Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEA

A friend of mine traveled from Cherbourg  on the Epsilon on Sunday , His car and many others are write offs. ship still not sailing big clean up operation

Davy Jones

Presumably the ferry company's insurance covers such an event?

PaddyL

Quote from: ferryfan on February 10, 2016, 11:24:46 AM
PaddyL you obviously have a difficulty understanding the difference between a question and an accusation, look them up free dictionary online

How about another word - "insinuation"?

Things obviously didn't go to plan, but we must assume that all decisions were taken with the best of intentions.

NathanBrady

Quote from: ferryfan on February 09, 2016, 11:22:34 PM
I asked the question which is just a question and in case there is any confusion read this BBC article mentioning the cancellations of channel services due to the storm
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35516407

I ain't no warrior!

I didn't realise that shipping companies used BBC news articles to base their decisions on!  Surely they'd have access to accurate weather reports? 

loch garman

i wonder had they any new cars aboard?? what a mess. Nuts.

ferryfan

She was due to do a Dublin-Rosslare run on Monday afternoon and I think that is usually to offload new motors.
Translated article from todays ouest-france.fr
Party Cherbourg Sunday for Dublin, a ship of Irish Ferries was caught in the storm. Christophe Désilles, Rennes, 43, tells his galley 44 hours.

Christophe Désilles will long remember his crossing between Cherbourg and Dublin, on board the Epsilon. A cargo-passenger ship mixed 186 meters of Irish Ferries. He had "the fear of his life" . Embedded Sunday at 17 pm, Port Nord-Cotentin, for a trip with his girlfriend in Ireland, this Rennais 43 years came across the Channel with more than a day late, shocked and without vehicle.

The crossing, meant to be complete in 18 hours, lasted ... close to 44 hours for the hundreds of passengers on board. "The ferry sailed when the weather is bad and announced that other ships were sheltered bay Cotentin. Within hours, we were caught in a violent storm. "

The commander decided to take shelter in a bay north of the southwestern tip of England. "But he lost control. We were heckled in every way, in a constant din. We did not sleep, " says the forties before deplore the absence of crew information.

"We thought the finish against the rocks"

With winds at 150 km / h and a blocked horizon, pitching succeeded to roll. "The ferry sometimes bent at 45 degrees! " The Rennais also tells passengers screaming when a lorry broke away and crossed the bridge. " We all had the feeling of being lost. Moored a few kilometers from Bideford, north Cornwall, it was believed finish against the rocks. We expected to see happen tugs or helicopter. "

Arrived safely, "after a chaotic night" yesterday afternoon Christophe Désilles refused to disembark with twenty other passengers. Around 18 pm, the group was still kicking his heels on the ship. "We were denied access to our vehicles destroyed in the hold. We just wanted to see the damage for our insurance. We formed a group and we are ready to prosecute endangerment of others. " Several people were slightly injured.

Irish Ferries why she kept the departure despite calls for caution Maritime Prefecture of the Channel-North Sea? Contacted last night, the direction of the Irish company did not respond to our calls.

HSS

Maybe Epsilon could have stayed with Stena Flavia around Exmouth Bay?

steven_shaw

Quote from: PaddyL on February 10, 2016, 10:28:16 AM
I asked the question which is just a question and in case there is any confusion read this BBC article mentioning the cancellations of channel services due to the storm

I ain't no warrior!

Let's be clear.

Basically there was an accusation made that two Masters (specific real people) were unprofessional.

I don't know if you guys are Doctors, Lawyers, call centre workers, plumbers, salesmen, teachers, whatever - but how would you like your professional judgement to be questioned in public by people who aren't in your profession.

These guys are all professionals who make judgement calls based on the information they had, they would never deliberately put their ship in danger.

Having been the total mess on board the ships car deck how can you call the 2 masters of the ship professionals

They should at the very least be sacked immediately as put the ship in very great danger anyone with half a brain can see that

Totally disgraceful actions

PaddyL

Quote from: ste898 on February 11, 2016, 12:10:13 AM
Quote from: PaddyL on February 10, 2016, 10:28:16 AM

I ain't no warrior!

Let's be clear.

Basically there was an accusation made that two Masters (specific real people) were unprofessional.

I don't know if you guys are Doctors, Lawyers, call centre workers, plumbers, salesmen, teachers, whatever - but how would you like your professional judgement to be questioned in public by people who aren't in your profession.

These guys are all professionals who make judgement calls based on the information they had, they would never deliberately put their ship in danger.

Having been the total mess on board the ships car deck how can you call the 2 masters of the ship professionals

They should at the very least be sacked immediately as put the ship in very great danger anyone with half a brain can see that

To the best of my knowledge there was no damage on the Stena Flavia so I have no clue why you are including her in this discussion.

As for the Epsilon, it is wrong of us to speculate about something we know nothing of the bridge decisions about.  For sure. if the Master did act carelessly, his employer's internal inquiry and disciplinary decision will take care of it.   I do stress the "if" as until we know otherwise we must assume he acted in good faith.

I really find it appalling that in society today we are happy to call for people to be sacked based on only limited knowledge of facts.  Clearly we'd be happy to see ourselves discussed on an internet forum due to a problem at work.

Kieran

Quote from: ste898 on February 11, 2016, 12:10:13 AM

MOD Warning: That's for ICG and the MCIB to decide after a full investigation, not anonymous forum members. Some of this is verging close to defamatory comments, if the thread continues to on that path, I will suspend users accounts. The forums have always been somewhere people have been able to discuss issues, but within reason. Keep in mind Irish Ferries staff and crews read the boards also.

SEA

Kieran
thanks for your intervention and fully agreed ...I don't post much nor do I work on the ships but I ask everyone to please consider the crew members including Masters and officers on board who are without doubt traumatized and shocked over what happened thank God there was no fatalities injuries. definitely not for us to judge or cast dispersion's about anyone 
Sea .

TC

I don't want to get involved or launch theories, but I am wondering 'How well chained down / secured was the cargo?' Like many of the forum members, I have been on many rough crossings, both with P&O, Stena Line, and Irish Ferries, but I have never seen such a mess.

I recall once being on Liverpool Viking (Liverpool Seaways) and the ship was rolling so bad, the crew couldn't walk, and the beverages behind the barman all came crashing to the ground. Fortunately the barman just dived out of the way in time and the purser investigated and had to help him to his feet. He was very lucky.

However, back to my point, the trailers and lorries are secured down with chains, this is designed to stop them turning over, or listing. I see it all the time on P&O. So even in bad weather, which the latter nearly always ventures out in, and did on the day of Epsilons incident, there are no problems. I understand Norbay had to take shelter for a time, but went on to Dublin with no hitches.

Stena Flavia also didn't experience this level of damage and she is a half sister ship, following a similar route.

I don't want to speculate, but I am wondering how well secured the cargo was?

However I would also like to point out, Irish Ferries are a good company, with experienced crews and staff.

Kieran

Quote from: TC on February 11, 2016, 02:50:54 PM
I don't want to speculate, but I am wondering how well secured the cargo was?

I'm sure the MCIB and ICG will be looking into that...