on 1 July 2013, to KiwiRail. The new charter is for a period of 4 years with an option for the charterer to extend the agreement by a further 3 years, out to 2020. The Princess Anastasia (formerly 'Bilbao') remained on bareboat hire purchase charter to St. Peter Line. Under the terms of the charter party, (forming part of the hire purchase sale agreement), title to the vessel will transfer to the charterers, on payment of the remaining instalments due under the agreement.

CURRENT TRADING & OUTLOOK
In the year to date the unprecedented adverse weather has resulted in a significant number of cancelled sailings (16% of budgeted sailings) which has resulted in some loss of discretionary passenger business and a disruption to freight business. However the additional capacity provided by the Epsilon has helped to counter the effect of the lost sailings. Car carryings, year to date, are flat, while RoRo freight volumes are up approximately 18%. Total passengers carried are down 4%. On the Ireland / France route a new competitor has entered the market with effect from January 2014, with a once weekly sailing. Container freight volumes are flat year to date, while container throughput at our terminals is up 2.5%.

The improved economic backdrop which we have experienced over the last 12 months looks likely to continue through 2014. However the impact on our business during 2013 has been mixed with the sea passenger market remaining flat while there has been a return to growth in the freight market. We would expect the continued improving outlook to have a positive impact on both strands of our business, passenger and freight, and, with our additional vessel capacity in place, we are well positioned to capitalise on this improved economic environment.

Steven

So she IS still on charter, despite Mr Rothwell's best efforts to make us think otherwise:

From the Irish Times article

QuoteThe charter of the 70-cabin Epsilon , which mostly services the Dublin-Holyhead route, was prompted by the improved economic outlook, according to ICG.

And from the review (from the comments in the link above the bit posted)

QuoteThe improving economic outlook in Ireland has encouraged us in our recently announced investment in the charter of an additional vessel, the Epsilon, which has been trading since mid December.

Almost 12% gain in roro freight and 10% in lolo has to be a good sign!

LiverpoolIrishLiam

It's great to see that Irish Ferries is growing year on year.

With regards to Epsilon, why did IF buy such a small vessel? I understand they needed to 'test out' the service and see if any additional freight units would use the service, but now that they know they will in big numbers, isn't it time to get rid of Epsilon and invest in a bigger and more suitable ship, one that could carry freight and passengers?

IF are alienating their foot passenger market by not allowing them to use Epsilon. As a foot passenger who regularly travels to Ireland using IF, the early morning departure times of Epsilon at 01:55 from Dublin and at 8am from Holyhead do better suit me when travelling and I think it's a bit unfair that we cannot choose to sail on her.