Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RorieLen

Quote from: IFPete on June 10, 2018, 03:41:05 PM
Quote from: Steven on June 09, 2018, 12:15:25 AM
Quote from: RorieLen on May 30, 2018, 02:18:53 PM
Quote from: SEA on May 30, 2018, 10:22:19 AM
The Stena Carrier has departed Dun Laoghaire and is on her way to Teesport .

As predicted... chartered to P&O for the Teeeport-Rotterdam Route to replace Estraden.

Adding to this, ESTRADEN has replaced MISTRAL on the Teesport - Zeebrugge route hence giving P&O the capacity increase they were talking about last month.  Interestingly though MISTRAL is coming to "various" Stena Line Irish Sea routes on a sub-charter for a few months, according to her owners Facebook page a few days ago.

As mentioned in the appropriate thread, E-Flexer 1 has been confirmed as Holyhead bound, with 2 and 4 destined for Belfast - Birkenhead.  This will of course free up Stena owned (most likely) STENA SUPERFAST X, STENA LAGAN, STENA MERSEY and the additional freight vessel at Birkenhead (currently the chartered STENA PRECISION) for use elsewhere or charter.  Current speculation suggests STENA SUPERFAST X will make her way south to Fishguard to replace STENA EUROPE which by then will be almost 40!  What happens with Lagan and Mersey in the long term could depend on whether the final options on the E-Flexers are exercised and were they go of course.

I though e-flexer 2 and 5 were going to belfast. with 3 and 6 going to BF and 4 going to DFDS

No, three of the first four are going to Stena Line routes. No3 is for Brittany Ferries which leaves No2 and No4 for Belfast-Birkenhead. No5 is the first one of the second 'batch' which will be heavily modified for DFDS and no6 is for Brittany Ferries.

http://news.cision.com/stena-roro/r/stena-roro-signs-contract-for-newbuild-for-long-term-charter-to-dfds,c2506314

http://news.cision.com/stena-roro/r/stena-roro-places-an-order-for-a-further-newbuild-and-signs-a-10-year-charter-contract-with-brittany,c2531936

IFPete

Thank you.  I wonder will DFD order more e-flexers.

RorieLen

If the final two are ordered I'd suggest Stena Line may find a use for them in their Baltic Route Network... perhaps as replacements for Stena Spirit and Stena Vision operating from Gdynia to Karlskrona...

seaman

We'll just have to wait and see, but i'm sure that 2020's will be a century that Stena Line will begin withdrawals of the 80's vessels.

But i can tell despite everything Stena Europe is in a decent condition though in my opinion, but we have to realise that age is catching up with her as well, and despite Stena Vision for example being 6 years newer you can clearly see that it has some wear and tear. The so called Comfort class cabins could do with a big refit, but only thing that has been done is to paint the walls in the bathrooms on them, and that's it, they've been like that since they left the Germany route in 2010.

The reason that Stena Danica may be in an excellent condition is because it stays in Gothenburg during the day some days, according to a friend who works onboard he tells me that it requires quite a lot of maintenance in the latest days, he's even had some questions from some Gothenburgers about when the Göteborg-Frederikshavn will have a new ship as the Danica has been there for all it's eternity...

ferryfan

I would of thought that the main factor in determining the future of Stena Europe will be fuel efficiency.

IFPete

How have Rosslare - Fishguard passenger and freight numbers changed since they moved the sailing times.

Steven

Quote from: seaman on June 10, 2018, 08:15:43 PM
We'll just have to wait and see, but i'm sure that 2020's will be a century that Stena Line will begin withdrawals of the 80's vessels.

But i can tell despite everything Stena Europe is in a decent condition though in my opinion, but we have to realise that age is catching up with her as well, and despite Stena Vision for example being 6 years newer you can clearly see that it has some wear and tear. The so called Comfort class cabins could do with a big refit, but only thing that has been done is to paint the walls in the bathrooms on them, and that's it, they've been like that since they left the Germany route in 2010.

The reason that Stena Danica may be in an excellent condition is because it stays in Gothenburg during the day some days, according to a friend who works onboard he tells me that it requires quite a lot of maintenance in the latest days, he's even had some questions from some Gothenburgers about when the Göteborg-Frederikshavn will have a new ship as the Danica has been there for all it's eternity...
My money would be on Spirit and Vision being replaced by Eflexer 7 and 8.  As for Danica there are plans for new vessels for the route around 2030 but they are still at the concept stage.  If they happen they will be something really special and quite groundbreaking.  The problem with Danica is she is so loved that she's going to be a really hard act to follow.  Not sure she can make 2030 but we'll see. 

With regard to Saga, when she's finished I think the route will be too if I'm honest.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

seaman

Article in Swedish, Stena Gothica is getting replaced by Hammerodde.

https://www.expressen.se/gt/stena-line-ersatter-danmarksfarja-med-nytt-fartyg/

Article says that there are also gonna be changes on the Karlskrona-Gdynia and the Travemunde-Liepaja routes as well!

Update:

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/stena_line/pressreleases/stena-line-foerflyttar-tre-fartyg-foer-att-staerka-linjenaetet-2540110

Steam Gothica will sail on Travemunde-Liepaja, Steam Nordica will return permanently to Karlskrona-Gdynia

Matt73

Quote from: Steven on June 12, 2018, 03:58:47 PM

My money would be on Spirit and Vision being replaced by Eflexer 7 and 8.  As for Danica there are plans for new vessels for the route around 2030 but they are still at the concept stage.  If they happen they will be something really special and quite groundbreaking.  The problem with Danica is she is so loved that she's going to be a really hard act to follow.  Not sure she can make 2030 but we'll see. 

With regard to Saga, when she's finished I think the route will be too if I'm honest.

What would be the rationale for closing the route be Steven?

Thanks

Matt

IFPete

Stena Jutlandica and Isle of inismore would make good running mates

Steven

Quote from: Matt73 on June 14, 2018, 07:02:47 PM
Quote from: Steven on June 12, 2018, 03:58:47 PM

What would be the rationale for closing the route be Steven?

Thanks

Matt

The sheer cost of acquiring a suitable replacement vessel for a start!  Its not a route you can just stick a standard RoPax on. They'd never make the money back.

Steven

Quote from: seaman on June 13, 2018, 12:14:27 PM
Article in Swedish, Stena Gothica is getting replaced by Hammerodde.

https://www.expressen.se/gt/stena-line-ersatter-danmarksfarja-med-nytt-fartyg/

Article says that there are also gonna be changes on the Karlskrona-Gdynia and the Travemunde-Liepaja routes as well!

Update:

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/stena_line/pressreleases/stena-line-foerflyttar-tre-fartyg-foer-att-staerka-linjenaetet-2540110

Steam Gothica will sail on Travemunde-Liepaja, Steam Nordica will return permanently to Karlskrona-Gdynia
The English press release

QuoteAfter summer, Stena Line will re-deploy three ships on three routes. The target is to further improve service and accessibility for customers and optimise operations in line with market developments.

"We are now implementing a strategically important development to further strengthen three of our major transport corridors. Demand for capacity is increasing and we constantly evaluate our business as the market develops and our customers' demands. Because we have built-in flexibility in our business, we can be agile and implement these types of changes in our network with short notice", says Stena Line's CEO Niclas Mårtensson.

New tonnage on Göteborg-Frederikshavn

Stena Line now takes the next step in the growth strategy on the Göteborg-Frederikshavn route. The RoPax vessel Hammerodde will be taken into operation in the middle of September, replacing Stena Gothica.

"We will have a product better suited for both our freight customers and passenger's needs on this route. We will open up for car passengers on Hammerodde which will mean increased capacity on the passenger side. In conjunction with the change, we will also concentrate all traffic to Denmark at Masthuggskajen, which will increase availability and service for our customers", says Tony Michaelsen, Trade Director of Region Denmark.

Hammerodde was acquired from the Bornholm shipping company Faergen by Stena about a year ago and will switch to a Stena Line name in due course.

Sister ships strengthen Travemünde-Liepaja

In the middle of September, Stena Gothica will return to her former route Travemünde-Liepaja where she will operate together with her sister ship M/V Urd.

"We have strong growth on our routes connecting the Baltics with Scandinavia and Germany/West Central Europe. Stena Gothica will be an important addition in which we will be able to offer our customers a standardised product on all departures with two sister vessels, which will facilitate our freight customers´ transports and meet the market demand for freight capacity", says Erik Thulin, Trade Director in Baltic Sea North.

Four permanent RoPax vessels on Karlskrona-Gdynia

Stena Gothica replaces Stena Nordica who will be placed on the Karlskrona-Gdynia route in October, after the charter of M/V Gute is over and the ship returns to Gotlandsbolaget.

Karlskrona-Gdynia is a strategically important corridor between Sweden and Poland that has been growing steady during recent years.

"Growth is still strong between Karlskrona and Gdynia, and with Stena Nordica twice as big as Gute, we will be able to offer our customers even better accessibility. In addition, Stena Nordica has a double tier configuration, which gives significant time gains during loading and unloading. Stena Nordica will also complement Stena Baltica in a good way as they are similar vessels, which means that we will be able to offer our customers an efficient RoPax concept on all four vessels, as well as a strong passenger concept on Stena Vision and Stena Spirit, says Marek Kiersnowski, Trade Director, Baltic Sea South.

Main facts Stena Nordica

Built: 2000, Japan, Mitsubishi

Length: 169.8 m

Beam: 24 m

Draft: 6 m

Capacity: 1 950 lane meters

Main facts Stena Gothica

Built: 1981/2001/2015, Apuania, Italy

Length: 171 m

Beam: 21 m

Draft: 5,3 m

Capacity: 1 598 lane meters

Main facts Hammerodde

Built: 2005, B.V. Schps & Mfbk De Merwede v/h van Vliet & Co, Hardinxveld, Holland

Length: 130 m

Beam: 23 m

Draft: 5,6 m

Capacity: 1 538 lane meters

https://news.cision.com/stena-line/r/stena-line-re-deploys-three-ships-to-strengthen-the-route-network,c2546741

Wilty

When the eflexers come to repalce the Lagan & the Mersey. I wonder if Stena would send them both to Rosslare to start a daily French service. The Horizon could then be handed back to its owners. With all the unknowns about Brexit, the direct service will probably boom.

IFPete

Lets see how the market goes post Brexit.

My Money is on Stena Lagan and Mersey going to Baltic.

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on June 15, 2018, 02:18:30 PM
Lets see how the market goes post Brexit.

My Money is on Stena Lagan and Mersey going to Baltic.
We agree on something then ;). 

Perhaps Cherbourg could be in line for one of the vessels, but it will be tempting to keep identical sisters together.  If Stena decide to purchase Horizon she could always be upgraded to or beyond the specification of Lagan and Mersey anyway.