Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFPete

I some how suspect Irish Ferries will lease out a ferry to Brittany Ferries to meet British Goverments Agreements regarding Brexit,

While Oscar Wilde is available she does not have the freight capacity to meet the requirements.

I would not be surprised if Isle of Inishmore or Epsilon goes on charter to Brittany Ferries with Oscar Wilde taking over Rosslare - Pembroke run for the summer.

alfie79

Quote from: IFPete on March 08, 2019, 10:36:29 AM
I some how suspect Irish Ferries will lease out a ferry to Brittany Ferries to meet British Goverments Agreements regarding Brexit,

While Oscar Wilde is available she does not have the freight capacity to meet the requirements.

I would not be surprised if Isle of Inishmore or Epsilon goes on charter to Brittany Ferries with Oscar Wilde taking over Rosslare - Pembroke run for the summer.

god i dont know about that the inishmore is perfect for ross-prembroke she is the workhorse of IF never given any problems
where the OW has struggled on that run plus the double ramps in both ports would be a waste
IF would be crazy to get rid of her and i dont think they will,
the OW is the only ship that will go this year they they are getting rid of ships
she is overnight vessel after all

SEA

Food for thought, Aer lingus are now in a very similar situation to what Irish ferries were, they have delayed  the Launch of new routes to Canada because there are delays to the arrival of new Aircraft .........

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/aer-lingus-push-back-launch-of-new-canada-route-908774.html

IFPete

Thats exactly the reason why Irish Ferries have taken this to the high court,

Taking Oscar Wilde out of service to france adds to the drama and puts fuel on the fire.

Steven

Quote from: LongTimeReader on March 07, 2019, 10:42:22 PM
Quote from: ferryfan on March 07, 2019, 11:37:30 AM

Legal Challenge to the National Transport Authority interpretation of the EU Regulation no 1177/2010

While I firmly believe that IF have nothing but contempt for passengers, I have read their argument and the NTA's decision and think that IF have a good argument which could be successful in a court.

It isnt a good argument. It just sounds convincing. The NTA are seeking payment of compensation to passengers who could not travel from, or to, the port of their original booking. EU law for sea or air passenger transport looks at this the same way.

Regardless of when the cancellation occurred you're still entitled to the price of switching terminals. For example, if your flight to Edinburgh is cancelled and the airline offers you a ticket to Glasgow, they also must pay for you to get to Edinburgh. Doesnt matter if your flight is cancelled two years in advance or two days.

THIS IS A TEST CASE.

It would mean anytime a technical problem arises and some traffic was diverted to Rosslare or Dublin instead of loading them onto the Stena ferry, compenstation will be due. Think of all the Ulysses cancellations this year alone.
Technical issues aren't always covered by the legislation and the compensation depends on the delay - it could be as little as a sandwich and a bottle of water (or nothing at all).  If a carrier cancels your crossing then why shouldn't they have to at least ensure you have some form of sustenance?  If you are left stranded in a port should the carrier who left you there not have to do something about it?  The legislation is designed to stop operators taking risks such as that taken by ICG in the first place!  Take away that disincentive and we could have all sorts of things going on such as tickets going on sale for routes with little chance of starting for example.

Putting tickets on sale for a ferry that doesn't exist then saying it isn't your fault when she isn't delivered within the incredibly tight timescale is a little different to a minor technical issue.  It is also worth bearing in mind ICG got compensation from the yard because of the delay and could have used that to fund passenger compensation rather than improving their balance sheet.  As for planning to run a service from Rosslare prior to the ruling, they said it was "unlikely" well before the NTA announced their decision.

Quote from: IFPete on March 07, 2019, 05:28:43 PM
As things stand they did not do badly with Euro 60 Milliom in profit. A lot companies would love to be in their situation.

It seams however strange to kill the cash cow that summer traffic on Oscar Wilde would generate.

The court case could be over in May in any case and people tend to book closer to the time nowadays.   
Just as well they had the profit from the sale of Dublin Swift to shore up their finances then (almost a quarter of that profit figure)!  The year before they had the sale of Kaitaki.  Next year it will likely be the profit from the sale of Oscar Wilde, but they are running out of assets to sell off to inflate their profits!  Dublin Swift will probably leave in 2020 meaning that come 2021 there will only be Inishmore left to sell as the two newbuilds will still be getting paid for! 

Operating profit (pre-tax) for the ferries division was actually €34.2m, down from €49.1m in 2017 meaning the ferries division only made 47min total pre-tax versus €73.1m in 2017.  Despite what they say about fuel costs (an actual increase of about €4.5m) operating costs in the ferries division actually went down in 2018.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

pdnr777

Totally agree that the Inishmore is the right fit for the Pembroke to Rosslare route. I use the route quite a lot especially the overnight/early morning sailing out of Pembroke. I have had varied experiences on sailing on this route, feels like every time i travel that the ship is running late but IF do nothing about informing its customers about delays until you get to the port. I have travelled on the Oscar Wilde on the route but even know it's not a bad ship, it is outdated and not the right fit for the route; more delays with loading the ship at both ends of the route. It seems as though that IF don't really want cars on the overnight ferry in order to take more freight. If they do decide to charter out Inishmore to another company, the way it is going I feel that IF don't want to operate out of Rosslare anymore and to concentrate on operations out of Dublin Port which

jgf

Oscar Wilde is running this morning but was cancelled most of yesterday and is also cancelled tonight. It should be busy with Cheltenham goers today.

IFPete

Quote from: jgf on March 11, 2019, 10:45:43 AM
Oscar Wilde is running this morning but was cancelled most of yesterday and is also cancelled tonight. It should be busy with Cheltenham goers today.

Over the weekend we had strong winds blowing from the west, no wonder Rosslare - Pembroke sailings were at risk.

There are storms blowing through every couple of days.

jgf

Quote from: IFPete on March 11, 2019, 07:14:35 PM
Quote from: jgf on March 11, 2019, 10:45:43 AM

Over the weekend we had strong winds blowing from the west, no wonder Rosslare - Pembroke sailings were at risk.

There are storms blowing through every couple of days.

yes its going to be lively over the next few days

ferryfan

Big switch day on Thursday, Swift scheduled to return to service (hope the breeze dies down)
Epsilon and WB Yeats to swap routes and IOI due back in Rosslare no word yet where the OW will be heading.

IFPete

Rumour has it IOI is staying in Drydock until Saturday.

giftgrub

Inishmore has left Birkenhead, currently on way to Rosslare.

Oscar Wilde will go to H&W Belfast for drydock

Steven

Oscar is expected in Belfast early next week. 

Inishmore must have had some issues - she was a month in DD! 
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

DaveW1946

Poor old Oscar looks doomed to wander round and round in circles on the Irish Sea, like the Marie Celeste. At least that's what today's track looks like.

Trucker

Inishmore departed Rosslare this morning 10.22 and returned after 2 hours due to stabilizer issues according to Captain Burns.
Rolled a nice bit In heavy seas before turning back to Rosslare.
We will asess any damage before access to the vehicle decks was the next announcement.
No damage thankfully, and we all drove off to await the 20.45 departure tonight, which went on time.
My trailer went direct to France this afternoon, and I went home, happily.