Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

SEA

Ulysses still stuck in Dublin 11.52 am tech problems shore side I heard

Collision-course

Quote from: SEA on March 02, 2016, 11:53:53 AM

Wow , dont think I can recall Ulysses ever missing a sailing for any reason.

loch garman

Quote from: SEA on March 02, 2016, 11:53:53 AM

Lovely paint job!!

Collision-course

Quote from: giftgrub on March 01, 2016, 10:46:57 PM
Quote from: LiverpoolIrishLiam on March 01, 2016, 10:27:29 PM
Someone has posted on the 'Ferries and Ships of the Irish Sea & Beyond' Facebook group, that the Jonathan Swift will be leaving Irish Ferries in September. She will apparently be going to Balleria in Ibiza on a full time charter.

Does anybody know if this is true?

Apparently Swift and Epsilon to be replaced by former Superfast VI the Bimini Superfast in Sept according to that Facebook thread, as a PLC would be amazed at IF letting this info sneak out ahead of any announcement, while it us possible would have thought unlikely As Superfast VI is a long distance ferry with way too many Berths and huge passenger capacity for the central corridor. Also would be replacing a fuel miser in the Epsilon with a fuel hungry Superfast.

Irish Ferries did look at other Superfast ships , but the ones they looked at were newer and had less overnight space than Superfast VI , realistically the only way I could see IF buying that ship is if they got it at a really knocked down price and plan to extensively modify it , I did also hear a story that Swift is to go on charter in the Med sometime in September and the reason given was that for an aluminium catamaran Swift is considered old and expensive to maintain , but as others have said I would be very surprised if this info was leaked through Facebook ahead of an official announcement , and Swift is profitable so if it was going to the Med the charter price would have to be high and fastcraft are not getting good rates on the charter market at the moment as demand for them has fallen sharply in recent years.

Fast Ferry Fan

Quote from: Collision-course on March 02, 2016, 09:17:07 PM

My recollection is that even IF will only claim it has never missed a sailing due to weather.

And even then, it's not to say it hasn't been very behind schedule.

ferryfan

Epsilon left Holyhead at 0900 this morning got as far as the North Burford bouy at about 1230 and has circled around the outer bay all afternoon and just now at 1600 making her way into the port and it appears (from looking at ais) that she is being brought in under tow as the two port tugs Shackelton and Beaufort are along side her.
Can anybody shine any light on whats going on with her
Did she leave Holyhead empty? and Why did she not berth on arrival?

RorieLen

More than likely a technical problem if you ask me, especially if she was being assisted by tugs.

Collision-course

Problems with steering gear by all accounts.

NathanBrady

I heard a wee story about Ulysees from my IF pal, might explain her problems.  He also said Epsilon had to be helped on to the south bank by 2 tugs as her steering gear had failed, like collision course said.
Quote from: Fast Ferry Fan on March 02, 2016, 10:43:33 PM
Quote from: Collision-course on March 02, 2016, 09:17:07 PM

My recollection is that even IF will only claim it has never missed a sailing due to weather.

And even then, it's not to say it hasn't been very behind schedule.

It's a rather creative claim.  How late does a sailing have to be before is is considered cancelled or missed?  It's a bit like the largest car ferry in the world thing - by most measures Ulysees isn't, but the public are misled as they assume it means she's the biggest physically.  If what my pal said is true, the problem is definitely more technical in nature than related to the weather today.

PaddyL

Quote from: giftgrub on March 01, 2016, 10:46:57 PM
Quote from: LiverpoolIrishLiam on March 01, 2016, 10:27:29 PM
Someone has posted on the 'Ferries and Ships of the Irish Sea & Beyond' Facebook group, that the Jonathan Swift will be leaving Irish Ferries in September. She will apparently be going to Balleria in Ibiza on a full time charter.

Does anybody know if this is true?

Apparently Swift and Epsilon to be replaced by former Superfast VI the Bimini Superfast in Sept according to that Facebook thread, as a PLC would be amazed at IF letting this info sneak out ahead of any announcement, while it us possible would have thought unlikely As Superfast VI is a long distance ferry with way too many Berths and huge passenger capacity for the central corridor. Also would be replacing a fuel miser in the Epsilon with a fuel hungry Superfast.

Definitely untrue - reported that Grimaldi are taking the Bimini Superfast.

Agree with our comments in this thread about that said Facebook group.  Full of poor quality news, debate and sometimes downright nasty comment. Makes me ashamed to be Irish.

Steven

Also hearing Grimaldi have taken Bimini Superfast/Superfast VI.  Sounds to me like this was one of those rumours that started out as "X ship is available, why don't ICG take it" which has snowballed.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

NathanBrady

Epsilon still at her second home - the south bank!  She hasn't been very lucky in her time here

IFPete

My understanding was that Gotland might replace epsilon year round and Swift in Winter on Dublin Holyhead. She has the capacity and the speed to perform the service well when she is displaced by a new build at destination Gotland.

NathanBrady

Quote from: IFPete on March 05, 2016, 02:58:16 PM
My understanding was that Gotland might replace epsilon year round and Swift in Winter on Dublin Holyhead. She has the capacity and the speed to perform the service well when she is displaced by a new build at destination Gotland.
What, the whole island???  Bit extreme don't you think!!!!