Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosseric.coss

I would actually be quite sad if the Inishmore left Rosslare because she is part of the early morning and evening background of the port.
I Love travelling on footpassenger day trips on her, and if Epsilon replaced her, you wouldn't have the same facilities. And worse again Irish Ferries don't even carry foot passengers on Epsilon, does anyone know why?

Steven

Quote from: Oscar Wilde on August 17, 2014, 05:31:35 PM
I would actually be quite sad if the Inishmore left Rosslare because she is part of the early morning and evening background of the port.
I Love travelling on footpassenger day trips on her, and if Epsilon replaced her, you wouldn't have the same facilities. And worse again Irish Ferries don't even carry foot passengers on Epsilon, does anyone know why?

Too much aggro probably.  If its anything like the Birkenhead twins its a minibus job to get them on and off. 
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Collision-course

Quote from: Steven on August 17, 2014, 03:43:35 PM

Quote from: MAKman on August 15, 2014, 10:12:19 PM
Quote from: Oscar Wilde on August 15, 2014, 03:57:41 PM
Quote from: MAKman on August 15, 2014, 03:39:03 PM
There are no Filipinos on the Irish Ferries fleet.
I will be onboard for Christmas, it won't be the same as being at home but we will make the most of it.

Do you work on an Irish Ferries ship? If so what's it like being onboard Christmas day?

There will be party games, carol singing and a Christmas service from the Captain 😉😉😉

I have this image of men in boiler suits playing pass the parcel in the engine room lol ;)

Hehehe yeah , who ever removes the last layer of the parcel gets to fit the part inside lol

FerryMan

Quote from: Oscar Wilde on August 17, 2014, 05:31:35 PM

A reply from IF why they can't carry foot passengers on Epsilon.

"The Mv  Epsilon is the newest cruise ferry addition to our fleet. The design of this ship is very different from all of our other vessels. The passenger areas on the Mv Epsilon ( restaurants & accommodation)  are situated on upper decks 5 & 6 which are at the forward end (front) of the ship. The ship was not designed to carry foot-passengers as there is no foot-passenger gangway from the shore side to the passenger areas.

The ship is stern loading (back) and foot-passengers (if allowed) would have to load with the cars and walk along the car decks. It is a  very long walk and some of the car decks are exposed to the elements. For these reasons it is deemed unsafe for foot-passengers under health and safety concerns. Our reservations booking system has been set up to only accept motorist bookings on the MV Epsilon. There are no plans to change this.

I trust this explanation will give you some insight into the reasons why we do not accept foot-passenger bookings on the Mv Epsilon."
Ferry Master

giftgrub

Obviously as above post plus the fact that passenger accommodation is limited on the Epsilon when compared to their other passenger vessels.

ferry enthusiast

Although I have been a member on this site for a few months, I have never posted before, but there is an ongoing rumour that bothers me immensely.  I don't know if Irish Ferries monitor this site, I hope so. I am a frequent traveller (and a member of the IF group - check our spending history with IF), travelling mainly between Rosslare and Pembroke and between Dublin and Holyhead with the car, and between Rosslare and Roscoff every year with car and caravan. Perhaps I should write direct to IF but I don't know who to address the mail to. My concern is replacing the Inishmore with the Epsilon on the Pembroke route. We've used the Epsilon between Dublin and Holyhead and we all know it's nothing like the Ulysses or Inishmore. No club class and very very limited seating. If the rumoured move takes place we shall move to Stena who provide club class to Fishguard - without young screaming tots in the lounge too. Ok if you have a young family, we now don't - done that, and now appreciate quiter comfort, IF please note. We like the Ulysses and Inishmore. The Oscar Wilde for Roscoff with its dining options and sailing timings is perfect. IF please don't move the Inishmore and put Epsilon on the four hour Pembroke run, or all our money will be going to Stena, whichever vessel they use, as long as it's not the Horizon!. We live near Rosslare but I think we'd go to Dublin if ever the Horizon and Epsilon were on the southern corridor. Chris.

Steven

Quote from: ferry enthusiast on August 19, 2014, 10:16:30 AM
Although I have been a member on this site for a few months, I have never posted before, but there is an ongoing rumour that bothers me immensely.  I don't know if Irish Ferries monitor this site, I hope so. I am a frequent traveller (and a member of the IF group - check our spending history with IF), travelling mainly between Rosslare and Pembroke and between Dublin and Holyhead with the car, and between Rosslare and Roscoff every year with car and caravan. Perhaps I should write direct to IF but I don't know who to address the mail to. My concern is replacing the Inishmore with the Epsilon on the Pembroke route. We've used the Epsilon between Dublin and Holyhead and we all know it's nothing like the Ulysses or Inishmore. No club class and very very limited seating. If the rumoured move takes place we shall move to Stena who provide club class to Fishguard - without young screaming tots in the lounge too. Ok if you have a young family, we now don't - done that, and now appreciate quiter comfort, IF please note. We like the Ulysses and Inishmore. The Oscar Wilde for Roscoff with its dining options and sailing timings is perfect. IF please don't move the Inishmore and put Epsilon on the four hour Pembroke run, or all our money will be going to Stena, whichever vessel they use, as long as it's not the Horizon!. We live near Rosslare but I think we'd go to Dublin if ever the Horizon and Epsilon were on the southern corridor. Chris.
Hi Chris, welcome to the site.

Meet the dockers

Quote from: Dublinport on August 16, 2014, 11:41:34 PM
From speaking to a staff member, I can tell you that absolutely nothing has been agreed past 31/01/15 at the moment (that's the last date on the booking engine). There's no provisional schedule for 2015 for France, but last year it was up on the site by August/September. Seems strange that they're letting Stena get out there so far in advance...

Could be they don't want to show their hand too soon. 

Spoke to IF who confirmed that provisional schedule will not be agreed until Early october with bookings available C 4 weeks thereafter. Seems that some sort of chage is in the offing to this years schedule....

IFPete

Quote from: Meet the dockers on August 20, 2014, 10:33:45 AM
Quote from: Dublinport on August 16, 2014, 11:41:34 PM
From speaking to a staff member, I can tell you that absolutely nothing has been agreed past 31/01/15 at the moment (that's the last date on the booking engine). There's no provisional schedule for 2015 for France, but last year it was up on the site by August/September. Seems strange that they're letting Stena get out there so far in advance...

Could be they don't want to show their hand too soon. 

Spoke to IF who confirmed that provisional schedule will not be agreed until Early october with bookings available C 4 weeks thereafter. Seems that some sort of chage is in the offing to this years schedule....

IFPete

Epsilon is not suitable for Rosslare - Pembroke due to lack of passenger facilities for peak season where they have load of 1200 to 1500 passengers on some voyages and ease of access to accomodation block.

Dont be surprised if another ferry arrives on the seen for Rosslare - Pembroke if IOI were to go north which is far from certain in 2014.

My money is on a Stena Ferry displaced from Scandinavia "Stena Jutlandica or perhaps "Gotland or Visby" from Gotland line which have good freight and passenger accomodation.

There is plenty of work for Epsilon on the run to france or perhaps spain especially with the New Car imports and the haulage community looking for direct access to the continent.

Regards IF PETE

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on August 20, 2014, 08:18:27 PM
Epsilon is not suitable for Rosslare - Pembroke due to lack of passenger facilities for peak season where they have load of 1200 to 1500 passengers on some voyages and ease of access to accomodation block.

Dont be surprised if another ferry arrives on the seen for Rosslare - Pembroke if IOI were to go north which is far from certain in 2014.

My money is on a Stena Ferry displaced from Scandinavia "Stena Jutlandica or perhaps "Gotland or Visby" from Gotland line which have good freight and passenger accomodation.

There is plenty of work for Epsilon on the run to france or perhaps spain especially with the New Car imports and the haulage community looking for direct access to the continent.

Regards IF PETE

Question is what would replace Jutlandica?  Personally I think if the right ship becomes along then Europe will be replaced, if not she will soldier on as she has done over the past few years.

As for Epsilon, I said at the time she was acquired she was more suited to the French run.  Wether IoI goes north remains to be seen.  It could be that IF decide to run with one ship, OR maybe even switch Epsilon to a freight only role at Holyhead.  Much of the feedback I have heard about her from Holyhead passengers has been less than complimentary - hardly surprising if they have already been on her running mate!

Things look very shakey at LD with the MoS funding not being extended which could create a nice wee opportunity for Epsilon.  Im sure LD have a few contracts IF and Stena would both be interested in picking up!  Oscar isn't getting any younger either.  I wonder what the numbers would be like for running Epsilon year round and Oscar in the peak season only?

IFPete

There is a real shortage of Ferries out there that can carry 120 to 150 trucks with 1500 passengers that can load simultaniously on two levels to replace existing tonnage.

Not sure what is in construction,

I agree Oscars long term future is a summer vessel for France. Her interior is still in very good condition.

TC

How are Epsilons loads in terms of freight (Holyhead run)? I'd say there wouldn't be much demand for Inishmore style capacity. Stena have ample capacity with the Stena Adventurer and Nordica (and especially if Dieppe Seaways replaces Nordica).

P&O move a lot of freight and have loads of lane meters. Remember they have increased capacity with the retirement of Norcape, and the arrival of European Endeavour. P&O is proving a popular choice with regulations on truck drivers (freight) and the P&O North Sea connection to continental Europe. And don't forget Seatruck!

I.F. could have a situation where a large vessel like Inishmore was leaving with only half capacity. At the same time they do have to compete. A vessel like 'Barfleur' would be the best option - reasonable passenger capacity and freight. A sister of European Endeavour would have been a perfect option. Endeavour has good passenger accommodation / capacity, and is RO-RO from her Dover days (sure a sister could be modified in a similar set up for Holyhead).

Stena Baltica (BF's) is also a potential vessel for the route. A P&O style conversion along Pride of Burgundy or Steam Packets 'Ben my Chree' would provide the right capacity, and freight capacity. 

European Endeavour (2000 LM)
Norbay (2200 LM)
Norbank (2200 LM)

IFPete

Epsilon has 2800 lane metres and is getting good enough loads,

I suspect the Nordica is now too small for Holyhead route in terms if freight capacity,

Barfour freight capacity is smaller than both of these.

TC

The competition would be the key issue. And the field might change. Its all a bit wait and see. But the cost of diesel and tough regulations on freight drivers makes P&O Dublin to Liverpool work for a lot of companies. And the Endeavour, Norbank and Norbay carry a serious amount of freight. If you ever go on P&O Dublin to Liverpool, your car will get boxed in and trailers will make up more than 80% of the load. This year has been very good indeed for P&O. To be honest Norbank and Norbay are proving a little small in passenger & freight capacity.

I cant see Seatruck staying independent for the forcible future, an acquisition, and streamlining of the company by P&O shouldn't be ruled out. Stena's acquisition of DFDS Irish Sea, and Fleetwood back in 04, has culminated in P&O having no access to NI, other than Cairnryan / Troon - Larne. The acquisition and reconfiguration of Seatruck would provide P&O with the ability to compete with Stena. 

A positive for Holyhead is that the route is shorter and I.F. could make savings in the fuel dept, and perhaps undercut P&O, but hauliers are very concerned about there own fuel costs, and driver regulations. In addition P&O Ferrymasters put a lot of work P&O Irish Sea's way, and Dublin to Liverpool is a big profit maker for P&O, and they would be keen to protect or expand there market share.