Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: Oscar Wilde on August 13, 2014, 04:34:28 PM
For Christmas, do all Ulysses staff go home for Christmas? or do they stay on the ship and celebrate Christmas onboard?
Is there anyone on there that would actually care about Christmas? :)
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Collision-course

Irish Ferries vessels do lay up for Christmas day , however for those on shift I imagine its just another working day despite the ship being out of service.

FerryMan

For Christmas, do all Ulysses staff go home for Christmas? or do they stay on the ship and celebrate Christmas onboard?

They all stay onboard. Ulysses is only off the run for two days. Last arrival is @17.25hrs into Dublin 24th & she sails 27th @08.05hrs.

Swift last arrival is @13.39hrs into Dublin 24th & she sails 27th @08.45hrs

Inishmore last arrival is @11.30hrs into Dublin 24th & she sails 27th @14.15hrs

Oscar Wilde last arrival is @18:46hrs into Rosslare from Pembroke 24th & she sails 27th @08:45hrs to Pembroke

Epsilon last arrival is @11.30hrs into Dublin 20th & she sails 4th January 2015 @20:45hrs Rosslare - Pembroke

All the above time/dates are taken from the IF online booking system. Will Epsilon head to Cherbourg for lay up for Christmas again this year?
Ferry Master

20knots

Is there a particular reason each arrival of the Isle of Inishmore is shown as xx:46 (rather than xx:45)? In reality it is irrelevant but is there an accounting or other reason behind it?

FerryMan

Quote from: 20knots on August 15, 2014, 12:07:19 AM
Is there a particular reason each arrival of the Isle of Inishmore is shown as xx:46 (rather than xx:45)? In reality it is irrelevant but is there an accounting or other reason behind it?

This would be my view on it & not from any official  IF sources.
Isle of Inishmore crossing time is now 4h 1min. I think this has to do with EU reg 1177/2010  rights of passengers when travelling by sea and inland waterway.

Compensation - The passenger is entitled to a minimum level of compensation of 25% of the ticket price, for that part of the affected journey, if their passenger service is delayed for at least:

a) 1 hour for a journey of duration 4 hours;
b) 2 hours for a journey of duration between 4 and 8 hours;
c) 3 hours for a journey of duration between 8 and 24 hours; or
d) 6 hours for a journey of duration of over 24 hours.

If the delay exceeds double the time set out, the compensation shall be 50% of the ticket price. The ferry or cruise operator must pay compensation within 1 month of the submission of a substantiated claim for compensation.
Ferry Master

cosseric.coss

Quote from: Steven on August 13, 2014, 08:02:09 PM

I suppose Irish Ferries staff wouldn't care about Christmas because they are from the Phillippeans and it would take too long to get home for Christmas and back to Dublin again for the 27th December. Plus the majority of them wouldn't have families. BUT I'd say Stena's staff wouldn't stay on board for Christmas because they would be either British or Irish staff and they would probably go home to their families for the 25th and 26th December.

Steam Packet

Quote from: Oscar Wilde on August 15, 2014, 01:43:56 PM

I suppose Irish Ferries staff wouldn't care about Christmas because they are from the Phillippeans and it would take too long to get home for Christmas and back to Dublin again for the 27th December. Plus the majority of them wouldn't have families. BUT I'd say Stena's staff wouldn't stay on board for Christmas because they would be either British or Irish staff and they would probably go home to their families for the 25th and 26th December.

Filipinos surely celebrate Christmas, it's a predominately Roman Catholic Country. Maybe they don't get to go home to spend the time with their families, but they'll definitely celebrate as a crew on board.

And lets not forget Stena have quite alot of Filipinos in their crews too, at least they do on the North Sea Routes.

bfm003

There are no Filipinos on the Irish Ferries fleet.
I will be onboard for Christmas, it won't be the same as being at home but we will make the most of it.

cosseric.coss

Quote from: MAKman on August 15, 2014, 03:39:03 PM
I will be onboard for Christmas, it won't be the same as being at home but we will make the most of it.

Do you work on an Irish Ferries ship? If so what's it like being onboard Christmas day?

HSS

All this talk of Christmas when its summertime can't be right ::). Anybody know if the IOI will be on Holyhead-Dublin permanently next year?

bfm003

Quote from: Oscar Wilde on August 15, 2014, 03:57:41 PM

Do you work on an Irish Ferries ship? If so what's it like being onboard Christmas day?

There will be party games, carol singing and a Christmas service from the Captain 😉😉😉

Steven

Quote from: Oscar Wilde on August 15, 2014, 01:43:56 PM
BUT I'd say Stena's staff wouldn't stay on board for Christmas because they would be either British or Irish staff and they would probably go home to their families for the 25th and 26th December.
Yes and no.  If the ship is in the right port when she lays over then Stena's staff can go home for a few hours.  TBH, plenty of people employed in the hospitality industry work Christmas Day - and when I say work it really is work with dealing with the general public, etc just like in a normal shift.  Even in retail (particularly in supermarkets) there is often someone who has to "go in" on Christmas Day (for example to check the temperatures of refrigeration equipment, etc).

cosseric.coss

Quote from: HSS on August 15, 2014, 08:36:53 PM
All this talk of Christmas when its summertime can't be right ::). Anybody know if the IOI will be on Holyhead-Dublin permanently next year?

Some people say the. IOI is to move to Dublin Holyhead next year and Epsilon operate Rosslare Pembroke BUT  others say she will stay in Rosslare

Dublinport

From speaking to a staff member, I can tell you that absolutely nothing has been agreed past 31/01/15 at the moment (that's the last date on the booking engine). There's no provisional schedule for 2015 for France, but last year it was up on the site by August/September. Seems strange that they're letting Stena get out there so far in advance...

Steven

Quote from: Dublinport on August 16, 2014, 11:41:34 PM
From speaking to a staff member, I can tell you that absolutely nothing has been agreed past 31/01/15 at the moment (that's the last date on the booking engine). There's no provisional schedule for 2015 for France, but last year it was up on the site by August/September. Seems strange that they're letting Stena get out there so far in advance...

Could be they don't want to show their hand too soon. 

Quote from: MAKman on August 15, 2014, 10:12:19 PM
Quote from: Oscar Wilde on August 15, 2014, 03:57:41 PM

There will be party games, carol singing and a Christmas service from the Captain 😉😉😉

I have this image of men in boiler suits playing pass the parcel in the engine room lol ;)