Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFPete

The recent rumours i have heard are as follows,

Superfast XI and Superfast XII are still very much of interest to Irish Ferries.

I do not know if an LOI was signed for them yet but i would imagine it has if they really want them.

Irish Ferries are keen to establish a year round service to Cherbourg possibly with two ships offering a daily service to support the irish freight community.

Isle of Inishmore could be moving permanently back to Dublin in November if a suitable replacement vessel for Rosslare Pembroke can be found. She was designed for the route, has plenty of cabins,  so very little work would be needed although the addition of a cinema would be helpful.

Epsilons current charter is to November 2015 with an option to extend.

I have not heard anything about Oscar Wildes future although it could be used for Pembroke - Rosslare for winter 2015/2016 and operate Rosslare - Roscoff or Rosslare - Brest - Spain in the longer term.

PaddyL

Quote from: IFPete on June 25, 2015, 03:01:47 PM
The recent rumours i have heard are as follows,

Superfast XI and Superfast XII are still very much of interest to Irish Ferries.

I do not know if an LOI was signed for them yet but i would imagine it has if they really want them.

Irish Ferries are keen to establish a year round service to Cherbourg possibly with two ships offering a daily service to support the irish freight community.

Isle of Inishmore could be moving permanently back to Dublin in November if a suitable replacement vessel for Rosslare Pembroke can be found. She was designed for the route, has plenty of cabins,  so very little work would be needed although the addition of a cinema would be helpful.

Epsilons current charter is to November 2015 with an option to extend.

I have not heard anything about Oscar Wildes future although it could be used for Pembroke - Rosslare for winter 2015/2016 and operate Rosslare - Roscoff or Rosslare - Brest - Spain in the longer term.

Given age of Oscar Wilde would the two Superfasts not replace the Oscar Wilde and Epsilon?

Inishmore could replace Swift and Epsilon on Holyhead.

Only leaves Pembroke requiring a ship, no idea what that could be..

IFPete

I believe the Swift is safe for now

Oscar Wilde has had some money spent on her and could be used to go to Brest and Spain without the expense of Marine Gas Oil because this route is west of the Low Sulphur zone.

Her accomodation is good for family with cars and can handle 90 trailers plus 100 cars despite her age.

The Superfast Twins if they come would be easier to add scrubber or other technology too and have much greater freight capacity.

At 25 knots they could reduce the journey time to Cherbourg allowing 2100 PM departure from Rosslare ideal for freight with late morning arrival into Cherbourg.

They would not need too much work done on them for this route unless IF want to convert them to two level drive through.

PaddyL

Quote from: IFPete on June 25, 2015, 06:37:33 PM
I believe the Swift is safe for now

Oscar Wilde has had some money spent on her and could be used to go to Brest and Spain without the expense of Marine Gas Oil because this route is west of the Low Sulphur zone.

Her accomodation is good for family with cars and can handle 90 trailers plus 100 cars despite her age.

The Superfast Twins if they come would be easier to add scrubber or other technology too and have much greater freight capacity.

At 25 knots they could reduce the journey time to Cherbourg allowing 2100 PM departure from Rosslare ideal for freight with late morning arrival into Cherbourg.

They would not need too much work done on them for this route unless IF want to convert them to two level drive through.

Is there really room for all that capacity though?

Regarding the OW, her expensive cabins are excellent but I have also used more basic cabins and they are getting rather tired now.  If they plan to keep her in service her accommodation will need a good refurbishment.  She is still largely as she was when she joined from Color and I don't think they did much then.

TC

I think your 100% right on the interior Paddy. I like the Oscar Wilde personally, but was a little surprised at how some areas look so, well elderly. She's still very much Color Line, even her livery is a giveaway! I think she a good ship in many respects, but she could have looked half her age, if the 2008 refit had been more extensive. In a lot of areas give the ships age away, while she could easily pass as one from the 90s / 2000s if a little more work was undertaken. The Gaiety Lounge in particular could do with work. The Left Bank Brassiere looks very nice in all fairness.     

cosseric.coss

Someone posted either on here or a different site that one ship in Rosslare could carry both companies traffic. So maybe if Irish Ferries move the IOI back to Holyhead route and come to some agreement with Stena?

IFPete

My ideal options for a combined service vessel are Normandie, Mont Saint Michael or Stena Vision.

I believe Irish Ferries would be the favourates to run a combined service to Pembroke given its cheaper crewing costs and the better roads from Pembroke for freight.

My ideal options for direct IOI replacement are Stena Jutlandica , Armorique, Isle of Inishfree from 2017 and Normandie, Mont Saint Michael.

I suspect it will be Oscar Wilde or a wilde card perhaps one of the superfast vessels but that would be a waste of a good overnight ferry.

FerryMan

Quote from: IFPete on June 26, 2015, 02:02:19 AM
My ideal options for a combined service vessel are Normandie, Mont Saint Michael or Stena Vision.

I believe Irish Ferries would be the favourates to run a combined service to Pembroke given its cheaper crewing costs and the better roads from Pembroke for freight...... I suspect it will be Oscar Wilde or a wilde card perhaps one of the superfast vessels.......

Oscar Wilde would not be ideal vessel for the route the problems i see just on the cargo side.

• No open deck stowage for reefers, outside deck hazardous cargo & other cargo that needs outside ventilation.
  • Very limited on under deck hazardous cargo types.
  • Internal ramp to deck four for passenger traffic, with height restrictions.
  • Lift to deck two for  freight, no ramp.
  • Max clearance is 4.55 metres (IOI 4.90 metres) Irish road max height 4.65 metres.
  • Half the number of plug in points compared to IOI.
Ferry Master

IFPete

I do not see Oscar Wilde as a long term replacement for IOI on southern corridor,

We will see what happens in the coming months

giftgrub

Attica the owners of Superfast have been granted permission to sail from the USA to Cuba, they are going to use two ferries quite similar to those mentioned on this forum as possible acquisitions by Irish Ferries.

http://www.interferry.com/attica-joins-the-race-to-cuba/

http://www.informare.it/news/gennews/2015/20150981-Superfast-Ferries-realizzera-servizio-traghetto-USA-Cubauk.asp

Irish Ferries may have to look elsewhere for their future purchases.

mrwt.nsf

I take it ICG can't afford a new build then....

TC

I'm not 100% sure about this one, but Destination Gotland have recently ordered two new vessels, I would imagine to replace M.V. Gotland, and M.V. Visby. Both ships were built in 2003, equipped with 1600 lane metres, 300 beds, and capacity for 1500 passengers. To be honest I think both vessels are lacking a little in terms of lane metres, but ICG could do worse. I would imagine they would be sold at a competitive price considering both ships are now 12 years old, and were built in China, rather than a European yard. If they fit Rosslare, they could be good replacements for both Oscar Wilde, and if need be Isle of Inishmore (could move to Dublin to Holyhead).

http://www.ferry-site.dk/ferry.php?id=9223784&lang=en

mrwt.nsf

That would be an interesting line up, but I suppose we shouldn't put the cart before the horse. I'm sure ICG are assessing their options at the moment, possibly with the a full sale of the Kaitaki to Interislander, depending on the charter/sale prices.
What would happen to the Epsilon and the Dublin-Cherbourg route under the scenario you just mentioned TC?

hhvferry

The Visby and Gotland are pure day ships with a small number of cabins. The saloons are fitted out with hundreds of reclining seats, no bars or restaurants other than counter service amongst the seats. they are very much fitted out like fast ferries, an utterly different concept to the previous Visby (Felicity). So they would require a lot of onboard work to make them suitable although it's not impossible. I don't think they'd ever really be ideal as a replacement on an overnight crossing though.

IFPete

Visby and Gothland would be too small and uneconomic to operate to france.

Dont rule out the Superfast twins yet.

The greeks have no money and would take a reasonable offer if it was on the table.

Irish Ferries do not need to replace Tonnage before November in any case.