Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanBrady

Probably before she goes back to her owners

FerryMan

Quote from: conor on February 04, 2016, 09:29:04 PM
Any ideas if and when the epsilon will be in dry dock and where.

I see Epsilon is not on the online booking system for 10 days in April. Last crossing Holyhead to Dublin at 08:00 9th April & first crossing 19th April Dublin  to Holyhead at 01:55. she is not doing a Cherbourg crossing both weekends.

Any idea where she is heading?
Ferry Master

Steven

Oscar Wilde is currently tied up at the Outfitting Quay, Harland and Wolff.  She will enter the building dock on Monday.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

NathanBrady

Quote from: HSS on February 08, 2016, 07:17:13 PM
Epsilon makes the news...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/passengers-stranded-as-dublin-bound-ferry-forced-to-take-shelter-off-british-coast-719611.html
Surely the 1000's of other people affected by the weather is more headline worthy than 100 people who are pretty safe (but probably uncomfortable).  I guess those 100 people also have access to heating, electricity, food, etc as well.

Davy Jones

Epsilon almost back to Dublin. She was making nearly 25kts all the way up the Irish Coast.

ferryfan

I cannot understand what made the masters of either Epsilon or Stena Flavia take their vessels out in such bad weather, the forecasts were accurate and warnings were in place well in advance. Maybe pressure from management was an issue? I'd say there are several very disgruntled passengers disembarking this morning along with passengers and freight drivers who were left stranded in Dublin and Holyhead because of her (Epsilon) missed crossings.

Steven

Quote from: ferryfan on February 09, 2016, 11:27:14 AM
I cannot understand what made the masters of either Epsilon or Stena Flavia take their vessels out in such bad weather, the forecasts were accurate and warnings were in place well in advance. Maybe pressure from management was an issue? I'd say there are several very disgruntled passengers disembarking this morning along with passengers and freight drivers who were left stranded in Dublin and Holyhead because of her (Epsilon) missed crossings.
As I've said elsewhere, staying at Cherbourg probably wasn't an option.  Given Bretagne couldn't get in to Cherbourg either, I'd imagine conditions at Cherbourg were not safe for a large ship to be tied up in the harbour.  Tying a large ship to a huge slab of concrete really isn't a good idea in those types of conditions.  Getting out of the harbour and to shelter was probably the best option at the time.  Whether the correct judgements were made or not none of us can really answer, as we don't know what data was available or what advice was given.  It also wouldn't be the first time a weather report proved to be inaccurate.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

PaddyL

Quote from: Steven on February 09, 2016, 07:30:55 PM
As I've said elsewhere, staying at Cherbourg probably wasn't an option.  Given Bretagne couldn't get in to Cherbourg either, I'd imagine conditions at Cherbourg were not safe for a large ship to be tied up in the harbour.  Tying a large ship to a huge slab of concrete really isn't a good idea in those types of conditions.  Getting out of the harbour and to shelter was probably the best option at the time.  Whether the correct judgements were made or not none of us can really answer, as we don't know what data was available or what advice was given.  It also wouldn't be the first time a weather report proved to be inaccurate.

The weather reports were not consistent and I think it is rather disingenuous for some armchair enthusiasts to cast aspersions on the judgement of the Masters of these two vessels.  No Master would put his vessel in danger...comfort may be compromised if the customers require, as they would on the Sunday France - Ireland sailing but to suggest unprofessionalism is easy for keyboard warriors.

giftgrub

Oscar Wilde appears to have moved into the building dock at H&W, cant wait to see some images from the usual suspects of the Oscar high and dry in Belfast.

steven_shaw

Quote from: PaddyL on February 09, 2016, 08:53:00 PM
Quote from: Steven on February 09, 2016, 07:30:55 PM

The weather reports were not consistent and I think it is rather disingenuous for some armchair enthusiasts to cast aspersions on the judgement of the Masters of these two vessels.  No Master would put his vessel in danger...comfort may be compromised if the customers require, as they would on the Sunday France - Ireland sailing but to suggest unprofessionalism is easy for keyboard warriors.

PaddyL where have you been the weather was forecast days before so you are totally wrong in saying weather reports were not consistent

I also think pressure from management will be a huge factor

Steven's post is exactly right and you are way way of the mark......

ferryfan

I asked the question which is just a question and in case there is any confusion read this BBC article mentioning the cancellations of channel services due to the storm
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35516407

I ain't no warrior!

PaddyL

Quote from: ferryfan on February 09, 2016, 11:22:34 PM
I asked the question which is just a question and in case there is any confusion read this BBC article mentioning the cancellations of channel services due to the storm

I ain't no warrior!

Let's be clear.

Basically there was an accusation made that two Masters (specific real people) were unprofessional.

I don't know if you guys are Doctors, Lawyers, call centre workers, plumbers, salesmen, teachers, whatever - but how would you like your professional judgement to be questioned in public by people who aren't in your profession.

These guys are all professionals who make judgement calls based on the information they had, they would never deliberately put their ship in danger.

NathanBrady

Quote from: PaddyL on February 10, 2016, 10:28:16 AM
Quote from: ferryfan on February 09, 2016, 11:22:34 PM

I ain't no warrior!

Let's be clear.

Basically there was an accusation made that two Masters (specific real people) were unprofessional.

I don't know if you guys are Doctors, Lawyers, call centre workers, plumbers, salesmen, teachers, whatever - but how would you like your professional judgement to be questioned in public by people who aren't in your profession.

These guys are all professionals who make judgement calls based on the information they had, they would never deliberately put their ship in danger.
Exactly.

ferryfan

PaddyL you obviously have a difficulty understanding the difference between a question and an accusation, look them up free dictionary online