Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaddyL

I've heard comments that the issue is that the Ulysses has damaged some of the support on her berth and that's why she has had to cancel a few times in the most extreme conditions.

IFPete

The issue Ulysses and other ferries have at holyhead has is related to the direction of the wind and the Berth.

While Ulysses has three forward Thrust unts sometimes she needs a tug to assist her onto the berth.

Unfortunately Oscar Wilde stuggles in bad weather berthing due to lack of adequet Thruster Power hence her cancelations
over the Christmas on the Holyhead route, She is a great ship but not every ship will work succesfully in the port of Holyhead.

If Terminal 4 Berth were introduced this would solve this problem in extream weather conditions,

ferryfan

In a presentation last Friday ICG confirm that following the arrival of the WB Yeats, there will be a summer only fast craft service, they further say that it is still to be decided which craft (Swift or Westpac) will be operating the service, Westpac Express having 20% more capacity than the Swift i.e 100 extra passengers and 51 extra cars.
The presentation also showed that there was a surprising increase in passenger traffic from the UK despite poor sterling value and Brexit ,
here is the link
http://www.icg.ie/documents/2018/icg_company_presentation_05_january_2018.pdf

IFPete

The withdrawal of the swift service is likely to lead to negative customer reaction. A lot of people use the service
as it is only two hours compared to 3.5 hour cruise ferry service.

Aer Lingus suffered the same reaction over taking out Shannon London Heathrouw operation to free up slots for Belfast in the past and had to reverse the decision.

I note Oscar Wilde will be kept in warm lay-up during the winter months unless a winter leasse is secured for her in Florida or Mediteranian.

PaddyL

Quote from: IFPete on January 09, 2018, 02:35:48 PM
The withdrawal of the swift service is likely to lead to negative customer reaction. A lot of people use the service

Aer Lingus suffered the same reaction over taking out Shannon London Heathrouw operation to free up slots for Belfast in the past and had to reverse the decision.

I note Oscar Wilde will be kept in warm lay-up during the winter months unless a winter leasse is secured for her in Florida or Mediteranian.

There isn't going to be a winter charter in the Med as that's very much low season there too.

Davy Jones

- or she could be made available for short term lease to other companies to cover refits etc.

NathanBrady

Quote from: IFPete on January 09, 2018, 02:35:48 PM

It's not like der is a competing ferry for them to go on though.  Like when Stena took off the HSS a lot of people will moan a bit then get on the normal ferry anyway

IFPete

Same problem in Shannon, a lot of people complained and CEO almost lost his job,

Swift numbers justify operation 9 months a year provided the weather holds up,

SEA

All,
Nothing official yet I Heard today from a reliable source the Jonathan Swift is Sold

ferryfan

Quote from: SEA on January 19, 2018, 08:34:52 AM
All,
Nothing official yet I Heard today from a reliable source the Jonathan Swift is Sold

Swift is off for dry dock tomorrow. Any sale of craft has to be announced to shareholders and will appear on icg.com as soon as it is done.

ferryfan

Swift arrived at Cammell Laird this morning and Superfast vii went into dry dock at H&W.

pdnr777

Anybody know what is going on with the sailings of Oscar Wilde on the Rosslare-Pembroke route; either major delays or cancellations

giftgrub

Oscar Wilde and Stena Europe have had a lot of delays on the Southern corridor since the New Year, would imagine it has been a perfect storm of the wind coming from the wrong direction affecting berthing in either Rosslare or Fishguard / Pembroke. The weather has not been particularly bad on shore but the winds at sea seem to have led to a lot of cancellations.

Of course we do not know if both ferries have technical issues which could exacerbate the problems they are having.

In the meantime Inishmore seems to be taking an extended time in drydock and as mentioned in above post J Swift has now arrived in Liverpool, link below to images of Swift arriving in Liverpool

https://www.flickr.com/photos/das_boot_160/25924170738/

Just in case we have forgotten what the Inishmore looks like, some great images of its arrival in Liverpool/ Birkenhead.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/das_boot_160/38625149505/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/das_boot_160/39490808242/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/das_boot_160/24653266417/in/photostream/

jgf

Oscar Wilde cancelled this morning ex Rosslare will sale tonight as per schedule. 

Ulysses still not left Holyhead @ 16.30 sailing update says 'Due to a Technical problem the Ulysses is still on the Berth in Holyhead. More information to follow.'

jgf

'Due to technical problems the Ulysses sailed from Holyhead at 19.45 and is due in Dublin at 23.00'

will have a bit of time to make up. what happened I wonder?