Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

There was something about the sale of Ark Fowarder / MSC Bridge over the weekend, cannot find it now, did have an Image of the ferry with light yellowish funnels.

giftgrub

Quote from: giftgrub on December 10, 2018, 09:19:59 PM
There was something about the sale of Ark Fowarder / MSC Bridge over the weekend, cannot find it now, did have an Image of the ferry with light yellowish funnels.

Found post on a Stena enthusiast page on The Facebook it has been edited I think from its original form based on a reply from Steven, has the image I saw.

giftgrub

In other news the Stena Adventurer is getting a Hygge lounge

https://www.stenaline.ie/ferries/stena-adventurer/hyggelounge

Will probably find its way onto Superfast X and maybe even Stena Europe also during their respective refits.

Matt D

My understanding is that the ARK FORWARDER which is now the MSC BRIDGE was sold by Stena to MSC in May. She was initially chartered by them back in March and operates to Rades in Tunisia from Italy carrying containers which are loaded onto her vehicle decks. MSC apparently wanted the vessel because of delays loading containers conventionally in Tunisa. The sale leaves the Stena Forerunner as the only remaining 4-Runner owned by Stena but for how much longer?

Matt D.
Nothing about her sale on any of the Stena trading updates that I can see which would be expected if she had sold been like her sisters (as laid-down).
Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:54:45 PM by Steven

Yes it's odd isn't it that nothing appears to have been announced. Equasis shows MSC as the registered owner since 23 May 2018

Matt D

Paul Arbuckle

Quote from: Steven on December 08, 2018, 02:16:27 AM
Quote from: Matt D on December 06, 2018, 07:34:16 AM
According to the live Stena Line freight timetables the Cherbourg sailings of the STENA HORIZON appear to be cancelled from 1st of January and she appears to be operating on the Birkenhead - Belfast route. Presumably whilst the vessels on there are dry docked?

Matt D.
The only "cancellations" I've seen over the past 2 days on the route are what I'd normally expect to see over the Xmas and New Year period.  The problem of course with the live timetable is just that - it's live!  If something is being changed on it then thats what you see, even if it's only temporary while something else is being changed.   At present Horizon is showing as being on her own route and the Birkenhead route at the same time, with Lagan being the other vessel on the Birkenhead run for the entirety of January!  Thats obviously not going to be the case if both vessels are to be dry docked this year, which I believe they are.

It has been normal practice in recent years for Horizon to cover Birkenhead though, while the relief vessel covers the France route (Flavia or Nordica in recent years).  Still no public announcement as to the relief vessel but I'd be surprised if it isn't Nordica tbh.  I'm sure something public will appear in the coming days or weeks anyway, given we are talking 3 weeks away now.  Perhaps they are delaying the "announcement" for operational or commercial reasons?

Edit:  by something public I don't necessarily mean any specific announcement or press release, more likely the name of the vessel on the timetable will simply change or a different vessel will just appear!  Bookings are still being taken so there's definitely something running

I just had a call from Stena re my booking Cherbourg-Rosslare on 4th Jan. They are offering all sorts of inducements to go Landbridge, but this means travelling to Calais-Dover and then to Fishguard-Rosslare. They say this is because they are using a smaller ship to replace Stena Horizon.

giftgrub

Stena Nordica is the replacement for Horizon.

Steven

Quote from: Matt D on December 11, 2018, 09:27:22 PM

My understanding is that the ARK FORWARDER which is now the MSC BRIDGE was sold by Stena to MSC in May. She was initially chartered by them back in March and operates to Rades in Tunisia from Italy carrying containers which are loaded onto her vehicle decks. MSC apparently wanted the vessel because of delays loading containers conventionally in Tunisa. The sale leaves the Stena Forerunner as the only remaining 4-Runner owned by Stena but for how much longer?

Matt D.
Nothing about her sale on any of the Stena trading updates that I can see which would be expected if she had sold been like her sisters (as laid-down).
Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:54:45 PM by Steven

Yes it's odd isn't it that nothing appears to have been announced. Equasis shows MSC as the registered owner since 23 May 2018

Matt D

Asking around it seems she might be on some sort of hire-purchase type arrangement, rather than it having been a straight sale.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Images posted on a The Facebook today show the Stena Europe has a dent on the Starboard side of the bow above the clamshell doors.

Looks like it whacked the berth in Fishguard during the recent windy weather and  hit one of the legs that support the ramp.

Damage looks superficial so more than fixable during refit.

giftgrub

Steven

Stena Nordica has appeared on the booking engine covering Horizon during January.  Rumours are back regarding life extension for Stena Europe - 2019 could be the year.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-nordica-to-return-to-the-irish-sea-in-2019/
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Stena Nordica appears to have finished service in Gdynia, tied up since Dec 22nd and is showing arrival in Gothenburg for December 28th, after that next stop Rosslare.

giftgrub

Stena Nordica is at Gothenburg anchorage bunkering for its trip to Rosslare, currently expected to arrive on Tuesday morning in Rosslare.

The Nordica is not due back in a Sweden until June, this would suggest Stena Europe is going for its life extending refit once the Lagan, Mersey and Superfasts have been refitted.

No confirmation of the Stena Europe refit yet, but given the work required it is expected to take place in a mainland Europe shipyard and if they fit scrubbers (which will soon be required on Irish Sea)  we could see the iconic funnel replaced/modified.

giftgrub

Nordica off the coast of Denmark and eta Rosslare Harbour on Tuesday Jan 1st at 10.00 am

First sailing on 3rd Jan Sold Out, 5th Jan Sold out, 8th Jan availability, 10th Jan Sold Out.

So a busy start for Nordica and crew when it returns to service on Irish Sea.

giftgrub

Stena Horizon now in Belfast to provide refit cover for Birkenhead service,  Stena Lagan now in drydock.

Nordica has passed Isle of White and due in Rosslare tomorrow morning.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-horizon-arrival-lagan-dry-dock/

giftgrub

Stena Forerunner expected in Rosslare in the morning to cover for Nordica making a return to Cherbourg and back to North channel on Monday.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-forerunner-to-make-rosslare-to-cherbourg-round-trip/