Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normandy

While what happen was bad, for all involved. It must be remembered that it was the Master and crew who still got the vessel safely to Dublin.

As we are all aware investigations will be underway by the relevant authorities and we should avoid speculation as we are not in possession of any facts.

TC as regards your question as regards lashing, the requirements would be outlined within the vessels Cargo securing manual and this would have been approved by the Inspections by flag state and classification Society.

Collision-course

I suspect weather forecasting will be at the heart of the investigation to come , no company on the Irish Sea or even the EU at large will operate in weather that puts the vessel , its crew , its passengers and freight at risk , I believe the storm in question accelerated off the Irish Coast and was moving much faster than expected in the shipping lanes , every company had ships at sea that day and all had to run for cover at short notice , that in itself suggests that no-one expected conditions to deteriorate as fast as they did , Epsilon suffered damage to her cargo , its rare these days but does happen within the industry , believe me their situation could have become far worse given the severity of the weather they encountered , other vessels on the day while not suffering much or any damage did suddenly find themselves in very dangerous situations , the reason there were not multiple disasters that day is down to the very high level of safety training that goes on within the industry these days.
From what I can see this is going to become an issue of accuracy of weather forecasts.

PaddyL

Quote from: Kieran on February 11, 2016, 12:19:50 PM
Quote from: ste898 on February 11, 2016, 12:10:13 AM
Having been the total mess on board the ships car deck how can you call the 2 masters of the ship professionals

They should at the very least be sacked immediately as put the ship in very great danger anyone with half a brain can see that

Totally disgraceful actions

MOD Warning: That's for ICG and the MCIB to decide after a full investigation, not anonymous forum members. Some of this is verging close to defamatory comments, if the thread continues to on that path, I will suspend users accounts. The forums have always been somewhere people have been able to discuss issues, but within reason. Keep in mind Irish Ferries staff and crews read the boards also.

Thank you Moderator for this common sense post which I agree entirely with.

ferryfan

IRHA President Verona Murphy is calling on Irish Ferries to accept liability for the damage caused  to trucks on board the ferry at the time of the incident.
"We are appreciative in this instance that there is no loss of life given the stories reported from  drivers and passengers. Unfortunately some drivers have vowed never to board a ship again which  will ultimately serve to increase the driver shortage we already face as it may mean leaving their  employment," Mrs Murphy said.

ferryfan

Quick update Epsilon not allowed to sail by authorities at Holyhead tonight after a crack was discovered on one of the lifeboats. A spokeperson for IF stated that they hoped to have the lifeboat repaired overnight following this the port authorities will carry out another inspection and make a decision on whether the ship can sail.
The MCIB will not be carrying out any investigation into the incident as the ship is registered in Italy and it is the responsibiity of the Italian authorities to carry out such enquiries.

IFPete

Epsilon sailing from Holyhead at 2000 pm cancelled.

Steven

More on the cancellation due to the cracked lifeboat

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0211/767303-irish-ferries/

Hopefully the media won't sensationalise this given she has been in service since the storm (assuming thats when the crack happened) - not good for the industry as a whole.  Guessing Stena will be extra busy tonight!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

NathanBrady

I wonder why Epsilon was not allowed to sail with a reduced passenger capacity in line with the capacity of the damaged lifeboat?  It wouldn't be the first time a ship was allowed to sail with such a restriction!

giftgrub

RorieLen

I too have noted the Oscar Wilde in the huge building dock at Harland and Wolff, Belfast. Isn't it great to see the yard getting plenty of work? Does anyone know when she is leaving?

ferryfan

Swift docked at terminal 3 Holyhead this morning instead of Salt Island with Ulysses doing circles outside the port waiting for Swift to depart.
Anybody know whats happening at Holyhead this morning.

ac_freeman

Quote from: RorieLen on February 19, 2016, 08:58:18 AM
I too have noted the Oscar Wilde in the huge building dock at Harland and Wolff, Belfast. Isn't it great to see the yard getting plenty of work? Does anyone know when she is leaving?

I know that she will be staying there longer than originally planned as the sailing on the 24th has been cancelled due to "technical reasons"......thought it was a bit risky choosing the first sailing after planned refit, have been rebooked for the following week with a free cabin upgrade...nice gesture from IF.

dan1985

Oscar Wilde was originally due to dry dock Falmouth but had to provide Rosslare Pembroke route cover for longer than expected so lost her slot at Falmouth due to Ulysses tragic lift incident in Falmouth which saw Ulysses remain in dry dock for a substantial longer period meaning the Inishmore had to remain on Holyhead service longer which in turn saw Oscar Wilde remain on Rosslare Pembroke until Isle of Inshmore arrived back from its own Holyhead cover duties and its dry docking later than planned. Inishmore is the vessel that had the shortest dry dock.

Ulysses Falmouth
Inishmore & Swift Birkenhead
Oscar Wilde H&W Belfast.

Epsilon think goes for a refit two weeks in spring at some point.

PaddyL

Quote from: dan1985 on February 20, 2016, 05:15:33 PM
Oscar Wilde was originally due to dry dock Falmouth but had to provide Rosslare Pembroke route cover for longer than expected so lost her slot at Falmouth due to Ulysses tragic lift incident in Falmouth which saw Ulysses remain in dry dock for a substantial longer period meaning the Inishmore had to remain on Holyhead service longer which in turn saw Oscar Wilde remain on Rosslare Pembroke until Isle of Inshmore arrived back from its own Holyhead cover duties and its dry docking later than planned. Inishmore is the vessel that had the shortest dry dock.

Ulysses Falmouth
Inishmore & Swift Birkenhead
Oscar Wilde H&W Belfast.

Epsilon think goes for a refit two weeks in spring at some point.

No. The Falmouth issue was reported as being due to Condor Liberation's drydock over-running.

ac_freeman

All of Oscar Wilde's sailings up until February 28th are cancelled - presumably she will sail direct to Cherbourg from Belfast to pick up the schedule from Cherbourg on March 1st.