Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFPete

Isle of Inishmore is taking over Epsilons Duties on Holyhead - Dublin from 0800 AM tomorrow morning.

It will operate on the route until it arrives in Dublin at 1130 AM on saturday morning and the travel to Rosslare to take up 0845 AM sailing to Pembroke on Sunday.

Oscar Wilde will then travel for Drydocking.

Epsilon is currently berthed in Dublin at East Link Bridge. I guess Liffey Dockyard are working on it.

Normandy

So Epsilon is not having a drydock / refit like the others, seems strange as IF traditional drydock each ship each year kind of puts it as the economy ship as such.

Would love to travel on her but give the price and lack of facilities I think it would not be a good investment as the stena ship at the same time has much better facilities for much the same price.

Steven

Quote from: Normandy on February 04, 2015, 06:48:26 PM
So Epsilon is not having a drydock / refit like the others, seems strange as IF traditional drydock each ship each year kind of puts it as the economy ship as such.

Would love to travel on her but give the price and lack of facilities I think it would not be a good investment as the stena ship at the same time has much better facilities for much the same price.
Remember she is chartered tonnage, so little point in them spending money on her they don't have to as they'll never get it back again!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

The service available on Epsilon is not up to usual IF standard. However the freight capacity is impressive.

It would be interesting to see if she goes to liverpool for a quick survey.

I was told that she was being repaired by liffey dock yard however i would be surprised if she would fit in liffey dockyards dock.

ferryfan

Dublin dry docks are about 200m long so it would fit albeit very tight I remember seeing the St Killian 2 in there several years ago and it was often used for repairs to the old B+I ships.

Normandy

was looking at the spec on the super fasts from earlier and was thinking a super-fast (I or II) would be an ideal short term and be far better to cover Epsilion as her facilities would be far better and while less freight space would give the ability to consolidate the market if it was decided to cancel the swift, given stena's announcement as regards the HSS. This would mean a full two ship operation instead of losing a ship at the weekend to go to France. If they took a second of that class as an additional ship on Ireland - continent we could see a year round freight service with limited passenger facilities but nowhere near as limited as Epsilon. Indeed if this was the case you could see three round trips per week (say two to France and one to a Spanish port). Oscar wilde providing seasonal service on the continental run. If this was the case the OW could only do three service a week and so be able to offer a fixed weekly timetable instead of every second day as is currently the peak season timetable.  only concern would be the length of the ships regarding Pembroke as they are 199 meters long and i believe there is a limit on Pembroke, as a super-fast would fit the bill in Pembroke as it does not seem to heavy with passenger traffic and 950 PC would be cost efficient all year round.

My guess would be a short term solution will prevail till a purpose built ship can be built as yards have waiting lists at present.

I would love to see
Dublin - Holyhead
Ulysses, superfast I and seasonal Jswift
Rosslare - Pembroke
Isle of Inishmore
Continental route (services from Dublin and Rosslare to France and Spain)
Superfast II and seasonal Oscar Wilde

All thoughts welcome!!

See the Isle of Inishmore is back with us!!

Bigalsship

My thoughts on this:

Irish Ferries lineup:

Dub-Hol. Ulysses and Isle of Inishmore and Swift

Ros-Pem. Superfast I

Ros-Cher. Superfast XI!

Note that Epsilon and Oscar are gone!! Could this possibly happen?!

IFPete

Oscar Wilde is a tourist ferry with its own market and makes more money than the others with excelent on bourd facilities.

ferryfan

I think Normandy is correct when he says that Oscar Wilde was due to take over from Epsilon the switch to using Inishmore  may have been made in response to the Nordica collision.
Meanwhile anyone wishing to express interest in taking over the fast craft run from Dun Laoghaire  can apply here
https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=84497&B=&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

Normandy

I am sure the Oscar Wilde is a tourist ferry but I would not think it is the biggest earner in the fleet, Freight pays the bills but the likes of Superfast XI to hold the passenger market but expand the freight market. I personally see there is scope to Hold the Oscar wilde for seasonal and cover work but the likes of superfast II to cover an all year service freight market and possibly open a Spanish route.

As I say I would put the Superfast I in Rosslare - Pembroke but I think there is lenght restriction on Pembroke so She could still cover Dublin -Holyhead, as her lane meters are closer to Epilson and with much better passenger facilities but still providing adequate PC of 950.

I do feel the IOM is too big for Rosslare - Pembroke especially her 2,200 PC and her 2,000 lane metres.

I do feel Irish Ferries will take a short term solution with a long term solution to come.

Steven

Speculation and debate about possible fleet changes is probably better suited to the appropriate central corridor thread, rather than in fleet movements

http://irish-ferries-enthusiasts.com/forum/index.php?topic=551.105
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

Isle of Inishmore left Dublin 1245 PM on route to Rosslare, Due at 1800 PM.

Ocscar Wilde enters to drydock tomorrow, Next Sailing Rosslare - Cherbourg 27 February.

ferryfan

Oscar Wilde off to Falmouth for her dry docking

IFPete

Oscar Wilde is operating unsheduled Sailing from Cherbourg to Rosslare Dept 1840 PM arriving Rosslare 1400 PM tomorrow.

Now doubt a revenue diversion from Falmouth for the freight community and some time to store in Cherbourg.

mightymax23

Any update on the reports of IF purchasing some EX Superfast's from the Med or maybe a new build/builds?