Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

Quite a few changes in the Stena Line / RoRo fleet in recent weeks.

On the North channel the Stena Scotia and Stena Forerunner have replaced the Seatruck twins

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-performer-re-emerges-from-dry-dock-as-seatruck-performance/

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-line-heysham-birkenhead-update/

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-forerunner-in-belfast-first-time/

On the RoRo side they have sold two of their freighters which must have been very annoying for the Stena
Line North Sea operation which has two of its vessels switch to the North channel, could have been handy to use these to cover on the North Sea

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-confirm-the-sale-of-stena-carrier-and-stena-freighter-to-unknown-buyers/

Stena Carrier is going to Baja ferries in Mexico and spent a few weeks in Dun Laoghaire earlier this year.

And in Sweden the new Stena Vinga is in drydock being transformed from the Hammerode to Stena Vinga and repainted in Stena Livery and joining the Danica and Jutlandica in Gothenburg.

Matt73

Quote from: giftgrub on September 04, 2018, 10:10:17 PM
Quite a few changes in the Stena Line / RoRo fleet in recent weeks.

On the North channel the Stena Scotia and Stena Forerunner have replaced the Seatruck twins

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-performer-re-emerges-from-dry-dock-as-seatruck-performance/

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-line-heysham-birkenhead-update/

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-forerunner-in-belfast-first-time/

Re the Harwich-Europort service, is this a reflection of declining volumes?  As I understand it, that's why the Carrier and the Freighter were replaced by the Cobelfret twins.   The Harwich-Hook route giants seem to be swallowing most of it.

Incidentally, I assume that Hollandica/Britannica have more lane metres than even the forthcoming stretched E-Flexer?

Matt

Matt

On the RoRo side they have sold two of their freighters which must have been very annoying for the Stena
Line North Sea operation which has two of its vessels switch to the North channel, could have been handy to use these to cover on the North Sea

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-confirm-the-sale-of-stena-carrier-and-stena-freighter-to-unknown-buyers/

Stena Carrier is going to Baja ferries in Mexico and spent a few weeks in Dun Laoghaire earlier this year.

And in Sweden the new Stena Vinga is in drydock being transformed from the Hammerode to Stena Vinga and repainted in Stena Livery and joining the Danica and Jutlandica in Gothenburg.

giftgrub

In relation to the North Sea twins they have 5,500 lane metres while the EFlexer + will have 3,600, so still a massive difference in size.

In relation to the North channel, the Forerunner is expected to go back to the North Sea in January and I would expect the next of the sister vessels in the Stena RoRo fleet to come off charter to replace it.

They can carry huge volumes of freight and next year, this may be very important, time to get ready and have capacity available.

Great E Flexer article here

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-e-flexer-overview/

(Thanks to all involved in niferry site, great resource to have available)

Matt73

Quote from: giftgrub on September 05, 2018, 10:14:54 PM
In relation to the North Sea twins they have 5,500 lane metres while the EFlexer + will have 3,600, so still a massive difference in size.

In relation to the North channel, the Forerunner is expected to go back to the North Sea in January and I would expect the next of the sister vessels in the Stena RoRo fleet to come off charter to replace it.

They can carry huge volumes of freight and next year, this may be very important, time to get ready and have capacity available.

Thank you as always.  I had a feeling there was a big difference in lane metres, but couldn't recall prescisely. 

Matt

ferryfan

SFX carrying out berthing trials on berth 49 in Dublin this afternoon?

Steven

Quote from: ferryfan on September 09, 2018, 04:43:17 PM
SFX carrying out berthing trials on berth 49 in Dublin this afternoon?
She did.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steven

Thanks for your kind comments GG.  Hopefully I (and of course the contributors) can continue to provide a useful resource.  (I've been unable to login here for some time but finally achieved it this evening)

STENA VINGA is now in service (and looking much nicer in Stena livery) and has released STENA GOTHICA to replace STENA NORDICA on Travemünde-Liepaja
STENA NORDICA will be returning to the Karlskrona - Gdynia route again next month as an additional vessel (HUGE growth on that route)
STENA FREIGHTER has been sold to Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin and will transport rocket components!

Matt73

Quote from: Steven on September 23, 2018, 08:14:12 PM

Thanks for your kind comments GG.  Hopefully I (and of course the contributors) can continue to provide a useful resource.  (I've been unable to login here for some time but finally achieved it this evening)

STENA VINGA is now in service (and looking much nicer in Stena livery) and has released STENA GOTHICA to replace STENA NORDICA on Travemünde-Liepaja
STENA NORDICA will be returning to the Karlskrona - Gdynia route again next month as an additional vessel (HUGE growth on that route)
STENA FREIGHTER has been sold to Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin and will transport rocket components!

Thanks Steven,

Re Karlskrona-Gydnia, do you think that the stretched E-Flexers might be destined there?

Matt

giftgrub

The E-Flexer+ are practically designed for the Poland Sweden services, replace four Ferries with two.

Stena Vinga seems to be settling down to service on Gothenburg Fredrickshaven although there were big delays as it does not have a bow ramp on first few crossings.

Images

http://teienforumbilder.blogspot.com/2018/09/blog-post.html

Wonder if we will see Stena Vinga on Irish Sea providing cover during refit period ?

Steven

Quote from: Matt73 on September 26, 2018, 05:31:25 PM
Quote from: Steven on September 23, 2018, 08:14:12 PM

Thanks Steven,

Re Karlskrona-Gydnia, do you think that the stretched E-Flexers might be destined there?

Matt
Totally possible.  Chances are Stena haven't even 100% decided yet though.  Volumes on that route seem to only be going one way, and running 4 vessels just to meet demand can't be that efficient.

Quote from: giftgrub on September 26, 2018, 10:18:22 PM
The E-Flexer+ are practically designed for the Poland Sweden services, replace four Ferries with two.

Stena Vinga seems to be settling down to service on Gothenburg Fredrickshaven although there were big delays as it does not have a bow ramp on first few crossings.

Images

http://teienforumbilder.blogspot.com/2018/09/blog-post.html

Wonder if we will see Stena Vinga on Irish Sea providing cover during refit period ?

With how traffic is growing I wouldn't be surprised if one of the current vessels stayed on IF the two larger E-Flexers go there anyway. 

I'd rule STENA VINGA out as refit relief on the Irish Sea because of her stern-only loading capability and freight capacity.  Given how successful she has been in the past Nordica would be my bet to be honest - she can literally cover every route in the Irish Sea network (except Heysham of course) if required. 

There's also E-Flexer number 1 to hopefully turn up at some stage as well of course.  It could be an interesting year for Stena Line Irish Sea with the odd surprise as well.

giftgrub

Rumor on the Facebook that Stena Nordica will indeed be providing refit cover for the Irish Sea fleet in 2019, also providing cover for Stena Europe next year. Space charter on Inishmore not happening.

It remains to be seen if Europe gets its mega life extender refit which might be scrubbers , MES and various other major jobs, or the Irish Sea fleet keeps Superfast X and Europe gets replaced or even sent back to Sweden alongside Stena Nautica.

seaman

Looking at the Europe and when sailed on her in august, the so called "new stern ramps" are to me very likely to be prepared to fit the ramp in Gothenburg or another port like the new one in Halmstad if she is supposed to go there, might be wrong but.... And i mean, the rusted out bar that was running along the ship, might be as well be a preparation to make the MES possible. If she's supposed to be done soon why would they invest in new name signs on deck 10 and so on.

But there was a rumour that Stena also want to keep the Vision and Spirit going for TWENTY more years?!?! To me it would be very surprising it would. According to me Stena Line has the biggest quantity of old vessels (30+ years old) going in Northern Europe, and even if Stena Europe would be replaced and finished they still face the challenge of replacing the Saga, Danica, Nautica, Vision, Spirit and the Sassnitz on Trelleborg-Sassnitz route. Still so many of them left...

giftgrub

All totally valid points, one would think  that Europe will be kept, only downside would be how many millions it requires, possible additional work

Scrubbers
MES
Enclosed bridge wings
Engine, gearbox, prop shaft refurbish/ renewal
Fuel tanks/ballast tanks, replace renew
Complete strip back to bare metal hull and decks and replace fatigued areas
Replace windows and frames
Refurbish cabins, toilets and crew areas
Refit passenger areas
Replace customer toilets

However if they were to spend and get another 10 years from the ferry, money well spent given a new ferry is 100 million +

SEA

Could we see the Superfast 10 on the Rosslare Fishguard Route ?  . The reason I  say this is when the new e Flexer arrives on Dublin Holyhead route in 2020 where will Superfast 10 go ?? .Of course I do not know if it will fit the Berth in FIshguard and indeed its a year away . However it may be an deal Candidate for the route.

Steven

Quote from: SEA on November 26, 2018, 04:52:12 PM
Could we see the Superfast 10 on the Rosslare Fishguard Route ?  . The reason I  say this is when the new e Flexer arrives on Dublin Holyhead route in 2020 where will Superfast 10 go ?? .Of course I do not know if it will fit the Berth in FIshguard and indeed its a year away . However it may be an deal Candidate for the route.

Not without the huge infrastructure investment that has already been ruled out for now.  Even then she's far from ideal anyway.  I can't see SFX staying in the Stena fleet to be honest.

Quote from: seaman on November 24, 2018, 09:10:24 PM
Looking at the Europe and when sailed on her in august, the so called "new stern ramps" are to me very likely to be prepared to fit the ramp in Gothenburg or another port like the new one in Halmstad if she is supposed to go there, might be wrong but.... And i mean, the rusted out bar that was running along the ship, might be as well be a preparation to make the MES possible. If she's supposed to be done soon why would they invest in new name signs on deck 10 and so on.

But there was a rumour that Stena also want to keep the Vision and Spirit going for TWENTY more years?!?! To me it would be very surprising it would. According to me Stena Line has the biggest quantity of old vessels (30+ years old) going in Northern Europe, and even if Stena Europe would be replaced and finished they still face the challenge of replacing the Saga, Danica, Nautica, Vision, Spirit and the Sassnitz on Trelleborg-Sassnitz route. Still so many of them left...

Why would they ever want to move Europe to Gothenburg.  Part of the reason for moving to Halmstad is to allow the use of larger modern tonnage - a 40 year old ferry with small vehicle decks by modern standards would be the opposite of this.

Life extension of Stena Europe is Fishguard's best bet at the moment IMHO.  It'll be a big investment though, but as giftgrub says a lot cheaper than a new build.  Such a new build would also have limited use elsewhere of course as it would need to be built for the Fishguard route which is a bit unusual by modern standards in terms of traffic. Getting say 10 years out of Europe (which has been long paid for) would give Stena time to assess the situation with regard to the route and decide whether to put in major money or walk away.  Given the huge cost of upgrading Fishguard to accommodate more modern tonnage which might not be as suitable as the existing vessel anyway, it might be cheaper to just upgrade Stena Europe instead!  Stena aren't the only large operator with older tonnage - perhaps we will see a lot more life extension happening given the costs of building new.