Irish Ferries Fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, January 05, 2010, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferryfan

Epsilon must of being running empty she left Holyhead around 7.00 am and has not yet berthed in Dublin she is circling the bay,Dublin to Cherbourg cancelled, Epsilon becoming a bit of a nightmare.

ferryfan

Quote from: ferryfan on May 28, 2016, 12:15:18 PM
Epsilon must of being running empty she left Holyhead around 7.00 am and has not yet berthed in Dublin she is circling the bay,Dublin to Cherbourg cancelled, Epsilon becoming a bit of a nightmare.
She is now being towed into the harbour by port tugboat Beaufort. Brings back memories of the B+I.

ferryfan

Quote from: ferryfan on May 20, 2016, 04:31:39 PM
Quote from: RorieLen on May 20, 2016, 04:10:45 PM
I hope this link works:

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5da582e7a43569a70ffcb0663/files/fixrep1604.pdf
Thanks and well spotted the only thing I had come across was a report from Goodbody stockbrokers which had suggesssted that the cost of a new build could be recovered (at current trading volumes) in 2-3 years so that would of seemed to be the obvious choice.
In any case they seem to be keeping the charter extension fairly quiet with no announcement to the press or travel trade.
https://www.goodbody.ie/pdf/Morning_Wrap_29_Apr_2016.pdf

In a briefing note this morning, Goodbody analyst Jack Diskin said the new ferry would give the company scope to park its HSC Jonathan Swift fast ferry during the slow season and to replace the chartered MV Epsilon.

He said it would also give the company the ability to expand its shipping volumes beyond 2020, when it was expected current capacity would be tested.

Steven

Quote from: ferryfan on June 01, 2016, 10:23:37 PM
Quote from: ferryfan on May 20, 2016, 04:31:39 PM
Quote from: RorieLen on May 20, 2016, 04:10:45 PM
I hope this link works:

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5da582e7a43569a70ffcb0663/files/fixrep1604.pdf
Thanks and well spotted the only thing I had come across was a report from Goodbody stockbrokers which had suggesssted that the cost of a new build could be recovered (at current trading volumes) in 2-3 years so that would of seemed to be the obvious choice.
In any case they seem to be keeping the charter extension fairly quiet with no announcement to the press or travel trade.
https://www.goodbody.ie/pdf/Morning_Wrap_29_Apr_2016.pdf

In a briefing note this morning, Goodbody analyst Jack Diskin said the new ferry would give the company scope to park its HSC Jonathan Swift fast ferry during the slow season and to replace the chartered MV Epsilon.

He said it would also give the company the ability to expand its shipping volumes beyond 2020, when it was expected current capacity would be tested.
Makes total sense to me.  Such a move might also prolong the lifespan of Swift on the Irish Sea.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steven

Quoterish Continental Group PLC takes delivery "Westpac Express".
June 21, 2016
|
Irish Continental Group

Irish Continental Group PLC ("ICG") is pleased to announce that, further to the announcement issued on 15 April 2016, it took delivery of the High Speed Craft "Westpac Express" from BALI Westpac 2006, LLC on 1 June 2016.

The Vessel has been onward delivered by ICG to Sealift LLC who has in turn chartered the Vessel to Military Sealift Command, a U.S government organisation. The charter is subject to usual US government procurement regulations and is fixed for a firm 4 month period to 30 September, with charterer's options to extend the charter period to a maximum of 59 months in total.

The vessel was built in 2001 by Austal Ships, Australia. It has a gross tonnage of 8,403 tonne, passenger capacity of 900 and a car carrying capacity of 182 units.
http://www.maatsuyker.com/#!Irish-Continental-Group-PLC-takes-delivery-Westpac-Express/c1wkp/5768baa70cf240932ed181d9

conor

When the new build arrives and presumably the westpac express will be here instead of swift would this be a sensible timetable?

Dublin-Holyhead
Ulysses(full time) westpac express(full time) and new build(Tuesday-Friday)

Rosslare-Pembroke
IOI(full time)

Rosslare-Cherbourg/Roscoff
OW(dep Sat arr Sun) (Return dep Sun arr Mon)
September-May Cherbourg only then May-September 1/4 sailings to Roscoff and 3/4 sailings to Cherbourg

Dublin to Cherbourg/Roscoff
New build to Cherbourg Saturday to Sunday then return Sunday to Monday.
OW on Mon to Roscoff and back in Dublin on Wednesday. Wednesday to Cherbourg and back in Dublin on Friday

Niall

Conor, I doubt Westpac Express will ever see service for Irish Ferries. For one thing she is 15 years old and would only have to be replaced after a short time. Jonathan Swift is on borrowed time and will become seasonal from September. However I expect Swift to be chartered out to the med later this year.

conor

Ok thanks.
What are your thoughts on Dublin to France?

ferryfan

Quote from: Niall on June 26, 2016, 05:58:25 PM
Conor, I doubt Westpac Express will ever see service for Irish Ferries. For one thing she is 15 years old and would only have to be replaced after a short time. Jonathan Swift is on borrowed time and will become seasonal from September. However I expect Swift to be chartered out to the med later this year.
The experts at Goodbodystockbrokers think she may well be used in Dublin at some stage for the following reaon,

......."This makes the vessel larger and younger than the Jonathan Swift, the high speed craft
which ICG currently operates on its own network. Furthermore, the Westpac Express has
approximately two thirds of the machine running hours of the Jonathan Swift, which is the
key factor when determining the remaining useful life of fastcraft vessels."#

There has been no talk of Swift going anywhere at the moment as she is still attracting good loads.

IFPete

Leonora Christina will be available in September 2018 when the franchise it operates under expires. she would be more ideal replacement for Swift being bigger and more able to handle irish sea at higher wave heights.

I would expect Westpack Express to go into service with irish Navy as a utility vessel when she finishes her charter to the US goverment.

Fast Ferry Fan

I used the Swift last Sunday as a foot passenger on the 5.15pm sailing from Holyhead and counted around 200 foot passengers getting off the 2.30pm from Dublin and about 100 boarding the 5.15pm.  The ferry didn't leave Holyhead until around 5.50pm and the captain put this down to good loads during the day.

The HSS could start loading up new cars whilst the departing vehicles were still leaving, and turnaround in about 35 mins.  Even with its smaller loads, I don't think the Swift shares that luxury.

I'll be surprised if the Swift is going seasonal, as has been suggested above, from that anecdotal evidence.

Steven

Quote from: ferryfan on June 27, 2016, 01:47:33 PM
Quote from: Niall on June 26, 2016, 05:58:25 PM
The experts at Goodbodystockbrokers think she may well be used in Dublin at some stage for the following reaon,

......."This makes the vessel larger and younger than the Jonathan Swift, the high speed craft
which ICG currently operates on its own network. Furthermore, the Westpac Express has
approximately two thirds of the machine running hours of the Jonathan Swift, which is the
key factor when determining the remaining useful life of fastcraft vessels."#

There has been no talk of Swift going anywhere at the moment as she is still attracting good loads.
I'd hardly call Goodbodystockbrokers experts in the ferry industry.  The clue is in their name - they are stock brokers!

Quote from: Fast Ferry Fan on June 30, 2016, 12:15:00 AM
I used the Swift last Sunday as a foot passenger on the 5.15pm sailing from Holyhead and counted around 200 foot passengers getting off the 2.30pm from Dublin and about 100 boarding the 5.15pm.  The ferry didn't leave Holyhead until around 5.50pm and the captain put this down to good loads during the day.

The HSS could start loading up new cars whilst the departing vehicles were still leaving, and turnaround in about 35 mins.  Even with its smaller loads, I don't think the Swift shares that luxury.

I'll be surprised if the Swift is going seasonal, as has been suggested above, from that anecdotal evidence.

If she were to go seasonal then surely this is during the period she would be operating anyway!  100 passengers is hardly a huge load.  It all depends on what the economics are of operating her across all sailings.  No point having her full on some sailings and almost empty on many others.

Quote from: IFPete on June 29, 2016, 01:12:20 PM
Leonora Christina will be available in September 2018 when the franchise it operates under expires. she would be more ideal replacement for Swift being bigger and more able to handle irish sea at higher wave heights.

I would expect Westpack Express to go into service with irish Navy as a utility vessel when she finishes her charter to the US goverment.
There have been suggestions that Mols may take Leonora Christina on when they take over the tender due to an issue with foot passenger space on their new buildings.  Time will tell, but Leonora Christina may not be as available as was thought.  Of course, the price she is available for and operating costs will play a big factor, but with Mols promising to reduce ticket prices they may well need the extra space.

ferryfan

Steven regarding Goodbody's they were engaged by ICG to advise on the purchase of Westpac Express ( and the container vessels) so I would be sure that they have the necessary expertise available to them.

PaddyL

Quote from: ferryfan on July 22, 2016, 01:16:05 PM
Steven regarding Goodbody's they were engaged by ICG to advise on the purchase of Westpac Express ( and the container vessels) so I would be sure that they have the necessary expertise available to them.

Not so much that they themselves have the expertise but they most certainly engage the services of those who do. I know of a guy who regularly acts on behalf of institutional investors.

Steven

Quote from: PaddyL on July 22, 2016, 05:32:54 PM
Quote from: ferryfan on July 22, 2016, 01:16:05 PM

Not so much that they themselves have the expertise but they most certainly engage the services of those who do. I know of a guy who regularly acts on behalf of institutional investors.

Exactly.  I expect that goodbody look at the more financial aspects of the deal and take advice from others more familiar with the industry and vessels, then weigh up that advice with their own findings.