Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

some of an image of the Finnarrow in drydock in Greenock

Image taken by Jordan Harle

from

https://www.facebook.com/SunderlandTugs

giftgrub

There is a tug heading to Belfast at the moment, wonder is it going to be towing the Stena Voyager to its final destination ?

FerryMan

QuoteI think if you're being forced to travel anti-social hours the least you could be offered is a cabin on the boat, and if you have children, the option of the next days sailing and a hotel bed.  Irish crossing fares are not cheap.

I hope everyone aboard the Oscar Wilde for an additional 24 hours yesterday was given a cabin to sleep in and food

Fast Ferry Man this is what the EU have set for the min. rights. I work for an Irish sea ferry company who had some disruption this week. We do offer cabins were there are free ones to family's but on heavy freight nights it can't always be done. We don't charge people if they move to the next daytime sailing. I have been on a delayed Ireland/France sailing as a passenger, we were allowed to keep on using our cabin & was offered free lunch on the sailing. I read in the media that all passenger on board Oscar Wilde were offer free cabins & meals during the delay this week. 

Ferry Master

maehara

QuoteIn other news the HSS Stena Voyager is expected to depart Belfast within the next week heading to recycling facility where it will be scrapped.
Have gotten used to seeing the Voyager across Belfast Lough on the way in to work each morning.  Will be strange to not have it there.

I was never much of a fan of the HSS, but still appreciate their 'Concorde of the seas' status.  The first scrapping of one does count as the beginning of the end, I suppose...

mrwt.nsf

Hmmm yes and I think the Discovery will go the same way soon, although perhaps not to Stena Metal.

Robbie74656

Is one single tug able to tow such a big ship in rough seas?? It's a sad faith but unavoidable. Would be a cool place for a museum though!

I don't think the HSS discovery is going anywhere any time soon. As far as I know she is still involved in   the criminal investigation at Curacao (she smuggled diesels in her tanks). but she is defnitely ready for scrap; nothing has happened to her since she left belfast really.

steven_shaw

Well if that is true about the Voyager it is a very very sad day

I havent sailed with stena since the HSS was withdrawn as always go PO now on there 21st century fast ferry rather than the last century stena ''superfasts'

The HSS was the most awesome way to travel accross the irish sea and probably there will never be anything that comes close to it again

How anyone was not a fan of it amazes me

At least some can say we travelled on her!!!!

HSS

The Stena Explorer is still alive & well and doing a great job............for now anyway??

Collision-course

Was at a conference recently where it was generally agreed within the industry that the days of fast craft catamarans operating in Europe are numbered , there is now a record number of them in lay up (the figure I heard was 14 not counting the HSS's) , while in terms of speed they were a success , but the propulsion technology has been deemed a failure on reliability and economic grounds.
There was however talk of future monohull LPG powered ferries being able to reach speeds of 40 knots in the not too distant future , apparently there are several on the drawing board at present , the only thing holding them back is lack of investment by ferry companies due mostly to the global downturn.

mrwt.nsf

That was another conclusion I put in my dissertation lol!

Niall

What about hydrogen powered ferries?

Collision-course

I recall seeing plans for some small concept vessels powered by hydrogen fuel cells a few years back , I would imagine some have been built and tested by now , the hydrogen powered designs look promising however last I heard they were trying to overcome design limitations around fuel containment and reaction containment on a large scale , I would be inclined to say that large vessels powered by hydrogen fuel cells are not that far away either.

HSS

Some great photos of the Stena Adventurer in the Belfast dry dock at Harland and Wolff on Scott Mackey's brilliant Flickr Site.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey

Matt73

Also the Stena Hollandica goes to dry dock this weekend, leaving the Stena Britannica to work the Harwich - Hoek route on its own.

http://www.stenalinefreight.com/~/media/Files/Ferry%20Update%20Dry-docking%20Hollandica%20March%202013.ashx[/quote]

Thanks.  Any idea what they will be doing to Stena Hollandica whilst she's in drydock, aside from the usual survey and maintenance?

Will they be sorting out the problems with the restaurants and galley, exposed on Undercover Boss last year?

Matt

giftgrub

HI Matt, as the Hollandica is only out of service for a week, it will be mostly for routine maintenance and certification.

With regards to the galley, any changes in that area can be made while the vessel is in service and would not have to wait until it is in drydock.

The HSS 900 Stena Carisma is in drydock in Gothenburg at the moment. Images here:

http://www.landgangen.se/forumsmf10/index.php?topic=27755.msg247455#msg247455