Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwt.nsf

Quote from: TC on January 04, 2016, 12:57:16 AM
Its interesting alright. I would never rule out a P&O Ferries - Irish Ferries merger. I don't know what the competition authorities would do, probably block it. However it would give both operators access to routes in both in the North and South, and through 'landbridge' Irish Ferries would have access to P&O North Sea, and P&O Short Sea. Additionally P&O would have access to Irish Ferries Ireland to France operations. - It would be an interesting alliance, certainly strengthen both companies. As in the airline industry you have Skyteam, and Oneworld. Could this model be employed in the ferry sector?

Interesting you say that because in the mid 1990s, both P&O and Irish Ferries effectively marketed each others Irish Sea routes, with P&O dedicating a section of their brochures to the Holyhead-Dublin and Pembroke-Rosslare routes and Irish Ferries doing the same with the Cairnryan-Larne route. It was through this I learnt about the existence of Irish Ferries and their fleet.

giftgrub

Ulysses has arrived in Falmouth for drydocking.

IFPete

I suspect the reason for Oscar Wildes problems on short sea routes in rough weather is due to her lack of adequate thruster capacity for manouvering in rough weather in difficult places like Holyhead due to winds and Milford Haven due to tides.

Remember she was designed for operation in the relative calm of the baltic.

Her reliability on the France rough is never questioned.

It was noticable that on one night last week even the Uylsses was not able to Dock in Holyhead until 0430 AM

IFPete

I understand Swift and IOI are going to Birkenhead for their Dry Docking this year.

There appears to be little going on in terms of future fleet movement due to Christmas and New Year, however dont be surprised if another ferry with plenty of cabin accomodation and freight capacity shows up before the summer. Remember France hosts the European Championships and there are two irish teams playing in them for the first time and a lot of people wanting to bring there cars and minivans to France.

The time table shows Epsilon going back to its owners in Mid November 2016.

TC

I'd say Irish Ferries have something lined up.

HSS

Quote from: IFPete on January 07, 2016, 03:10:06 PM
I understand Swift and IOI are going to Birkenhead for their Dry Docking this year.

There appears to be little going on in terms of future fleet movement due to Christmas and New Year, however dont be surprised if another ferry with plenty of cabin accomodation and freight capacity shows up before the summer. Remember France hosts the European Championships and there are two irish teams playing in them for the first time and a lot of people wanting to bring there cars and minivans to France.

Any idea which ferry will show up?

IFPete

My guess is something from Greece or Italy but we will have to wait and see.

I believe longer term plans will be released when a blueprint for a new build is finalised whenever that happens. When the Ulysses was ordered a lot of planning went into the design and build before it went public,

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on January 07, 2016, 03:10:06 PM

I have heard that Cartour want her back (I assume to replace the vessel chartered in from Grimaldi) so IF are unable to renew in any case.  That would tally with the reports I read from Italy a few months ago as well.  With the joint service with TTT and the sale of Trinacria and Partenope, things have changed a lot since the charter was agreed with ICG.

Regarding replacement tonnage, its a matter of waiting and seeing.  However there is a bit of a shortage of available tonnage at present, due in no small part to the number of ships that have reached the end of their economically viable lives and the lack of new-builds in recent years.

Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Davy Jones

Mmm, Wonder what Nordica would look like in IF Colours?

(Not that I'm really being serious, but could it be a possibility)?

mrhilo1

Quote from: Davy Jones on January 10, 2016, 05:11:31 PM
Mmm, Wonder what Nordica would look like in IF Colours?

(Not that I'm really being serious, but could it be a possibility)?

Probably rather like Oscar Wilde ;-)  (i.e would keep blue hull!)

mrwt.nsf

Would Stena Line allow that, given the rivalry on the Central Corridor?

Davy Jones

Well, it would be a nice consistant income if they haven't any other immediate use for her. It would also depend of course on how quick Cartour want their boat back. Stena would probably view Nordica as inferior to Superfast X anyway but by most accounts, she has better facilities than Epsilon. She is also well proven on the route, although probably more expensive to operate.

Actually, I'll continue this on the discussion board: Ambassador/Nordica/Malo: Where next?

dan1985

The Ulysses was meant to resume duties today but has been delayed at dry dock by an extra few days looks due to the tragic accident regarding the lift engineer so the Inishmore is currently scheduled to remain on the route until Mondays 14:10  being delayed itself to dry dock. Swift is off service from Monday so on Monday Inishmore is on her own on service with Epsillon on the French service. Heared a lot of good reports regarding the Inishmore how well kept she is a credit to her crew. Really like the Inishmore myself.

Chris2016

I might Chance another trip on the Inishmore on Monday So , I travelled on the Inishmore on the 07/01/16 Dublin - Holiday , This ship is well maintained in great condition very comfortable . It took a very heavy on the 07/01/16 because the swift was cancelled again surprise there . I hope the inishmore returns to Dublin this year . It is a great cruise ship .