Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boathansm

Quote from: Ferriesbetterfastercheape on March 28, 2024, 03:49:21 PMOwner of Stena Horizon is still the Visentini-yard.
B) Anything in Frederikshavn with Atlantic Vision is not working - too long for the port.

Superspeed 1 & 2 is 211m and can use Frederikshavn as a second dock when weather is bad in Hirtshals. Same as Stena Saga used and DFDS use now. Not twin loading, but that is possible to make.

Superfast ix is 203m.

Niall

Quote from: boathansm on March 28, 2024, 08:38:57 PM
Quote from: Ferriesbetterfastercheape on March 28, 2024, 03:49:21 PMOwner of Stena Horizon is still the Visentini-yard.
B) Anything in Frederikshavn with Atlantic Vision is not working - too long for the port.

Superspeed 1 & 2 is 211m and can use Frederikshavn as a second dock when weather is bad in Hirtshals. Same as Stena Saga used and DFDS use now. Not twin loading, but that is possible to make.

Superfast ix is 203m.

It has been rumoured that Atlantic Vision will be going to Odense once she arrives back in Europe.

Ferriesbetterfastercheape

Quote from: boathansm on March 28, 2024, 08:38:57 PMSuperspeed 1 & 2 is 211m and can use Frederikshavn as a second dock when weather is bad in Hirtshals. Same as Stena Saga used and DFDS use now.

Mhmmm - port-info has said "max. 180m" (with exception for Stena Jutlandica up to 184m) and i remember some years ago that the port has promised to Stena Line that from 2029/2030 up to max. 200m shall be possible for the projected new Stena Electra.

This size-limit was also the reason that Stena could not anymore operate with the newer much longer Kiel-ferries the former daytime - round-trip to Frederikshavn (as it f.ex. now Viking Line is doing with the Hel-Sto. ferry to Tallin) in summer.

The "old" Kiel ferries Stena Vision and Spirit was only 175m "short" - similar as the Stena Saga and the DFDS Copenhagen-Oslo ferries - there is nothing longer than ca. 175m - longest ferry in Frederikshavn actually is the Jutlandica with 184 m.
So i doubt very much that Stena now will make any complicated discuss with the port of Frederikshavn about to use ferries longer than 200m. But use of a normal Visentini or Stena Nordica is possible f.ex. - i see sadly only further Pax-downsizing of this route especially with the change from the actually city-center port to the freight port in Arendal nearby Göteborg in 2028 - sounds far away in future but is in 4 years only.
So f.ex. the Stena Horizon could change with Jutlandica - or replace Danica. 

In other parts of the Fred. port longer ships are possible up to 215m for yard-docking with tugs etc. - but not in the ferry-part of the port.

And furthermore - why Color Line is not using Skagen as "emergency-port" ?
Skagen can take much much longer ships than Frederikshavn and is more close nearby their route and Hirtshals.   

Quote from: Niall on March 28, 2024, 09:43:56 PMIt has been rumoured that Atlantic Vision will be going to Odense once she arrives back in Europe.

Then the chances are super-big that i am right with my speculations since long time that Atlantic Vision will go to Irish Ferries.
Also in the last few years other used bought ships from Irish Ferries was in the Fayard Shipyard in Odense for upfreshing and preparing the ferry for the routes from Irish Ferries, furthermore Cyprus-register is also typically for Irish Ferries. 

boathansm

Quote from: Ferriesbetterfastercheape on March 29, 2024, 03:05:58 PM
Quote from: boathansm on March 28, 2024, 08:38:57 PMSuperspeed 1 & 2 is 211m and can use Frederikshavn as a second dock when weather is bad in Hirtshals. Same as Stena Saga used and DFDS use now.

Mhmmm - port-info has said "max. 180m" (with exception for Stena Jutlandica up to 184m) and i remember some years ago that the port has promised to Stena Line that from 2029/2030 up to max. 200m shall be possible for the projected new Stena Electra.

This size-limit was also the reason that Stena could not anymore operate with the newer much longer Kiel-ferries the former daytime - round-trip to Frederikshavn (as it f.ex. now Viking Line is doing with the Hel-Sto. ferry to Tallin) in summer.

The "old" Kiel ferries Stena Vision and Spirit was only 175m "short" - similar as the Stena Saga and the DFDS Copenhagen-Oslo ferries - there is nothing longer than ca. 175m - longest ferry in Frederikshavn actually is the Jutlandica with 184 m.
So i doubt very much that Stena now will make any complicated discuss with the port of Frederikshavn about to use ferries longer than 200m. But use of a normal Visentini or Stena Nordica is possible f.ex. - i see sadly only further Pax-downsizing of this route especially with the change from the actually city-center port to the freight port in Arendal nearby Göteborg in 2028 - sounds far away in future but is in 4 years only.
So f.ex. the Stena Horizon could change with Jutlandica - or replace Danica. 

In other parts of the Fred. port longer ships are possible up to 215m for yard-docking with tugs etc. - but not in the ferry-part of the port.

And furthermore - why Color Line is not using Skagen as "emergency-port" ?
Skagen can take much much longer ships than Frederikshavn and is more close nearby their route and Hirtshals.   

Ferry quay 4 in Frederikshavn take ship up to 220m. It was extended in 2008 with 35m, to get Color Line back or bigger cruise ship.

boathansm

Quote from: Niall on March 28, 2024, 09:43:56 PM
Quote from: boathansm on March 28, 2024, 08:38:57 PM

Superfast ix is 203m.

It has been rumoured that Atlantic Vision will be going to Odense once she arrives back in Europe.

Stena has used same yard for Stena Jutlandica and Stena Nautica.

In next week I think should know more. DNV website has got an update as Stena Rederi AS as management, but home country is not updated to Cyprus.

He, then this ferry-port-size in Frederikshavn is a secret - in all databanks and on the own sites and infos from the port it is 180m only.

Stena could very well need a ferry more in the fleet - but it would be for me a surprise if really this ferry will appear on a Stena-route. They have a very cheap flexible best own new-building-system of E-Flexer (and New Max etc.) in all sizes, the Vinga has no route, some other ferries spent more time in ports than on routes (Ventspils, Karlskrona etc. - alone on this both routes with faster / other timetables it would be possible to get 1 + 1 ferry free but offer still the same capacity / 24 hours) - so why now buy this 23 (not 22 !) years old Superfast ? Maybe for a not cheap price if other ferry-companies (Balearia, Grimaldi, Irish Ferries, Corsica Linea etc.) also would be interested ?

So if really "Stena Group" should be the buyer i think the Atlantic Vision goes into the charter-fleet of Stena-RoRo.

But my speculation is still:
1) Bringing back home home Atlantic Vision now to Scandinavia was part of the deal between Stena and Marine Atlantic to charter the new E-Flexer - as a part of the "E-Flexer-package" which has won a few years ago the deal with Marine Atlantic against the newbuilding-offer from Gotlandsbolaget. OR: The E-Flexer was promised to be ready for operation NOW (end of charter-contract with Tallink) - but is a few weeks delayed - and instead of any penalty-money Stena is transferring now the ship to Denmark.
2) The Atlantic Vision is already "secretly" chartered from Tallink to Irish Ferries (if only charter and not a buy no stock-exchange news is needed ?) and will be
3) now renovated, new-painted and up-freshed in the yard in Odense.   

giftgrub

A nice image of the Stena Horizon all cleaned up and ready for some sanding and painting in Falmouth

https://www.flickr.com/photos/atoach/53621799029/

Back on the Rosslare Cherbourg timetable from April 9th, so they better get the rollers out soon.

giftgrub

Interim report into Stena Europe's engine room fire in Feb 23 has been published (not a huge amount of detail)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65effe32981227001af61270/2024-StenaEurope-InterimReport.pdf

I noticed that Bore Song has not moved since March 13th and is in port in Lubeck.

giftgrub

Quote from: Ferriesbetterfastercheape on April 03, 2024, 03:37:28 PM
Quote from: giftgrub on April 02, 2024, 08:22:40 PMin Lubeck.

Lübeck   :)

Apologies, still in Lübeck would expect it to be moving soon, due to enter service on the Irish Sea Saturday 13th April, weird it has not moved since March 13th, would have thought if its not being used ideal time to get it over.

Niall

Quote from: giftgrub on April 04, 2024, 07:49:31 AM
Quote from: Ferriesbetterfastercheape on April 03, 2024, 03:37:28 PM
Quote from: giftgrub on April 02, 2024, 08:22:40 PMin Lubeck.

Lübeck   :)

Apologies, still in Lübeck would expect it to be moving soon, due to enter service on the Irish Sea Saturday 13th April, weird it has not moved since March 13th, would have thought if its not being used ideal time to get it over.

I believe she's getting  modifications done before she heads to the Irish Sea

giftgrub

Images on Facebook from today in Fishguard show the jack up rig has yet to be refitted to the linkspan, clock is ticking Nordica due back in a week.

Hopefully the storm won't cause any issues.

Stena Horizon currently scheduled to depart Falmouth at midnight tomorrow Saturday heading back to Rosslare but not timetabled until Wednesday the 10th.

giftgrub

Stena Horizon departure from Falmouth delayed again, no longer on the vessel movements schedule.

Stena Line also announced today they have purchased a share in Africa Morocco Link

https://theferryforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2842

Bore Song also on the way to take over the Liverpool route from the Stena Nordica.

The jack up rig in Fishguard currently planned to be installed back on the linkspan this Wednesday.

Quote from: giftgrub on April 08, 2024, 07:55:42 PMStena Line also announced today they have purchased a share in Africa Morocco Link

I am generally critical in all these big investments now in Gibraltar-street from DFDS and now "copied" from Stena.
I do NOT see any big growing of freight-volumes and also not any big growing of Pax-volumes in the next 20, 30 years.
And other ferry-companies as f.ex. Balearia want also have strong market-shares.
And "1000" new longer routes between Europe and Africa could be opened theoretic by every other ferry-company (f.ex. Huelva-Morroco) taking away a small part of the customers.
So maybe every month and year 16 trucks than in the month the year before - but shared with 4 competitors = only 4 trucks more. So i see a minimal growing - but for this small volumes invest so much money ???
I think all this money from DFDS and Stena could has been much better invested in other ferry-routes, new bigger more comfortable ferries etc. . And FRS and Attica are very happy to have got so much money for nearly worthless old ships and and routes in a very complicated business-area.

My speculation for the Stena-fleet:
Very Old big Pax-ferries as Europe, Danica, Nautica etc. will go down to Gibraltar-street soon.
And in the 30ies f.ex. the both North-Channel Superfasts could follow replaced with new E-Flexer.
Speculation 2029: 2 oldest DFDS Dover-ferries operating "against" Danica and Nautica or Spirit. 

Very interesting, that Stena (as DFDS too) start again with fast Catamaran operation also.   

giftgrub

Still no sign of Horizon leaving drydock in Falmouth yet according to time table now due back at the weekend but not scheduled to leave Falmouth at the moment, with Bore Song due on the 12th and releasing Nordica will Europe be kept on route for a few more days and Nordica put onto Rosslare Cherbourg to cover if the Horizon does not return ?

One thing to note, although Europe is cancelled today it has been very reliable in the last few weeks so one assumes the bow thruster issue was fixed, no sign of its lifeboats being returned yet.