Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on December 19, 2014, 03:39:19 PM
A new build would not be available for three years which is too long away and Stena would be happy for the cash a lease or sale of the Stena Jutlandica would generate. The Jutlandica is a one off in the Stena Fleet.
IF Stena where to sell Jutlandica, ICG are the last company they would sell or lease to!  Does anyone really think that Stena have made this significant investment in the central corridor only to hand their competitor a ready made replacement for their own sub-standard offering?  It would have cost a lot less to move Jutlandica in order to replace Nordica than the acquisition and conversion of Dieppe Seaways to Stena Superfast X.  I doubt very much Stena are keen to help IF solve their "problem".  While Stena is split into different business units/companies they work in their mural interest - not against each other!

As for being a one off, she is not the only one.  If any ship on her route is going anywhere it is her running mate Stena Danica (the same vintage as Stena Europe).  As for Stena needing the money, unlike IF/ICG Stena don't have to persue short term profit to appease shareholders.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

IF have bought and least ferries from Stena in the past and visa verse.

Stena Scandanavica (St Killian) , Princessan Brigita (Normandy) , Stena Nordica Sister of saint brendan and Stena Jultandica I.

Isle of Inishfree and St Patrick and also leased to Stena.

Stena will need to replace Danica and Jutlandica in a few years in any case.

The Stena Danica sister Stena Jutlandica II was scrapped some years ago when it had a fire.

At the end of the day money talks and if it makes sence IF have access to money.

IFPete

I passed the Epsilon berthed beside the East Link Bridge this evening.

I noticed she has been holed on her starbard side.

I heard a rumour she will be put into liffey dockyard for repairs this week.

ferryfan

Epsilon is berthed at Cruise 18 Terminal 3 until Saturday 27th when she will move to her usual berth 49 prior to her scheduled Cherbourg service

giftgrub

The Stena Jutlandica may well appear on the Irish Sea at some stage in the future, however it will not be in Irish Ferries colours. If it was to transfer to another route Stena will have a use for it.

While the Stena Danicas sister ship was indeed scrapped it had been badly damaged as Pride of Telemark and after it's Dover Calais service ended not that we'll looked after.

The Normandy was not a Stena vessel when chartered and sold to Irish Ferries.

Also Oscar Wilde sailings cancelled last night and today, next sailing expected at 20.45 tonight.

HSS

Nice to have an IF Sunday afternoon ferry service to Holyhead with the IOI!

cosseric.coss

The week after Xmas, I plan to take  the Ulysses from Dublin at 08:05 and return on the Inishmore from Holyhead at 20:00 hrs hope to get pleanty of pics for u guys

cosseric.coss

Anyone know what's up with Oscar Wilde? She is delayed with "technical difficulties"

IFPete

I understand Oscar Wilde had some techical difficulties combined with rough weather.

giftgrub

Ais for Oscar Wilde playing up as well, showing off Milford Haven when berthed in Rosslare this morning at 11.15, not doing to bad at maintaining sailings now the wind speed has dropped.

Collision-course

There is a rumor doing the rounds (and I stress it is only a rumor but the source is well connected) that ICG have been in discussions with a Mediterranean based ship owner with a view to purchasing two large ropax ferries built in the mid-2000's  , one (possibly both) of them is thought to be a Superfast.
While I believe Irish Ferries would prefer an LNG powered newbuild to partner Ulysses (and I am told they have the financial firepower to do so) delivery time is an issue as yard space is scarce at present , and I believe there is ongoing discussions with a yard in relation to a newbuild.
It will be very interesting to see which way they go , will they order new and hold on to Epsilon while they wait , or will they kill two birds with one stone and go for a pair of secondhands to hand back Epsilon and put Oscar Wilde out to pasture , either way I am told a decision will be made in Q1 of 2015.

IFPete

If they do not go for a new build now, it is possible they will wait for EC Funding. The Dublin - Holyhead Route is subject to future EU Funding as part of EU policy of connecting Cities in EU.

Stena would Qualify for this too,

Superfast I and II were build in 2008 and 2009

Ship                    Built     Gross tonnage  Length Width Passengers Vehicles Knots
MS Superfast I     2008    24.950 GT         199 m 26,6 m 928          700         24
MS Superfast II    2009    24.950 GT         199 m 26,6 m 928          700         24

Regarding Oscar Wilde it is a cruise or tourist ferry. It still has a place on the Ireland - France route iwith passengers and cars 6 months of the year.

20knots

Ulysses technical problem

Today's (Fri 02 Jan 2015) 02.40 ex Holyhead and 08.05 ex Dublin sailings of the Ulysses were both cancelled due to a technical problem.

To make matters worse the 08.45 Jonathan Swift ex Dublin was cancelled too due to adverse weather.

Passengers booked on the 08.05 were to be accommodated on the 20.55 tonight while passengers booked on the 08.45 were to be carried on the 14.15 Isle of Inishmore sailing.

Most unusual for the Ulysses to lose a sailing for technical reasons and couldn't have happened on a worse day given the New Year exodus.

A perusal of the AIS suggests Ulysses left Holyhead twice but returned again.

Normandy

Rumour heard through face book is the ulysses, may have had alittle of trouble berthing but contact with the berth is not ruled out. No further details or indeed on very loose foundation. I believe she is heading for drydock early next week. Isle of Inishmore to the rescue by all accounts!
Any details regarding Ulysses and I would be delighted to hear them.

Steven

The big difference between vessels previously sold on by Stena and the current Jutlandica is that those vessels where either purpose built for the charter market or selling on, or traffic on suitable Stena services had outgrown them.  The Stena way is to buy cheap and sell at the top of the market.  The current Jutlandica is still a very useful ship for Stena to have and would be of use on many services.  As for money talking, not always....
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline