Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanBrady

Quote from: IFPete on March 21, 2016, 03:03:53 PM
The Stena Superfast X sailings attract good loads.
Aye, even better loads in them two weeks!

ferryfan

Epsilon not sailiong to Cherbourg this weekend due to forecast poor weather (lessons learned?) Swift also cancelled with delays for Inishmore and Stena Horizons return from Cherbourg on Sunday.

ferryfan

Has anybody heard where Epsilon will be going for her drydocking?

RorieLen

I think somebody said Falmouth but I could be wrong?

ferryfan

Former Bimini SUperfast in dry dock at Besiktas Shipyard just a stones throw from HSS Explorer.

NathanBrady

What's up wit Epsilon?  Heard she had trouble docking at Holyhead tonight

Steven

Seems the Swift to Balearia rumour refuses to go away

(google translation, spanish link at the bottom)
QuoteA few days ago, did not know position so fleet that has Baleària, with ferries moored as the "Poet" and waiting for the incorporation of the Ship "Dénia Ciutat Creative" we are now seeing, with the latest opening of new routes Baleària, of the need to incorporate new units.
On May 31, is scheduled the first test of the new route between Valencia and Mostaganem in Algeria and everything looks to be the "Bahama Mama" in charge of covering the new service, the "Poet" is a daytime ferry and uncomfortable when journeys exceed four hours, perhaps another possibility for this line could be the "Nissos Chios"
To all this we must add the intention by Baleària, settling in Almeria, where so far, Trasmediterránea, has operated very quietly, which has the hours counted if Baleària finally comes to compete on the route Nador, which for the moment, there is no confirmation by the Dianense shipping company, like the Naviera Armas Canaria, which itself has already build in the Almeria port and also the possibility of the Italian Grandi Navi Veloci (GNV).
The Almeria-Nador route is one that has greater acceptance and movement of passenger and cargo lines from the mainland north of South Africa and the cake will have many more servings.
Baleària boat intended that this new option Almeria to Nador ?, if you skip the "Bahama" Strait for the Valencia-Mostaganem, the "Poet" It sure is relieved, but which reinforces the "Passio" during the OPE.
The "Creative Dénia Ciutat" "ex-Scandola" Ports IB is requested to perform primarily the direct route Barcelona-Ciutadella, with a stopover in Alcudia, for the summer, then in theory Barcelona Ibiza.
Besides all this, I am clear that the "Avemar Dos" will leave the Caribbean, probably once the OPE and where I think Baleària you may already have the substitute searched for September, which is none other than the well Austal "Jonathan Swift "but I have not confirmed it.
Interesting, very interesting the summer season is presented with new openings of several routes by Baleària, Weapons and to the Italian (CNG) can be encouraged to undertake new projects, the strange remains that in Baleares not between a third operator, this if it is rare, with the brutal provisions that exist for this year.
http://ferrybalear.blogspot.co.uk

To be fair to this blog they usually call things correctly, though they do stress that this hasn't been confirmed.  Read into it what you will, but with IF having done nothing that indicates the rumours Epsilon will not be getting her charter extended are untrue, it may be a good opportunity to freshen up the fleet a little with a single ship designed to do the job of two.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

One rumour before Christmas was that swift had been sold and IF had sourced a large ferry capable of travelling to Holyhead in 2 hours 30 minutes.

After that there was no further mention of it.

Collision-course

Quote from: IFPete on April 06, 2016, 10:36:55 PM
One rumour before Christmas was that swift had been sold and IF had sourced a large ferry capable of travelling to Holyhead in 2 hours 30 minutes.

That ship is widely believed to be the MV Gotland , they supposedly have first refusal on MV Visby also , none of this is confirmed but seems to be turning up a lot on several channels now.

Steven

Quote from: Collision-course on April 07, 2016, 12:47:50 AM
Quote from: IFPete on April 06, 2016, 10:36:55 PM

That ship is widely believed to be the MV Gotland , they supposedly have first refusal on MV Visby also , none of this is confirmed but seems to be turning up a lot on several channels now.
Rederi AB Gotland's new builds won't be completed until 2017/8 though which would leave them with a bit of a problem surely.  1600lm also seems a bit small, especially by modern standards and compared to Epsilon.  Never mind when you add on Swifts vehicle capacity.  Regarding the operating speed of the Gotland vessel, Stena could easily counter that move by running Stena Superfast X at 27/28kts meaning neither operator is going to gain any advantage (but both will have their costs increase greatly). NWe'll see.

Collision-course

I could see one of the Gotland pair being used on Rosslare - Pembroke with Isle of Innishmore moving north to Dublin , not sure how the other one would fit as a replacement for Oscar Wilde though.

IFPete

The intent was to replace the swift with a reliable fast craft that could take 1200  passengers , cars , vans and buses and the odd lorry in most sea conditons,

There was no mention of the ship replacing Oscar Wilde.

1600 lane metres is a bit short if it has to displace Epsilon on Holyhead route as well.

ferryfan

Epsilon off to Falmouth for her dry dock due there tomorrow afternoon.

Steven

Quote from: Collision-course on April 07, 2016, 07:44:34 PM
I could see one of the Gotland pair being used on Rosslare - Pembroke with Isle of Innishmore moving north to Dublin
That would make more sense to me as well - could her length pose a problem at Pembroke though?
Anyway, we are moving away from fleet movements and into speculation land again :).

EDIT:  I've created a new Irish Ferries fleet discussion/rumour/speculation thread in the discussion section here http://www.irish-ferries-enthusiasts.com/forum/index.php/topic,1549.0.html