Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry

sure were yeah, served side by side here in rosslare for a few years too

Collision-course

Not only did both operate from Rosslare , but they both worked for Stena Line at one time .on this page you will find pictures of Stena Europe and Stena Normandy see if you can spot the difference http://www.irish-ferries-enthusiasts.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1236730733/15#15
Below from www.shipspotting.com , both sisters at Rosslare.

larry

true, some great pics of it, also cant remember which one but there's footagè of one of them taking part in the rescue of passengers from the fire onboard that norweigan ferry, can't remember the name but the footage is filmed from the deck beside the funnel

Caoimhin_McGuinnes

:D there nice ships although i hate the shape of the funnel ! Bit tall in my opinon .. theres only 1 diffrence ! the normandy has got rust on it and the europe in this picture doesnt ! heha

larry

there'll never be a funnel as terrible as the Pontiac l'abbe or whatever that hideous thing is called, its the height of the ship itself, I can only assume the did that to allow extending the vessel upward if future needs dictated

Caoimhin_McGuinnes

Quotethere'll never be a funnel as terrible as the Pontiac l'abbe or whatever that hideous thing is called, its the height of the ship itself, I can only assume the did that to allow extending the vessel upward if future needs dictated

I will have to look her up and see if i agree with you !  8-) ;D ;D

larry

sorry that should have read pont not Pontiac , stupid spell check

giftgrub

Going way off topic here people "Irish Ferries Fleet Movements" but this is the ship Larry is thinking about.

http://www.ferry-site.dk/ferry.php?id=7615414&lang=en

Very good article comparing the Europe and Normandy here:

http://www.hhvferry.com/rosslare07_1.html

larry

thats the very one, i think she was pont l'abbe or something for another company. Excellent article there, now back to the topic, appologies for misdirecting it

loughro

Anyone know why Ulysses has been delayed for just over an hour this morning leaving Dublin?

FerryMan

Ulysses was delayed leaving Holyhead on the 02.40hrs crossing due to a power outage with the linkspan. Ulysses had to wait for the tide to drop so she could slip out from under the linkspan. She did not depart Holyhead until 04.09hrs, with the knock on affect she sailed from Dublin late, but was back on time for the 14.10hrs crossing.
Ferry Master

Steven

QuoteNot only did both operate from Rosslare , but they both worked for Stena Line at one time .on this page you will find pictures of Stena Europe and Stena Normandy see if you can spot the difference http://www.irish-ferries-enthusiasts.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1236730733/15#15
Below from www.shipspotting.com , both sisters at Rosslare.
Great pic btw  :)
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Caoimhin_McGuinnes

I know alot of ferry companys are reducing speed etc on journeys etc but i find this strange ..

Most of the time ive been on Irish ferries Ulysses .. there has been a foreign captain on .. he usually cruises in around 19knots/18knots .. one other time there was an english captain and he did full speed .. 22knots .. there was a new irish captain ( i only presume he was new as it was the first time i heard his voice, i have ever heard of the voice speaking before setting setting sail  .. he also did full speed .. 22knots .. why would this be ?? are the captains suppost to reduce speed or do some just keep her at it at full speed ??

hope it doesnt sound like a stupid question !

Thanks

Steven

Could be to do with timekeeping but if having to overcome strong winds or rough seas this would slow the ship down too I guess.  Was crossing time similar?
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Caoimhin_McGuinnes

well it is a lorry drivers bonus to get to holyhead ontime at the scheduled time 0020 but shes slowly getting slightly later recently! but other nights when the captain is running her from 21knots to 22knots shes bang on time

and yeahh i do agree it may be slowing down because of the wind but i cant be windy everytime im on her on the 2055 sailing ! lol or the 0240 from holyhead